1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

All LS Discussions and Debates

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

saved from sin must be the desire...so faith is the commitment.

One is not saved only to take the benefits of salvation while rejecting all the God stands for.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe so. I believe even in spite of a Joel Osteen or a Benny Hinn God can (and does) use their false messages to bring people to Him. There are people who are saved each year in the RCC listening to a false message. My father was saved listening to Ernest Angely (popular health and wealth preacher 20 years ago)

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You sure danced around that question. In case you didn't know, we are saved by the former.

BTW, since when did information we receive become the hinge for salvation? :confused:

#283 webdog, Sep 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2008
  4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Lou was pointing out that John MacArthur et.al. believed that salvation was not only by faith, but also by faith and commitment. That is something that you infer is wrong doctrine or heresy. You don't have to use the word to make the inference. Yet your exact words were:
    Not only did Lou call these men heretics; you have as well.
    You are a hypocrite.
    You don't have to use the word; you only have to describe the position.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So your view is salvation is not by grace through faith, but grace through faith plus commitment? I'm not inferring it's wrong doctrine...the Bible does. Since you find it normal practice to use an ad hominem, I would point you to the source of your attack, and it's not me.

Is it the Gospel message to say we are saved by grace through faith and sacraments? Do you believe all catholics are saved? How is substituting sacraments with commitment changing the meaning? IT'S NOT!

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

As a former Catholic I believe that Catholic doctrine is heresy. I am not afraid to say so. That is not against the BB rules.
    However it is against the BB rules to call or infer that your own brothers in Christ are heretics. And that is what you are doing at this present time. That is why the long ago Cal/Arm forum was shut down. We had Calvinists calling Arminians heretics and vice versa.
    My beliefs in this matter don't matter. Piper and MacArthur both have successful ministries, more than likely far more successful than you will ever have. What good does it do for the cause of Christ to tear down men of God; to attack them as heretics where perhaps thousands of people, some of them unsaved are reading.
    As Paul said in a different context "Will they not think ye are mad"? and they will! Baptist tearing down Baptist, and for what reason?

What I suggested to Lou a long time back, I reiterate again:
    Is it not possible for you to discuss a doctrine, LS included without bringing other men of God into this discussion and attacking them.
    If you cannot do this then perhaps this thread needs to be closed.
    Attack the doctrine, not the person!

#286 DHK, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I worked myself out of works and realized that I still was lost and needed Christ to be saved.

BBob,

8. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Its funny I read this thread and this verse keeps coming to mind.

Funny how christians haven't changed much.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not going to continue this ping pong posting, but I will say that since nobody has a perfect theology or soteriology this side of Heaven, there are some false things being taught by everyone. That would be false teaching, not heresy. If you can't distinguish the two, that is on you.

I have never attacked a person, but only their doctrine. It is YOU that keeps insisting attaking the doctrine IS attacking the person.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The above is what you formerly said.
    It is in direct contradiction to what you just said in your above post:
    Perhaps you should think about making a retraction.
    Stating the names of Godly men, and accusing them of being "dependent of a false presuppositon of pre-faith regeneration," is an attack on a person, in fact it is an attack on two "persons."
    You could have said "the advocates of...", but instead you attacked people, instead of the doctrine or position.

11. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

DHK:

I humbly request that you provide evidence of webbdog's personal attacks. As much as I have disagreed with him on doctine, I have not felt personally attacked by him.

Secondly, you have made a personal attack on him in this reply of yours. You should retract that brother. No matter which way you slice it, when you say "You are a hypocrite. " you are making a personal attack on someone. Time to say sorry.

RB

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes I called him a hypocrite. Perhaps I should have worded better, for he was being hypocritical. He was doing the same thing that Lou was and yet denying it.

My question to you all is: Can't you discuss a doctrine without attacking these people who supposedly expound these doctrines? What is wrong with a discussion about LS doctrine without bringing in MacArthur and others?
    Once you bring in these men, and repeatedly so, does not that, in and of itself, become a personal attack?

I provided a quote where Webdog mentioned two names, one of which was MacArthur. Is that not enough?

I mentioned on another thread that I don't believe in Calvinism. If we started a debate on Calvinism, would you attack me or the doctrine that I post on the board? That is the question I am putting forth to you. Is it necessary to attack the person? Is it necessary to involve MacArthur at all in this discussion?

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What?!? If I quoted something you said regarding a subject...that is automatically construed as a personal attack?!?
    ...yet I called neither one a heretic, so no...it is not enough. We sit on the same side of the fence regarding calvinism. Since we both don't believe calvinism to be truth...what is it, false? Are you going to claim every calvinist is a heretic too?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Are you misrepresenting my words.
    I clearly said: Attack (or debate) the doctrine not the person. When you attack the person, it is a personal attack. Thus why the need for constant referral of MacArthur, et. al. in these discussions?
    Here is your quote from September 3, long before I ever posted in this thread:
    You can say approximately the same thing without reference to the ministries of these men, or to these men at all.
    Again: Debate the doctrine, not the person.

We are both on the same side of the fence regarding Calvinism.
    Would it then be necessary to draw into a debate on Calvinism, MacArthur, who is a Calvinist? Why or why not? Why is it necessary to drag current Godly men who have successful ministries and make them look like heretics to the dismay of many that are reading this thread. Are Baptists that bad that we have to tear one another down in front of thousands of readers?

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

DHK, it is clear you are clueless what true heresy is...so I'm out of this discussion with you. I have not attacked anyone, and just becaue you are a moderator, it doesn't give you the authority of defining what a personal attack is. As John of Japan says "sayonara".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.