1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Alien Baptism

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by thjplgvp, Jan 26, 2016.

1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Salty if you are asking me if I would accept those baptisms as legit I would not.

It just seems to me that things that have been practiced by our forefathers for years in recent times have come under much scrutiny. Many seem to be under the impression that if the bible does not say something in black and white or red and white it is non-biblical forgetting that the bible is also a book of principles and practical instruction for living. To my knowledge the shepherd is still to protect his flock is that not correct? While Internet Theologian brought up a valid point that even our best efforts do not always keep out error in the church body should we not still do our best to keep it out?

Paul warned the Miletus believers that after he left there would be those who would come among them as wolves seeking to destroy the flock. How do wolves operate in the wild do they not try to get an animal to break away from the heard and go it alone? To me this what people who peddle false doctrine do. They try to get a believer to listen to them and pull them apart from their support group hence they become a wolf seeking to subvert proper bible doctrine but in order to do this they come into the flock and make connections with the people.

I have had this conversation with several people who hold to similar views as Rev, Keven, Int. Theologian and Annsi and while I respect their choices as believers I wonder what the lack of doctrinal perspective will reveal in their ministries either now or down the road, because it comes across (to me) as being ecumenical. As Baptist's we are to be distinct and we are to be separated both personally and ecclesiastically we have a rich history of not joining those churches on the broad road. Baptism is not salvation we say it is one of two ordinances for the local church yet we are not squeamish about practicing closed or close communion yet we seem to have problems with requiring someone to join us on our terms via baptism. We are not joining those who want to join correct? They are joining us correct? If you are from Europe or South America and you want to be a citizen of the USA do you not renounce your citizenship of the country you are from? Except in special circumstances that is the nature of citizenship so why is it so odd that a pastor or a church would require you to renounce your former membership and accept the new membership?

Our Anabaptist forefathers had no problem with requiring people to get re-baptized. I am probably beating a dead horse here but it does seem important to me.

thjplgvp

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three comments, brother. First, I agree that we are separated to an extent by doctrine as we teach within our own distinct theologies and we are to be separate in conduct from the world. I disagree that we are to separate from other believers and even other churches that hold different interpretations but instead are to be united in Christ. Being united is holding the same true Gospel (I am not saying to accept baptisms of non-Christian groups, and this is ultimately of course up to the local church ..... We are after all, Baptist ). That said, I would consider it an addition to the gospel to re-baptize anyone who had been biblically baptized already (to include rededication baptisms) as this redefines baptism all together. Baptism is an identification with Christ, not specific local bodies.

Second, our Anabaptist forefathers would also have separated from those Christians in the military, serving public office, police officers, etc. We are indebted to them for their struggles and for standing for truth against Reformed persecutions. Their understanding of separation from the world is slso unbiblical. And their understanding of the atonement is not the traditional Baptist view (although I appreciate their position here,). In short, they are not us.

Third, with your comparison if re-baptizing to becoming a citizen of the US (renouncing your old citizenship) you seem to be implying a different definition of baptism than is in the Bible. What you are saying is that people (if baptized biblically) should renounce their baptism in Christ in order to be baptized into your denomination. It seems that your position views baptism as the Presbyterians view it (as a circumcision of sorts, being baptized into a community).

Sent from my TARDIS

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a person makes a confession of faith in Jesus as savior, states he has repented and believed, can point to a date (or at least a time in their life) when this happened, has been baptized by immersion, would your church require re-baptism?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also consider my own growth when I was saved I held different theological views. As I developed (and continued to grow) these positions changed to a great extent. My soteriology changed. My view of election, predestination, church government, civil authority and the responsibility of the believer within secular government....so much has changed. What never changed was my basic understanding of the gospel. I was just as saved, just as baptized in Christ, as then as I am now. For me, I could never reject my baptism.

Sent from my TARDIS

5. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Thanks again for your replies. I just saw a similar thread in Baptist history and so I will not comment on this again on this thread I will instead move on to the Baptist history thread. I did not mean to duplicate a similar thread. my apologies. :)

thjplgvp

6. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I grew up in the Church of Christ. I was baptized at 12 or 13 years old. It was full immersion. It was trinitarian.

