1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

All that Christ commanded?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A STUDY IN MATTHEW

THE COMMANDS OF CHRIST

Always do right, even with the little things.

(Matt. 3:15)

Study the Word of God, live by it.

(Matt. 4:4)

Do not take actions that depend on God’s action to have a good result, do not put God to the test.

(Matt. 4:7)

Worship God and serve Him only.

(Matt. 4:10)

Repent and do God’s will.

(Matt. 4:17)

Be a fisher of men, follow Christ’s example.

(Matt. 4:19)

Be humble and do God’s will.

(Matt. 5:3)

Be sorry for your sins and ask for forgiveness.

(Matt. 5:4)

Control your emotions, do what is right.

(Matt. 5:5)

Focus your desires on doing God’s will.

(Matt. 5:6)

Be merciful.

(Matt. 5:7)

Guard your heart, keep it pure.

(Matt. 5:8)

Avoid needless disputes, help others to work together.

(Matt. 5:9)

Do what is right, even if you are persecuted.

(Matt. 5:10)

Proclaim Christ, and rejoice and be glad when you are insulted, persecuted or falsely accused of all sorts of evil.

(Matt. 5:12)

Preserve and enrich what is good, boldly demonstrate God’s influence on your life.

(Matt. 5:13-16)

Do not accept the idea that you are saved from God’s wrath, if you are unwilling to stop your sinful ways.

(Matt. 5:20)

You must do more than avoid the acts of sin; you must have a kind and pure heart that does not focus on evil, anger or hatred.

(Matt. 5:21-22)

Do not harbor ill will toward those you should love, if you expect to draw near to God.

(Matt. 5:23-24)

Settle matters quickly with your adversary.

(Matt. 5:25)

Do not commit adultery by looking at a person lustfully.

(Matt. 5:27)

If the desires of the flesh cause you to sin destroy them - it is better to crucify the desires of the flesh than for you to go to Gehenna.

(Matt. 5:29-30)

Do not divorce your spouse, except for marital unfaithfulness, and do not marry a divorced person, unless the divorced person was the faithful spouse.

(Matt. 5:31-32)

Speak truthfully and simply; let your yes mean yes and your no mean no. Do not embellish your statements with oaths or swearing to or by God or anything else.

(Matt. 5:33-37)

Do not try and get even with evil people, accept their assaults and do good to them.

(Matt. 5:38-42)

Love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you, be perfect, gracious and compassionate as the Lord is perfect, gracious and compassionate.

(Matt. 5:43-48)

Be careful to have pure motives; do not do acts of righteousness, such as giving to the needy, before men, but rather in secret so that you will not be guilty of seeking the honor of men.

(Matt. 6:1-4)

Pray in private, rather than before men.

(Matt. 6:5-6)

When you pray, do not babble or use lots of words.

(Matt. 6:7-8)

Pray like this: Pray to the Father

and recognize His authority.

Ask for an understanding of His will,

and the willingness to follow.

Ask only for what you need,

and the wisdom to avoid needless desires.

Forgive anyone you think has sinned against you,

and ask for forgiveness for your sins.

Ask for guidance to overcome temptation, and

for insight to keep falsehoods and lies far from you.

(Matt. 6:9-15)

Do not publicly proclaim you are fasting, but fast in a way that will be obvious only to your Father in heaven.

(Matt. 6:16-18)

Store up treasures in heaven, for where your treasure is, your heart will be also.

(Matt. 6:19-21)

Do not worry about your life, your food, your clothes or what might happen tomorrow. Instead seek the will of God and the willingness to follow and do what is right.

(Matt. 6:25-34)

Judge others as you would judge yourself, remember to judge yourself first, and be careful not to apply the commands of God to the unsaved.

(Matt. 7:1-6)

Be persistent in prayer, in seeking the good gifts of God.

(Matt. 7:7-11)

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

(Matt. 7:12)

Judge those who claim to speak the word of God by what they produce; false prophets will produce bad results.

(Matt. 7:15-20)

Study Christ’s words and put them into practice – for no one who knows Christ practices evil.

