1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

All Things Bacon

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by kathleenmariekg, Dec 2, 2020.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several years ago Burger King had the Bacon Sundae.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've made a couple different versions of baconnaise. Good stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Macdonalds missed the boat, could have had the Mcrib cut up into small pieces and put on sundaes!

• Like Like x 2
  4. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That children's song is in my mind:

Bacon to your web footed friends,
    For that duck may be somebody's mother
    She lives in a hole in a swamp
    Where the weather is always damp
    You may think that this is the end:
    Well it is,

• Like Like x 1
  5. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depending on the flavor of ice cream!

I like pretzels in my ice cream.

I knew a man that put smoked herring on Haagen Dazs vanilla ice cream, and I saw him eat it.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I knew a man who put Ketchup on his corn on the cob and ice cream!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I eat green beans dipped in ketchup, instead of french fries.

I have eaten brocolli dipped in honey mustard sauce or shrimp cocktail sauce.

I will put almost anything on cauliflower that I would put on a white starchy food like rice or potatoes or pizza dough.

I put salsa and cheese and a poached egg on a pile of steamed spinach.

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I had like a 1/4 of bacon grease in the pan, when young, and I made the mistake of throwing my scrambled eggs in it. Ugh, still makes me gag and cringe just to think of it...

I do a lot of my cooking on my beloved 13" square iron skillet with low sides, I use a touch of olive oil to keep things from sticking and to season it. I would figure any added taste from the bacon grease wouldn't be worth the havoc that fat does to the body, especially if you eat eggs a few times a week.

9. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scrambled eggs in a large amount of any fat sounds horrible! I don't scramble mine: I fry them whole.

I have no idea if doctors know what they are talking about, but my cholesterol isn't super low, but they say the ratio is so good that they hardly ever see that. They ask me how it is possible. All I know is that it only got that way after I reduced my vegetable fat intake and increased my animal fat intake.

Fat is cheaper than protein, but more expensive than carbs. Too many carbs gives me brittle sugar levels that are up and down all over the place and leave me to weak to do what needs to be done. On a high carb diet I feel weaker than not eating at all. So I eat fat, but the mostly animals fats and whole vegetable fats, not solvent extracted vegetable oils: natural peanut butter, avocados, olives; and dairy, eggs, bacon, high-fat fish, high-fat hamburger.

There is now caution about solid vegetable fats, but I think some mass produced liquid oils might be bad, too. I just don't eat them much.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im sick to my stomach having read that. :Sick

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Laugh:Laugh

12. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have pretty much eliminated all oils but olive oil, which I by in 1/2 gallon jugs. I think vegetable oils and Crisco are horrible. I call olive oil, God's oil, and use it for everything. As per animal fat I eat a lot of chicken breast, salmon 1-2 times a week, beef 1-2 times a week - usually fairly lean tenderloin because I am spoiled or lean hamburger and very little pork, eggs 2-3 times a week.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More than I should, but I usually get uncured or low-sodium bacon to make it a tiny bit healthier.

Sometimes I save a small amount of it to use as flavoring fat for an upcoming entree. I don't use much of it.

I prefer olive oil for most things, and use canola oil when I need to fry something (about twice a month).

I have used it for seasoning cast iron, including a huge smoker I have in my backyard. Every spring I'll cook a pound of bacon and save the grease so I can brush down all the cooking surfaces before I start using it regularly.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Olive oil has been on my shopping list for a long time. I need to find it on a good sale at the same time I can carry the weight.

I have put on weight this year and I am the heaviest I have been in a very long time. I think I might be just over 100 pounds and I am never over 100 pounds. I can only carry so much at a time without toppling over, and food is heavy.

The olive oil purchase always seems to be a lower priority to getting something else lugged home first.

15. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It sounds like you seriously need a wagon. If you would like some help getting one I'd be glad to give a hand and am personal friends with Santa. I hear he often delivers all over through Amazon these days.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @kathleenmariekg !!!??

Aww, come on!

Check this out, this would be so cool!

https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Sports-C...=1&keywords=wagon&qid=1607637607&sr=8-46&th=1

You know, it’s better to give than receive right? It would help make this season a joy for me and you’d be doing me a favor to accept this gift in the spirit of Christmas! I understand you might not be comfortable with giving out personal information on the net but if that worries you perhaps you can set up a P.O. Box at the post office or could arrange for the Post Office to accept the package? Use an alias name? Maybe have it shipped to a secure friend or you are friends with a business owner or organization nearby that it can be delivered to? Don't deny me my Christmas joy, just say, okay, and I’ll P.M. you and we’ll figure it out. Trust you are here right now for a reason...

Matter of fact, I think it would fun if we were to figure this out and get a receiving address set up because I suspect some other BB regular members might also enjoy playing Christmas Angel this year, instead of just me having all the fun. Come on, it’s the joy of Christmas let us have some fun, what do you say? Please? No excuses, I need a place to send it! :)

17. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will PM you. Thanks you! I was going to say no, but that looks perfect. I have something heavy I need to buy in bulk at a lower price, and I haven't because I can't get it home. I know God is in charge and I know he will make sure you are blessed and that I have a chance to pay it forward to someone else at a critical moment. I bailed someone out once in his moment, and the only reason he was able to take it from me was my "pay it forward" story. I will tell this story when I pay it forward. You don't just bless me, but you bless the person who will be able to take from me, with this story. S/he will know its as much from you as it is from me. Thank you!

And if I don't stay here long, and the wagon is still in useable condition, I promise I will rehome it responsibly. God will bless you for this. I know he will. Thank you!

18. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're very welcome! Thank you.

It's on its way! Delivery December 16th. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    God showed me yesterday that I need to both give and receive more right now that I ever have, and that I need to trust him about that. Someone asked me for money yesterday, and first I said no. Then God made me instantly remember the blessings he had recently heaped on me, and that I did have something to spare as a result of that. I ran after her and gave her what I thought that I was supposed to. Things have changed. I am in a new place. There is a pandemic that disrupted the previous supply lines that were in place here. And I am in a new place with my faith and my walk. Things have changed and I have to adapt, in both directions.

These are crazy time, and God is constantly using the bad for good. In the future, there will be a lot of writing produced about this time, fiction and non-fiction.

20. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @kathleenmariekg
    I just got a call and your package should be at the door.