However, when I wanted to join an SBC church that was very IFB-like, the condition was that I be scripturally baptized. The reason being was that the CoC believes in baptismal regeneration. At CoC, you MUST be baptized to be saved....the baptism is how you contact the Blood of Christ. And the leadership at the Baptist church actually had a point...such a baptism isn't scripturally correct.

So after much prayer, I consented and was baptized at this baptist church.

We had a split in our association over alien baptism. A man up for ordination came from a charismatic Jesus-only, you'd better be speaking in tongues when you come up out of the water background. This was all brought to light during the questioning session during the ordination! The ordination candidate refused to be baptized in a trinitarian way (in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit). At that point, mt pastor and a few others politely excused themselves. But later on, all the other churches in the association withdrew fellowship from the church who presented this candidate.

It was quite the Bru hahaha. And I'm glad I have a Pastor with principles.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One is not baptized into a denomination, one is baptized into Christ.
    My church would be very reluctant to re-baptize anyone who was Scripturally baptized upon his confession of faith. We have a lady in membership who was baptized in a Pentecostal church and we see no reason or Biblical mandate to re-baptize. We did, of course, ensure that she was saved and in sympathy with our constitution and Statement of faith before admitting her into membership.

We would re-baptize someone 'baptized' as an adult into the Church of Rome as we do not see that as a fully Christian denomination.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Foolish and unlearned question: If the Pope were to be converted and wanted to join your Church, would his infant baptism be accepted?

The issue is about authority--scriptural authority. In this age of ecumenism this issue has to be ignored because if Rome is a usurper of authority, so are the daughters. The majority of Christendom does not have a problem with scriptural authority--they ignore it--taking a stand would reveal the vulnerability of scriptural authority to baptize. See "Trilemma--or Death by Three Horns," by J.R. Graves.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#28 Bro. James, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't believe anyone here would accept an infant baptism since it is not a baptism as per scripture - a believer's baptism. You believe and then are baptized. But I do think many baptisms in other churches/parachurches are valid. As I said, my husband was baptized by believers at the Creation music festival in the 70s. It was not under a church authority but it was a valid believer's baptism.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree that the issue is about the authority of the church body (which is Grave's argument) if that is the direction you mean (If not, then I've misunderstood based on the Graves reference....I do believe that baptism is to be administered under biblical authority). It certainly was not true with Philip and the Ethiopian (and if we claim apostolic authority then we are approaching a Catholic understanding). Which reminds me, for all of it's admonishments against the RCC, Landmarkism has always appeared to have an extraordinarily catholic view of the Church when it comes to administering the "sacraments" (which is what the ordinance of baptism approaches when it's effect or legitimacy becomes dependent upon the authenticity of a specific governing body and the minister performing the ceremony).

I also have trouble with the reference, or at least, with accepting J.R. Graves' landmarkism when applied here as he usurped the authority of the local church when faced with church discipline against his own actions. Landmarkism has never been about true Church history, but has always chosen to justify itself by grasping towards the past but has also always come up empty. For Graves, he rebelled against his own church, caused a split, because "Landmarkism" did not really apply to First Baptist Nashville but to his own ideologies. I appreciate his work on several issues and his contributions to the SBC. However, I do believe that his view here was in error (and in theory, anyone could and many have taken up his doctrine and applied it to their own situations). But that's just a side note.

Again, I took your comment to be a reference to baptism under scriptural authority to mean under the authority of a specific church or denomination. I did so based on the J.R. Graves quote. If, however, I have misunderstood your comment and intention, then please accept my apologies. I believe baptism is to be performed under the authority of Scripture as a function of the Body of Christ but that it's validity depends on the one being baptized rather than the minister or local body performing the ordinance.

#30 JonC, Feb 1, 2016
  11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Baptism and ordinance of the church or is it just an ordinance of individual Christians?

