1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I would have to say that most of the preaching done here is in expository style. I enjoy that style!

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Is it just me, but am I right that most of these mega-church preachers, and yuppie pastors rarely ever read from the Bible? Or use notes? Or stand behind the pulpit?

Is this an image thing? Seems to me that it's all part of the package. No notes, no Bible, lots of meandering around the platform, blue jeans, shirt untucked, no necktie, goatee, sometimes shaved head.

I've never heard one mega-church pastor ever preach the gospel, but at least he does wear a suit and is clean shaven. Boy, am I old.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think it's a matter of comfort. If you are comfortable preaching that way then that is how you will preach. In the past I used manuscripts then noticed more and more I was never really reading them so I stopped. Now I pace the entire sanctuary and will rarely use notes.

If I find I have need for a bible I have my blackberry in my pocket so I will use it. If I need a scripture read for clarity I will generally just have one of the members read it which can be weird and rewarding since you never know what version they have. I let the spirit lead the message but we are no where near mega in size...

I know I'm a poor example because I don't even carry a bible. I found myself giving them away. I think it's best to hear the message then to worry about how the man presents it. We should divide the word by the word.

You haven't see Rick Warren... No suit and not clean shaven...

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I understand individual preaching styles. Yours seems to come naturally to you. It seems contrived in some I have watched.

I realize I was not clear when I said I had never heard one mega-church pastor ever preach the gospel

I should have said that I have in mind one mega-church pastor whom I have never heard preach a gospel sermon. I did not have Rick Warren in mind.