1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

America...anti-Christian??

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by KimS, Feb 19, 2004.

1. KimS

KimS New Member

I'm writing this to see if (a) others have dealt with this and (b) how they handle the situation.

I'm very new here on the board. I was saved last summer. I am beginning to feel that this country is very anti-Christian. Here's an example of why I feel this way.

Lesbians and gays are praised for "coming out of the closet" and embracing their homosexuality. But if you say anything against that lifestyle, you're ridiculed and told we need to embrace this culture.

Other religions are allowed to practice their religon however they wish, but many Christians are ridiculed (and harrassed) when they want to pray before meals in public or pray at the beginning of the day with friends.

In my workplace, there was someone worked here before me who had to pray at certain times of the day because of their religious belief. That person was offered the use of one of the conference rooms to do this and wasn't bothered. But I was told (to my face) that people who bring bibles to work are weird by the same person who didn't think anything of letting his employee pray in the conference room. This person didn't know I had one in my desk at the time, and I was stunned and unfortunately let it slide. But in my desk, I keep my bible. During down times, lunch breaks, or whenever I'm getting frustrated, I read it. I shouldn't feel that I have to hide it, but I do. When I eventually told this person that I keep a bible in my desk, I got that's "oh that's great" (quite sarcastically).

There is so much more I can write (esp. in regards to my workplace), but I won't as it frustrates me. I would like to see other viewpoints on this. Maybe I'm taking things to personally, but it gets hard trying to let things slide so much.

Anyway, thanks for letting me get this off my chest. [​IMG]

Kim

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not "anti-Christian" as much as "Post Christian", but agree with your venting. It IS frustrating to see everyone and everything tolerated EXCEPT us!

3. rbrent

rbrent New Member

Kim-

We live in a Post-Christian culture here in America.

Even professing Christians and many professing Baptists stubbornly refuse to inform their opinions and get their doctrinal beliefs from the scriptures.

Read the posts on the Baptist Board to see the truth of my statement.

There are "professing baptist christians" who support abortion and every other kind of anti-scriptural abomination.

And if a Christian who believes the scriptures quotes a scripture about one of these issues, the "professing baptist christian" sneers, scoffs, laughs and rejects what the scripture clearly says.

Stick with the Scriptures.

Keep Your Eyes On The Lord - Looking unto Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith...

Grow in grace and knowledge.

Allow the love of God to be shed abroad in your heart by the Holy Ghost, through your verbal witness and through the way you live your life and work at your job.

Maranatha! - Our Lord Is Coming!

4. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Kim S, yes it seems to be "Non-Christian" and even largely "Anti-Christian" and possibly "Post-Christian" (lets not give the Enemy total victory here!!) but I'm not sure if America was ever strongly, purely Christian at any time. If you research early American history, the "Christian" groups who colonized this beautiful land were perscuted people who persecuted others who were not of their denomination, even killing them. Baptists and Quakers were persecuted a lot, I mean a whole lot. Book "Baptists Who Shaped a Nation" by Armstrong (Broadman Press) gives some details. Very troubled past regarding "Christianity" yet we had many godly men who were bold in declaring and advancing their beliefs. Don't worry about America's spirituality, pray for it, but keep your focus on your own spiritual growth, even if you are the only Christian in the entire universe! God bless you and protect you. Look to Jesus only, you;ll be blessed!

5. Tim

Tim New Member

If you don't worry about what others say or think of you, I bet you'll eventually see some other Christians come out of hiding too.

Tim

6. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Tim, good point. Boldness in Christ can be contagious, sets a good example for more shy or timid Christians. Kim S, cling to Jesus Christ alone as Protector, Guide, Lord, Saviour, Friend, Love, the eternal Joy and Peace of your soul. He will never never never let you down. We, including myself, need to do a lot less arguing and lot lot lot more witnessing. Sharing your faith, Bible study, prayer, kindness, and Christian fellowship make you grow in strength, wisdom, faith.

7. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Kim, well, by what I have seen here, you may be fairly new in Christ, but your perception of the situation is quite good.
    You are new here, so you may not have seen what I posted earlier about workplace rights. No, you do not surrender your first amendment rights at your job. Having a Bible at work was EXACTLY the same problem I had with an employer. I went to the websight of The American Center for Law and Justice: www.aclj.org and they sent me a booklet on workplace rights. I followed their advice to the letter and had no further problem: the Bible is at the desk!
    A fair warning though: not everyone knows the Lord and if you do the end around an employer this way,he/she won't dismiss you for THAT, but may seek some other way to be rid of you. It happens.

8. KimS

KimS New Member

Thank you all for your support and excellent advice. I really needed it. [​IMG]

Kim

9. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

America is, and should be by the Constitution, officially neutral towards any religion. Individuals are free to express their religious beliefs whatever they might be as they see fit.

10. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Good point S & N