1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alphabet School

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by butterbloom, Jan 27, 2002.

1. butterbloom

butterbloom New Member

Johnny goes to the Alpha School of Higher Learning.

On his first day there the teacher taught him and the others the alphabet.
    Johnny enjoyed learning and after a week was quite good at reciting it.

The following week, eager to learn more, Johnny scampered out of bed
    that Monday, wondering what new and exciting things the teacher would
    have for him that day.

He scurried out of the house, caught the bus with the other children and
    headed for school. He had heard about school since he could remember
    and now that he was old enough to go, he just wanted to consume all it
    had to offer.

Jumping out of the bus, Johnny ran straight for his classroom. He threw
    open the door and skipped to his seat. He waited with anticipation as the
    others came in one by one and took their seats. The teacher was busily
    reading over some material on her desk and looked up and greeted Johnny.
    Johnny, with a big smile on his face, cheerfully replied, "Good Morning, Miss Roberts!"

The bell rang and Mrs. Roberts got up and greeted the whole class. She took
    roll to make sure each child was accounted for. She knew she was responsible
    for each little smiling face. She delighted in being a teacher, which she knew she
    had wanted to be since sixth grade when she had a wonderful teacher who
    made a great impression on her.

After calling the roll, Mrs. Roberts walked over to the blackboard and wrote:
    The Alphabet - AaBbCcDdEdFfGgHhIiJjKkLlMmNnOoPpQqRrSsTtUuVvWwXxYyZz
    Then she said, "Today class, we are going to learn the alphabet!"

Johnny, looked at the other children with bewilderment. He then whispered to a little
    boy to his right, "We just learned this last week!" The other little boy replied, "I know
    but some of the other kids weren't here last week." Johnny said, "Oh". He then
    looked back at the teacher and started trying to listen to her. Soon Johnny found
    himself looking through his math book that lay on his desk. The teacher, seeing that
    Johnny and some of the others were looking a bit bored began to speak more loudly.

The children, noticing the difference in her voice, perked back up, for fear of getting in
    trouble or maybe some because they were trying to be polite. Johnny, suffered through
    the day, hearing the same lessons he had heard last week. The whole week, it turns out
    would be another week of learning the alphabet. Johnny, was so distraught.

He told his mother about it and she quickly said, "Johnny, you know you are a quick learner
    and there are some who don't learn quite as fast as you. You need to be patient and kind
    so that the others can learn the alphabet too." Johnny respectfully said, "Yes, Ma'am."

So Johnny obediently went back to school, knowing that he would hear the same lessons
    about the alphabet that he knew so well by now. And so it was, week after week, Miss Roberts
    taught the alphabet, the first lesson that everyone must know to proceed with the others things
    they need to learn. Mrs. Roberts wanted to be sure that everyone knew the alphabet and
    as new chidren moved into the neighborhoods and joined her class, she had to be sure
    they knew it too.

Johnny was so bored, he just hated getting up in the morning to go to school. He didn't even
    want to go to bed at night for he knew what the morning would bring. The other children who
    were in his class, were obediently going, day after day. Johnny knew there was more to learn
    and he just wasn't going to be satisfied until he did!

One day, he met a little girl at the park and she asked him where he went to school. He mumbled,
    " I go to the Alphabet School". She questioned, "You do?". Then she quickly remarked, "I've
    heard about that school, they teach the alphabet." "Yeah, that's ALL they teach", Johnny quipped.
    The little girl excitedly told him, "You should come to my school. We have a class for those learning
    the alphabet, but those of us who know it, get to learn about all kinds of other things!"
    "Really?", Johnny inquired, "I'd like to go to your school!" Johnny's mother heard Johnny and
    called to him, "Johnny, you come along now, it's time to go home."

When they got into the car
    to head for home, Johnny's mother scolded him and said, "Johnny, our family has always gone
    to the Alphabet School. Miss Roberts is a good teacher and your father and I really like her. You
    can always learn other things at home with your text books and I will help you. Now, don't let
    me hear anymore about not learning anything at school. If you wanted to learn, you would find a
    way. We have to support that school. It's part of our community and Miss Roberts counts on us
    supporting her too."

Johnny slumped down in the seat, turned and stared out the car window, "Yes, Ma'am."

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: butterbloom ]

2. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    butterbloom, it was a cute story but I missed the point. Or do you have a sequel to it? Please enlighten me (I must have one of these senior moments). ;)

3. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I'm confused to- I'm trying to see some parallel to the story? Or a point maybe?

UNP
    Adam

4. FaithRemains

FaithRemains New Member

butterbloom- great story!

I get the point of it. It seems absurd to keep sending jonny back to that school where he is not learning anything new, but most of us are willing to accept it in our churches.

5. butterbloom

butterbloom New Member

How astute Joshua! Thanks. I was wondering what the problem was that there was no correlation being made.

6. Barnabas H.

Faith:
    Baptist
    A parallel, huh? Now Adam, why didn't you and I thought about that one!? We were looking at the alphabet soup, I mean school, and all along the writer was meaning church.... ;) Boy, how could I miss it?! [​IMG]

7. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Hrm...I guess it is because I have never been in a church were they teach the same thing over and over again. How horrible.

