1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Allergies!

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Gina B, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

For some odd reason, the tree pollen levels skyrocket out here when it rains, and it's been raining a lot. I had slight allergies in one state after having my first kid, but out here? This is miserable. I'm used to rain being GOOD for allergies, but the opposite is true here.

The only thing I know of that works is Benadryl and I can't take any other OTC meds. Problem with that is Benadryl lays me out flat, I will sleep for hours on end and that can't happen.

Any ideas on how to keep allergies down with something natural that won't knock me out? It feels like a severe cold if I take nothing and it's miserable. I woke up this morning with my eyes tearing like crazy and puffing up, totally stuff and wheezing, and had to take Benadryl but then barely could stay awake for services and got a long work week coming up.

I really need to find something quick that will help keep this down without OTC meds.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel for you. Itchy, swollen eyes are the worst.
    Add a runny nose and wheezing lungs and you're miserable

If you can't or won't use Over-The-Counter medications you'll find natural anti-histamines are weak and generally ineffective.
    You didn't say why you couldn't use an OTV drug.

Honey, Echinacea, Omega 3 fatty oils (fish oil) are said to be natural antihistamines and they may work for some people but I've never found any relief in them.
    A waste of money for treating allergies IMO.

Benedryl is the standard OTC but as you note it is highly sedating and you wake up with a hangover in the morning.

The non-sedating OTC medications Claritin and Zyrtec have never worked well for me.

My current favorite OTC is once-daily Allegra which I use in conjunction with antihistamine eye-drops.

Another alternative is to keep the filters clean and run your AC - stay indoors.

Rob

#2 Deacon, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2012
  3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The reason for not wanting to take OTC meds are because I'm on daily meds and I already wake up an hour earlier than needed to take them right, but I did screw up a few weeks ago and scared the tar out of me by forgetting I took the one so I took it again and didn't realize it until 30 minutes later when the world started going haywire and then I realized what I'd done. That's a very scary thing to have happen. (it would be nice if my doctor grasped how very seriously bad my memory can be instead of blowing it off to stress, he just doesn't get it and how many close calls I've had in different ways because of it)

Being indoors is still hard on bad days. If the pollen is bad, I will still wake up a mess even if the house has been shut all night. Maybe it's the air conditioning bringing it in? I don't know.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Memory problems - I've been there!

I was on antibiotics a while back and ended up finishing 2 days early --- I guess I took a few more than I needed each day lol

You might try a hepa filter to clean the air in your house.

Rob

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Strangely, my allergies have been worse here in California in the high desert than they ever were in Florida.

6. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I never had allergies until my first tour here in '91.

I take Zyrtec and use Flonase, and I'm not too bad. I also use Ocean nasal irrigation, and Visine A. Keeps it down to where it's not so miserable.