1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 'All Scripture'

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Martin Marprelate, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I rather think that comes under the heading of 1 Timothy 3:16. 'God-breathed' certainly brings out this truth.
    I rather think that Proverbs 30:5-6; 1 Timothy 3:16; Hebrews 1:1-2 and Revelation 22:18 militate against the idea that the Scriptures are somehow incomplete and that God may need to add to them.

2. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is true. The question really is are they to be looked at as authoritative or do they somehow have authority. I would say that the historical record of Christianity from the beginning until the 16th century say they are authoritative. Real humans actually made the decisions, only men can wield actual authority.

3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you have zero authority. You in and of yourself cannot tell anyone to do anything. It is only by declaring "Thus saith the Word of God," do you have any influence on anybody.

4. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are correct, I have no religious authority - but Bishops certainly do.

5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have Scripture to prove that?

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I
    abuse children and cover up crimes... at will.

7. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have your reprobates as well, men who are Pastors, leaders in your churches who also sin terribly in the area of sexual crimes and immorality.

8. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You tell me. Mr. John Smyth used his authority (unilaterally I might add) to change orthodox Christian doctrine for the doctrine your Christian sect now believes. Just how was he able do that?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don’t say, however there isn’t a systematic coverup like you have. There is also something called a background checks that most use regarding pastoral candidates that we use as a part of the process.

10. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There was systematic coverups, but no longer. In todays world the authorities are called and people are removed from ministries. The Bishops, especially here in America, are on board with these actions. We have a good discernment process now which has been ongoing for some time, and yes, we also do background checks. These type of sinfulness is an evil in the Church and must be stamped out, and if Pope Francis covered up for Cardinal McCarrick the Pope should resign.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m sorry but I remain skeptical for I have seen this before. The outraged laity must step up to the plate and exact meaningful changes... can you inform me how this is happening (in real-time). And let me say here that I’m not advocating distruction of the institution but real CHANGE & Transformation.

#51 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh but you do have Authority as the body of Christ... as the laity you can band together, deny them the money they need, shut down bad churches if need be. If it was done across the country that message would get back to Hippy Frank and his cronies back at the Vatican.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is the Lord Jesus Christ who has authority. He and no one else. "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me" (Matthew 28:18). Church leaders have authority only insofar as they follow His commands as laid down in His word. Of all others the Lord Jesus declares, "They are blind guides; leave them alone." Those Pastors who sin are to be rebuked publicly (1 Timothy 5:20).

Oh wow! That was my 5,000th post! Whoopee-doo!

#53 Martin Marprelate, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He had the authority of the word of God which rather clearly indicates that baptism is for professing Christians only (Acts 8:12 etc.). But Baptists do not follow John Smyth; they follow Christ and His word.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think he had the authoritative word of God that he followed. He took that and became "the authority" that came up with the Baptist doctrine that all Baptists now look to. It's the same thing that the Mormons do, the Jehovah's Witnesses do, the Lutherans do, that every Christian faith tradition in effect does. Christians with different doctrines, besides the very basic ones that most Christian sects share.

16. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Which He then proceeded to give to others. Surely you are aware of where that is reflected in the Holy Writ?

17. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you want a good laugh have a fresh regenerated Calvinst read and explain revelations to us.

Since they got their superior Gnostic super powers after hearing the gospel, should be a piece of cake.

18. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen lets not add fake rules like "Scripture is the final and only authority."

19. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Smyth is not 'the authority' for anything. I doubt anyone here has ever read a book by him; I certainly haven't.

Believers' baptism was instituted by John the Baptist (Matthew 3:6), confirmed by the Lord Jesus (John 4:1-2) and followed by His disciples (Acts 2:41 etc.). The earliest Christians knew nothing of baptizing infants (c.f. Didache and Justin Martyr). Believers' Baptism was practised by many Christians long before John Smyth or the Reformation in the teeth of the most wicked persecution by the Church of Rome.

20. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So you are saying that the definition of being a Baptist is an adult who is baptized?

#60 Adonia, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018