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say both. I think it important that the local church baptize, but I believe baptism alludes to the believers status in Christ and not necessarily the local church (I don't think the Ethiopian would have needed to be rebaptized if he decided to join the church in Corinth).

So its an ordinance given to the Church, not as an indication with a local assembly but Christ. To re-baptize someone biblically baptized is to redefine biblical baptism. The ongoing ordinance is the Lord's Supper.

Sent from my TARDIS

#32 JonC, Feb 1, 2016
  13. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alien baptism? Who dunked 'E.T.'??

14. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is an ordinance of the Church universal. I do not see in the Bible any indication that people should be re-baptized after once having been baptized as a believer. I hear of people being 'baptized' three, four, five times and I see no justification for it. We must get away from denominationalism. We are baptized into Christ, not into a church or denomination.

The one case of re-baptism occurs in Acts 19:1-7. It is clear here that the men had not originally been baptized into Christ (cf. v.4).

Someone asked if we should re-baptize the Pope if he were converted. We should baptize him, but the real question would be whether we are as sure as we can be that he is saved before we bring him into church membership.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said they should. What I have an issue with is using the Ethiopian as an example to avoid the authority of the church over Baptism.

16. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I see this thread did not cease but continues to move forward therefore I will post my comments.

I do not deny that baptism is an outward testimony of what took place inwardly, which is salvation. History records many who believed the waters of baptism were linked with the salvation of the souls of men as Augustine, Luther and Calvin taught and venerated the baptismal waters and defended with violence the sanctity of baptism even though they knew the mother church doctrine and practice was not scriptural.

Today we have an ongoing debate concerning Christian baptism without acknowledging that many of those who claim to be Christian are not so. Do we not hold people accountable for their doctrine or do we simply say "Ya all" come to everyone? It seems to me that the same groups who attack easy believeism then turn and accept without any proof that since Suzy said she was saved and baptized let’s bring her into our community of believers on her word only? Are you not accepting the same thing you are not accepting?

If we are autonomous churches is there truly any harm in striving to make sure that doctrinally all of our members are on the same page? Could it be we are not challenging their salvation but their doctrine? Asking a person to be re-Baptized is not the same as asking them to get saved again therefore technically we are not violating scripture we are asking for an outward sign from them that they have joined us and support the major doctrines found in the scripture. We reject Pentecostalism, Calvinism those who come from cultish backgrounds though we have nothing against those who practice Pentecostalism, Calvinism or Arminianism we do not want their doctrines spreading in our church and destroying the unity we have in Christ. There are numerous churches that hold to the doctrines they embrace so please go to those churches if you want to teach and preach those doctrines. But if you are going to embrace the fellowship of our church family then we ask that you not be divisive but come in unity of doctrine asking for you to be re-baptized lets us see your heart of unity. Should you resist, get angry, refuse we believe that simply reveals you are not wanting unify and therefore you would not be happy and probably cause dissention at some point in the future.

We wish you the best in your search for a church that you can be comfortable in.

thjplgvp

• Like Like x 1
  17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being Baptized is not the correct means to ensure we are all united in all doctrine. So long as someone can communicate that they fully understand salvation and exactly what the nature of Baptism is they should be Baptized as soon as possible.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Under what local church authority was the man baptized?

I agree it is Church authority insofar as the ordinance is given to the Church and performed by members of the Church (whether local churches or Christians).

Probably a better example would Conrad Grebel. But for illustration, suppose you were a layperson not formerly authorized by a local church (or not even a member,) and you witnessed to me, I am saved and ask you to baptize me. Regardless of whether you should or shouldn't, you do. I am saved, baptized by immersion, in the name of the Trinity, identifying with Christ through His death, burial, and resurrection. Does my baptism count?

Sent from my TARDIS

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me where that sets a standard for how we should do it or even makes an allowance.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that's what I'm asking.

Where is the legitimacy of ones baptism determined by the person doing the baptism in Scripture?
    Sent from my TARDIS

• Like Like x 1