1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

All of grace

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalms109:31, Mar 13, 2010.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

I read the Bible 4 times in different versions KJ, NKJ, NIV, and NASB and couldn't remember anything or understand any. I heard someone who was in this same position and they read a book from Spurgeon called "all of grace." Then I read it and really understand it comes from God.

John 14:
    25"All this I have spoken while still with you. 26But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

Luke 24:45
    Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.

2 Corinthians 3:14
    But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away.

One day I was reading the Gospel and cried uncontrollably and my eyes was opened for the first time. It wasn't me it was God.

If I know scripture it is because of Him, if I don't it is of my flesh.

Has the Lord your God opened your eyes and how was your experience?

#1 psalms109:31, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2010
  2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like what you said in the last paragraph, and I don't find it hard to agree with the principle. You said : If I know scripture it is because of Him, if I don't it is of my flesh.

I am pretty sure there are many on this board who have found there are times when the Bible just seems to be (1) a bunch of words; (2) a long blurred line of black, or (3) just sentences arranged in verses and paragraphs he reads but does not really comprehend.

I think these instances happen when we have been "in the flesh" so to speak. Tired after a whole day of work and tension, having gone prayerless for a number of reasons, or having allowed the flesh to take over situations where the Spirit should be in control.

And then many a time, hopefully more than the ones above, the Spirit pulls us back, and we're down on our knees again, worshipping, marvelling, dumbfounded and awestruck at the beauty, grace and mercy of this God who loved us before we loved Him, who knew us before we knew Him, who called us when we didn't call Him.

At these times Scripture leaps at us as if to hold us in an arm lock, words and phrases and letters appear to be in flames, and what didn't make sense at all to us then, makes perfect sense at these times, time passes by unnoticed, and the whole world may be in an upheaval yet no power is able to tear our eyes from this Holy Book.

And we kneel down in prayer and adoration, not asking for anything, not wanting anything, just wanting to bow down, cry Holy, and were it possible to wash our Savior's feet with our own tears.

Grace is what it is.
    Linda of the Gaithers has a song for that.
    "The God of the mountain is the God of the valley".

In the valleys, the gutters, or the mountain tops, His eyes are on His children, always.

3. psalms109:31

Our faith

Our faith comes from God through the words of Jesus the problem with men they depend on their fleshy understand and just cannot trust in the Lord.

Christ has opened our eyes when we have turned to Him, but our fleshly understanding gets us away from the truth.

Everyone believes we our depraved and can't believe their understanding comes from a depraved flesh. God has warned us from the beginning that not to lean on our own understanding, but trust in the name of the Lord.

#3 psalms109:31, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2010
  4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, I believe the secret to understanding the scriptures is to believe them.

1 Thess 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

The scriptures only effectually work in those that believe them. If you do not first believe God's word, it will make no sense to you. But if you believe the scriptures the Holy Spirit will open up your understanding to understand them.

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
    7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

This passage shows that if any man lacks wisdom, we may freely ask God and he will give it to us liberally and hold nothing back with one condition, we must ask in faith. We must believe God's promise before he will fulfill it. If we doubt God we cannot expect to receive anything from him.

So, first believe it, then God will give you understanding.

5. psalms109:31

Doubt

Mark 11:23
    "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him.

John 20:27
    Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe." 28Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"

29Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

1 Corinthians 13
    Love
    1If I speak in the tongues[Or languages] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[Some early manuscripts body that I may boast ] but have not love, I gain nothing.

#5 psalms109:31, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010