1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alien cells from outer space?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 5, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

2. FollowMeHome

FollowMeHome New Member

Sorry, I thought this was a topic about Catholics.

Never mind.

3. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Interesting article.

This gives you some insight into the preconceived notions of the two researchers. They are looking for something to justify microorganism-bearing comets as responsible for you and me. There are as many theories (not facts) about the origin of life as there are theorists. Place the article in the round file. Go to Genesis 1:1 and the other references that I gave you earlier. :thumbs:

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But the article says that these cells survive and reproduce under temperatures where everything else which we know is dead. If this is really true then it has to be something new.

5. genesis12

genesis12 Member

IF IF IF this is really true. Don't speculate. Wait for the final report. It won't be true that these are alien creatures who populated the earth 4 billion years ago. That is scripturally unsound. In a word, dumb. :thumbs:

6. gekko

gekko New Member

speaking of "other life"...

how do we know that there isn't other life out there? how do we know if God's got some sort of the same thing going for some other galaxy solar system way out there? we dont. bible doesn't say anything about that. so we leave that alone - because it doesn't matter either way - it doesn't affect our salvation. right?

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. We know that atheist darwinism is not true - because we arleady have "God's account" of how HE created life on earth - in Genesis 1-2:3 and in Exodus 20:8-11. No need to pretend that "atheist darwinism" is our "only lead" on this ancient history.

#2. We know from things like Job 1 and 2 that God may well have created other life on other worlds - intelligent life. We see the same "indication" in Heb 1 where we find that Christ "Made the WORLDS".

But I don't think they have fallen into sin. I don't thing THEY followed the path of atheist darwinism to develop while only this planet was CREATED by our Creator - the King of the Universe, infinite God.

In Christ,

Bob

8. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I doubt very much that God has other life forms running around on other planets which he also has to take care of. Think about it. If there are aliens on other planets, also created by God, then why are they never mentioned? If God wants to spend eternity with us he would also want to spend eternity with them. Then the bible would have mentioned them.

9. gekko

gekko New Member

"Think about it. If there are aliens on other planets, also created by God, then why are they never mentioned?"

why? because they have nothing to do with us - with our salvation.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe there could be life on other planets, but no other species like humans. God made man in His image, and the Bible tells us that in the "New Earth", God will choose to live with man, here on Earth (albeit renewed). If there are other intelligent beings, will God transport them to the New Earth to live for eternity, also?

On a side note, I always wondered when Jesus said He was going to "prepare a place" for us, if we will each get our own planet, designed with us in mind, sorta like our own personal playground. That would be pretty cool.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Interesting topic.
    No don't believe in the possibility of aliens on other planets.
    A few reasons I've been thinking about for years.
    God created man, He told us all about His creations (Gen 1 and 2), why not the fact of other people on other planets? Man was God's final creation, He prepared the rest for man's exsistance, man was created for relationship. What about others? where are they in all this?
    The bible says all have sinned, we believe all are sinners except God Himself(the trinity), what about others on other planets? Are they sinners too? They'd have to be is all are sinners, otherwise all aren't sinners. Did they start out free of sin like man? So what they also disobeyed God?
    Jesus died for our sins, so we could be forgiven, so we could have a relationship with Him, and go to heaven. what about other people on other planets? If indeed all have sinned, what about their salvation? Jesus died here for our sin. Did He also die on another planet for the sin of others? How many times has Jesus been crucified anyway?

Makes me feel less important to God if there are multiply peoples on multiply other planets, all have sinned, and Jesus died on each of those planets for each of them. Whats so special anymore?
    But aren't we (man), special to God? Why else would He die for us? After all He didn't die for the animals.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

I have every confidence and faith there is not possibly peoples on other planets.

13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the arguments against the evolution of life from inorganic minerals is that it is statistically improbable, the odds are astronomically against the general evolution of life.

Before the "Big Bang Theory" became popular scientists commonly held to a steady state theory (the universe always was).

When evidence began implying that there was a definite begining, it was difficult to accept because time would be a limiting factor for evolution.

If time was unlimited the improbable has a infinite amount of time to happen...and could...
    ...but if time is limited it obviously is much less likely.

SO... what does this have to do with your question?

If someone makes the claim that life evolved somewhere else, it has had even less time to evolve than if it happened here.

From a scientific and evolutionary point of view the universe just isn't old enough for it to be able to happen!

Rob

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow, Deacon, that was heavy...

15. Mercury

Mercury New Member

I have no real opinion on the topic. Fun to speculate, but I don't think the silence of Scripture is an argument against the possibility, nor do I think that alien life is inevitable.

What happens when you add omnipresence to the mix? Can't God be fully present in more than one place at a time?

It would be cool. But if God is on Earth, and only on Earth, wouldn't that mean we'd all be away from God's presence? ;)

Perhaps for the same reason those chapters don't tell us about the creation of angels or bacteria or hell. The Bible also doesn't reveal the immensity of space and how stars can be as big or even bigger than our sun, or that the moon is only a reflective light source. I don't think the purpose of the Bible was to reveal everything God created. We can find some of those and other details from looking at God's creation itself. Some details will remain a mystery for us until eternity.

Why less? Assuming the perspective you're responding to, couldn't it have happened concurrently, or even before our solar system formed?

16. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

You're forgetting about the angels. They may be spirit like God and not confined to the physical universe like us, but the reasoning you have just given would extend to them as well, since they are still life forms created by God. Some sinned, and the rest did not. So when the Bible says "all have sinned", it is obviously talking about mankind only, and not the angels, and therefore neither any other life God may have created.
    This is kind of getting into the mindset of both the Israelites, as well as the Church that insisted we were at the center of the universe. God is big enough to have a countless number of creatures across the universe that can be important in His plans. It does not depend on us being the only ones. (In fact, we wouldn't be "special" at all if there was noone else out there to be "average"). Israel in Jesus' time was offended that God would open up to the rest of the world, as they thought it was all about them (and this was precisely one reason God stopped working exclusively through them).

17. drfuss

drfuss New Member

WOW. This discussion is "far out".

Seriously, I have a christian friend that believes the Garden of Eden was on another planet since there is no record of it after Adam and Eve. He thinks that when Adam and Eve were put out of the Garden, God put them on this planet.

Anyone think this could be?

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think not. Moses keeps making reference to "Where the Garden is" AS IF his readers knew of the places he mentioned.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gen 1-6 is not an exhuastive account of all life in the 1500 yeare before the flood.

Genesis 1-2:3 does not tell us about the creation of Angels or the four beasts around the throne in Rev4. God never claims that Rev 1-2 is an exhaustive account of everything He ever did.

20. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

someone mentioned God giving us planets to play with in the New Heaven, McGee said we'd have a whole Galaxy! I think I'll become his personality.