(Matt. 7:21-27)

Trust Jesus and do not entertain evil thoughts in your heart.

(Matt. 9:1-5)

Go and learn what this means:
    “I desire mercy, not sacrifice, for I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

(Matt. 9:13)

Have compassion on the unsaved; they are like sheep without a shepherd, pray for more workers to increase the number being saved.

(Matt. 9:36-38)

When you go and preach “the kingdom of heaven is near” be careful not to act foolishly and be innocent of evil.

(Matt. 10:16-17)

#1 Van, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Commands of Christ - continued

The words you say reflect how godly you are - be careful to say good words.

(Matt. 12:33-37)

What you say reveals your heart; guard your heart from evil thoughts like hatred, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony and slander.

(Matt. 15:20)

Be on your guard against false teaching.

(Matt. 16:5-12)

If you want to follow Christ, you must deny yourself, even to the point of dying for Christ.

(Matt. 16:24)

Teach little children and all new believers to be holy and perfect; do not cause them to sin.

(Matt. 18:5-6)

Do not transport, convey or present the things that cause people to sin.

(Matt. 18:7)

Do not look down on new believers, especially little children, God is not willing that any should be lost.

(Matt. 18:10-14)

If a fellow believer sins against you, privately show him his fault; if he does not listen, take one or two witnesses and present it again; if he refuses to listen, present it to the church, and if he refuses to listen to the church, treat him as an unsaved person.

(Matt. 18:15-17)

If you pray in small groups, ensure that all agree that each request is in the will of God.

(Matt. 18:19)

Forgive those who sin against you, no matter how many times it happens.

(Matt. 18:21-22)

You cannot get to heaven by doing things; you must be perfect and give up everything, trusting only in Christ.

(Matt. 19:16-24)

Submit to the will of God; do not judge it unfair.

(Matt. 20:1-6)

Do not worry about who will receive the greatest rewards in heaven; just be a faithful and humble servant of Christ.

(Matt. 20:20-28)

Keep your focus on God in prayer, not on comfort or commerce.

(Matt. 21:12-13)

Pray in accordance with the will of God and you will receive it.

(Matt. 21:18-22)

Give to the government all that is due, and give to God all that is due.

(Matt. 22:15-22)

Love God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.

(Matt. 22:37)

Love your neighbor as yourself.

(Matt. 22:39)

Do not follow the examples of church leaders when the examples do not match the requirements of God.

(Matt. 23:1-4)

Do not do righteous things seeking the honor of men, nor accept exalted titles – be a servant.

(Matt. 23:5-7)

Do not neglect the important matters: justice, mercy and faithfulness.

(Matt. 23:23)

Do not be a hypocrite; do not pretend to be righteous when you are full of wickedness.

(Matt. 23:27)

Act each day as if the Lord will return, let him find you a faithful and wise servant.

(Matt. 24:36-51)

Be thoughtful; do not overlook any actions necessary to proclaim Christ Jesus each day of your life.

(Matt. 25:1-13)

Do not be a lazy servant and fail to increase Christ’s flock.

(Matt. 25:14-30)

Be generous, kind and thoughtful; take care of your brothers and sisters in Christ.

(Matt. 25:31-46)

Make disciples of all nations, baptizing them with the authority of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything Christ commanded.

(Matt. 28:19:20)

#2 Van, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  3. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    are you doing these?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Southern Fried Baptist

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody's even close to doing all those. But it is what we should aspire to.

5. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody can strive or aspire to follow Christ, unless they have been taught "all that Christ commanded." Does anyone have additional commands of Christ to add to the list?

7. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are in opposition to these?

8. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the First priority. To be 'poor in spirit.' The child of God must DIE to their flesh and The Spirit of God Accomplishes these things, or they will not be done.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without study of God's word, a person might not understand the actual meaning of being "poor in spirit."

The actual idea is to be reliant on God, rather than ourselves or our earthly treasure. Just saying...

Study the Word of God, live by it.
    (Matt. 4:4)

Nobody can strive or aspire to follow Christ, unless they have been taught "all that Christ commanded." Does anyone have additional commands of Christ to add to the list?

10. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    The soul that is dead in trespasses and sins will Trust Jesus Christ as their Savior.

With The New Nature, they are then Enabled to 'die' to the Old nature of the Flesh.

11. unprofitable

unprofitable Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deu. 7:9 says, "Knowing therefore that the Lord, He is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with THEM (collective as a body/people/nation) that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations.

Christ said in Jn 14:15, "If ye love me keep my commandments."

Jn 15:10 says, "If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love, even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love."

Jn 15:14 says, "Ye are my friends if ye do whatsoever I command you.

We must ask, "Why would Christ give his disciples a command if he doesn't expect them to keep them?" Even being enabled by the New Birth doesn't mean that, as individuals, we may fall short of the mark at times but we are promised that he will never leave nor forsake his body of people and the forgiveness that is in the new covenant.

However there are commandments/covenant that only a body of Christ can keep. It is not possible for the individual to keep because an individual cannot be a body of Christ.

One is baptism. There is no scriptural example of and individual baptizing himself. It is an ordinance that can only be accomplished by a body of Christ and is of uttermost importance. That authority was given to the body of Christ during the time of Christ and is exampled by complete submersion. Sprinkling is not an example of keeping the commandments/covenant of Christ. We know his people are made alive/enabled to keep covenant with Him and are expected to observe the commandments in the proper manner. The Baptist people, out from among the dead ones, are the only people that I know have kept the ordinance, in its PROPER manner from the time of Christ.

The other is the Lord's supper. Christ instituted this ordinance/commandment with his disciples, the beginnings of the long awaited kingdom of God as a church people. No authority is given to the individual to observe it. It belongs to the body of Christ and its meaning was foreseen by the remnant/body of Christ from the time of Adam.

The faithful observance of these ordinances, in their PROPER manner, by the body of Christ is part of the commandment given in Jn 13:34," A new commandment I give you, that ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another."

Their being kept in their PROPER manner is part of the brethren loving Christ and one another (I JN 3:14) and that they be passed down to their children and their children's children to a thousand generations.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 15:10
    “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

Does this verse say we must keep every commandment of Christ, or are there key commandments necessary for God to credit our faith as righteousness?

John 15:14
    “You are My friends if you do what I command you.

What command seems to be required in order for Christ to consider us as His "friend." Someone who has a relationship with Him. Someone born anew, someone given to Christ, someone made alive together with Christ.

1John 3:23
    This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.

So it seems we must accept all the things recognized about Jesus, and not just select a few, for "the name" encompasses all His attributes, such as Son of God, Savior, Lamb of God, Mediator, and so forth. And if we are concerned only with ourselves and our immediate family, we fail the command to "love one another."

#12 Van, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  13. unprofitable

unprofitable Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ said in Jn 15:15"Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant KNOWETH NOT what his Lord doeth: but I have called you friends. This indicates a special position, knowledge and intimacy necessary to keep covenant.

...for ALL THINGS I have heard of my Father I have known unto you.

Eph 3:10 says,"....that it might BE KNOWN by THE CHURCH the manifold wisdom of God."
    These are the friends in Jn 15:15

Which commandments or parts of the new covenant can the church and its members leave off, seeing it is only a body of Christ and its members that can keep them?

#13 unprofitable, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since we are to learn all of Christ's commands, we should not "leave off" any of them.

15. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few weeks ago I started making a list of new testament commands. After a while, I decided to search the web. This is the most comprehensive list I found.

1,050 New Testament Commands | Christian Assemblies International

Do not know what version is quoted. Just know it is not the KJV.

Due to Covid, I have not followed through find the version or format to my liking.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many of the "New Testament" commands were redundant. And if we restrict those to those provided in the Gospels, it is hard to find a new one. For example, Mark 12:38 is cited as commanding us to be beware of the scribes who treasure the honor of men.
    However that seems redundant to Matthew 23:5-7, Do not do righteous things seeking the honor of men, nor accept exalted titles – be a servant. Or Matthew 23:1-4, Do not follow the examples of church leaders when the examples do not match the requirements of God.