1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Altar Calls

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by menageriekeeper, Nov 28, 2011.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Oh, and it gets even better than that. If no sinners "come forth", they will then turn to the christians and asked them if they are living right with God, and if not, the altar is a good place to get back on the right track. They'll do anything to keep from having an "empty" altar call.

I will never do one as long as I am in my right mind. Salvation is between the Lord and a sinner. None of us need to get in there and try to hammer things out. God can do this just fine.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a church where the visiting pastor wanted one to show true love for God by putting in the collections plate largest bill in your wallet, and he of course had none in his!

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

That is why I stated it 'seems'... but ok.. my question is what baptist church or churches do you know have 'actual' altars?

OH wait - are you are referencing those that have like a solid, squared (boxed in on all sides) table that sometimes has designs on them and scripture saying "Do this in Remembrance of me"... it symbolic (when they have the Lords supper) as the altar and thus the ordinances are placed upon it to be delivered to the saints who will receive it. Though to be honest I'm only heard a few call it an altar (and even then only during the Lords supper where the elements were awaiting distribution) though I don't really know what it is called. However I'm not sure where it started but it has been apart of church history for a long time, Catholic and non. So my answer is - not really sure.. good question.. now I have to look it up :)

#83 Allan, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Yeah, now you have my meaning. I don't even know where to look so I appreciate your effort on my behalf.

I do believe that we have changed the meaning of the word "altar" as well as the use of the actual physical item over the last 2000 years. I think of "altar" as a place of prayer and/or confession, but not a place of sacrifice.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

As I said in my post, if it's part of the message, fine with me. If it is just something that is always done at the end of the message, with no previous groundwork laid in the message, then I suggest some re-thinking of the idea.

Interrupted, not interpreted. Peter was preaching along when some hearers stopped him with a question. "Men and brethren, what shall we do?"

I was asking your opinion, not giving mine as to what kind of response is expected from believers.

I'm certainly not advocating responses which are kept secret. It's just the opposite. Confession before men is scriptural, obviously.

Similar things have happened in my church. I think it's great. Just don't call it an invitation.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Founders-era invitation, as reported in the Southern Baptist Convention's Boards of Foreign and Domestic Missions Missionary Journal (vol. 2, 1847):