1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Am I a Bigot

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Are we not all bigots to a certain degree by definition? I believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to God and Salvation, all the rest of you ignorant people are wrong.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suppose I change the sentence just a bit: because I was not attracted to, nor would I have chosen to marry a woman with a 45 BMI?

Would I be a bigot?

Salty

(a female 5'4" @ 260 lbs = BMI 44)

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Nope, I do not wonder about any of your examples and this is why. Saved individuals are a new creature in Christ, along with the old tendency to sin. This results in isolated times of sin, as the examples you cited. The pastor who preached hate for decades as a pattern of life had no regenerative qualities, as there was no turning from the sin, because there was no presence of the Holy Spirit. Besides that, eternal destiny is not based on repentence of this or that sin, it is based on the grace of God through faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross.

Saved individuals do not continue a life long pattern of sin in the same manner as before salvation. There is a radical change. Did David murder and commit adultry over and over?

I have to wonder why you would think up a senario that supports supposed pastors who would preach such hate. The fact is, you were not there, you did not live it, so you do not have a clue. Another question that comes to mind is why would I think about the eternal destiny of movie stars when the question being discussed was the meaning of unequally yoked?

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I disagree with the notion that these men preached "hate". It may have been more of a "equal but separate" issue. Not condoning, but just my thinking.

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in my understanding of the word "bigot" BUT...

...I always said if I were married to more than one woman at one time, that would be: Big-of-me?" :laugh::laugh::laugh: Sorry, but I couldn't let that go by without that old one liner from, I believe, Jack Benny!

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Guess this is one of those agree to disagree. Watching it, the speakers eyes were intense. They were adamant about seperation of the races in local churches. I do not see any basis whatsoever for denying membership, refusing to perform interracial marriages, or other such nonsense. Some pastors believed that black human beings had no soul. How that could possibly translate into a child of God is beyond my comprehension.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked the question, because mere opposition to homosexuality is classified as bigotry. So I was wondering if the mere fact that I'm not sexually attracted to men would soon mean I am a bigot.

This is why I take the issue back to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It wasn't about voting. It was the feds choosing one's friends for him. It matters not what one thinks about racism, the issue was the power and scope of the federal government. We would not be facing the sodomy issues today if not for that act.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Key word is "Some pastors". No doubt there were KKK types, but many preachers did not teach that Blacks had not soul. Rather they saw inter-racial marriaage as a potiental roadblock. The same could be said of any major differences, whether it be rich/poor; PHD/8th grade; Lib/Con; Rom Cath/IFB.....
    Any major difference in two folks may often be a can of worms.

9. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I am white, and I have always dated white women, however...several years ago..the 80's.. there was a co-worker of mine..a black woman, who I would not have minded in the least going out with.

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So it's not based on repentance, yet "individuals do not continue a life long pattern of sin in the same manner as before salvation." Do they then have absolutely no choice but to turn from sin, even though their salvation is not based on that? As for David, he committed more acts that miss the mark, such as numbering his troops, not the keenest management of his sons and their actions with each others' wives and all that, and in his last days he got a virgin to use as a Teddy Bear to keep him warm and sleep with. If those are okay acts, let's you and I do them.

Well, sorry, I thought you were giving me a clue.

I didn't even refer specifically to movie stars; but one big-name entertainer I did have in mind who fits the pattern I referenced was Mickey Rooney, because I know he claimed ?years ago that he had become a born again believer, though I haven't heard anything about him recently, including whether he still gets rid of one wife for another with such frequency [actually, I don't even know if he's still living].

But more to the meat of your subject, do you put Peter and James into the same category as those racist pastors, remembering at Antioch there was that occasion when they were eating only with Jews, and Paul called them out on it? If not them, how about judaizers who said it's necessary to circumcise gentile believers and make them obey the law (of Moses)? Then how about the prejudice against Catholics, especially in the 19th century, and particularly against the Irish, NINA?

You seem to want to make evil that you have seen practice and taught a top priority, when there are other such examples of many times and many places.

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have dated....

....Hispanic, Jewish, black and Asian women in my younger days. And had the world not been so bigotted back in the mid-60's, I'd probably married a gal from high school who was black. We both knew it was taboo, so, we let it slide. I've never forgot her, but, times were different then.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, I do not put James and Peter in the same catagory as the thugs acting as pastors some 1900 years later. Peter and James grew in their lifetimes, both to accept the Gospel had come to the Gentiles. This was just a few decades after the Ressurection. The ones I am talking about never grew one bit towards accepting the fact that blacks and whites are created equal in need of salvation. Not only that, the idiots had 1900 years of history if they did not believe Scripture to come to that conclusion.

The bottom line is, Peter and James had the love of God in them, as they did Christ. They made mistakes but grew in His grace. The pastors to which I am referring did not grow, did not have the love of God in them, and left a trash heap of hatred wherever they went until the Lord took them out.

13. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on why. I too would never marry a black person, but it is because of their culture not because they are black. On a personal bases just like my own ethnanticity I have run into some that could considered in marriage, but because of the black culture I would not let it happen.