UNP
    Adam

8. butterbloom

butterbloom New Member

Sorry if I offended you by my last remark.

9. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I'm not offended, sorry, I should have made that clearer. I was saying it is horrible if a church teaches the same thing over and over [​IMG]

UNP
    Adam

10. Barnabas H.

Faith:
    Baptist
    We understand it butterbloom, only trying to pull your leg (proverbially). [​IMG]

11. butterbloom

butterbloom New Member

It seems to me (JMHO) that every Sunday the message is Salvation. I know that S.School is for teaching more than salvation but I want to hear a good ol' steppin on my toes sermon in the pulpit.

12. butterbloom

butterbloom New Member

Okay Barnabas, I'm a little flustered! Can you tell? LOL

13. Kathy

Kathy New Member

We had a GREAT SERMON today!!! Our Pastor used the story of when Jacob fled from Laban and Rachel stole the little gods that belonged to her father and hid them in deceit when he came looking for them. Preacher expounded on how we all have little gods we keep hidden from the world, our church, our spouses, our families...it was quite uncomfortable actually, but much needed.
    I pray no one accepts the church that only teaches one thing over and over. We need to stop being babies drinking milk and eat the meat of the Bible!

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Appreciate the cute story and obvious parallel to the inane methods used if many of our churches today.

In my preaching, I always try to remember that there are kids in grade school in the audience. Interjecting some humor or cute story will help keep their attention.

And some new believers that are really slow learners. And some that have been saved 20 years longer than I have and I'm not sharing anything new.

Preaching/teaching the WHOLE counsel of God to the WHOLE congregation is a gift few pastors and churches have.

I grew up in a church that housed a seminary of 200 men (all college grads), 12 faculty with earned doctorates, many professional doctors, lawyers, businessmen, and then a blend of 2000 others. Our Pastor preached on a HIGH INTELLECTUAL PLAIN. It pushed me to learn literature and language to understand him. It pushed others right out the door.

I try to put the groceries on the middle shelf where EVERYBODY can get them without undue effort.

15. butterbloom

butterbloom New Member

Dr. Bob,

Why do you think it is that so many ( at least the ones I've encountered ) lack this understanding?

Do you think that too many choose and are not chosen? Or is it that they just don't get it?

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all have our "blind" spots, where we don't see what is obvious to everyone else.

Think as long as you have pastors who have weak character or poor training, they will tey to keep "dumbing down" the church (so they can be the BIG SHOT).

Newly saved people easilly fall prey to such pastors who become a little "god" to them, telling them right and wrong. And feeding the people a steady diet of John 3:16 will keep them spiritual babies, dependent on the pastor.

If you have guessed it, I blame most of the problems on the PASTOR, not the church. Babies act like, well, babies. But co-dependent pastors should know better. :mad:

17. butterbloom

butterbloom New Member

Dr. Bob,

Yes, I think that the Pastor has to be effective in the pulpit at reaching the whole congregation.

How do you tell a pastor he isn't?

18. David Cooke Jr

David Cooke Jr New Member

Butterbloom, what a GREAT parable. Where did you get it?
    When I was growing up I hated church b/c I never got anything out of it. Not to discount salvation, but when you've been baptized at age 8, and then for the next 10 years all you hear is salvation sermons, you start to feel like the preacher is selling fire insurance. I know I didn't enjoy church again until I attended FBC Macon where Chuck Poole was preaching (I believe he's now w/Northminster BC in Jackson, MS). He actually preached about what it means to follow Jesus once you are saved!
    Preachers, take note: salvation is vitally important, but every sermon is not a sales pitch. If you preach to the &gt;90% of your congregation who are saved about how to better live a life in Christ, those who are not saved will want to live like them and will seek salvation as well. Those who accepted Christ years ago will come to church and pay attention because they are getting the spiritual food and guidance they need, and will live more fruitful Christ-like lives because of it.
    I do not in anyway discount the importance of salvation, but if there is one mistake Baptists have made, its their exclusion of spiritual formation once a person is saved.

19. Barnabas H.

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post David! This may connects to another topic (which has been discussed in length on this board earlier), easy believeism. There are Bible schools which are churning out young men, who later become pastors, with one message in their repertoire - and that is the message of salvation. They simplify everything down to one line, and as you so eloguently stated the congregation is not being fed.

These preachers addressing only visitors but not their flock. There was a question here on this board: what can be done about this and how you tell a pastor that he is not feeding the flock? Well, you just have to be brave, Spirit filled, and wanting to build up the Brother in the fashion of Aquila & Priscilla (as with Apollos - Acts 18:24-26) and not like Sanballat and Tobiah (as with Nehemiah - Nehemiah 2:19). [​IMG]

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: Barnabas ]

20. butterbloom

butterbloom New Member

David,

I made it up in order to express a point.

I am feeling like Johnny. Johnny's mother would probably be my husband or others in the church.

Miss Roberts is my pastor.

The little girl would be my best friend who delights in her church.

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: butterbloom ]