1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

America making progress toward greatness....

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Calminian, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

• Like Like x 1
  2. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

• Like Like x 1
  3. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a bogus headline. Somehow they neglected to mention that real estate/rental went DOWN by twice as much as mining went up (-40%). My takeaway from this chart is on balance the economy went down because of a sharp drop in real estate but there was a bright spot in mining which has been way down due to commodities going down.
    Also: "Among other industries that declined during the quarter, according to the BEA data, were agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (-39.8%); utilities (-6.4%); retail trade (-3.6%); and arts, entertainment, recreation, accommodation, and food services (-0.9%)."

So they didn't even put on the chart that agriculture also went DOWN 40%, utilities DOWN 9% and retail DOWN 3.6%."

Boom: Mining +21.6% in Q1; Construction +5.6%; Manufacturing +4.7%; Bust: Finance and Insurance -2.1%

#3 FollowTheWay, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  4. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's only a one page article, and they do show those real estate/rental numbers right there in the chart.

5. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The headline is a lie. It doesn't match the data.

6. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mining +21.6% in Q1; Construction +5.6%; Manufacturing +4.7%; Bust: Finance and Insurance -2.1%
    None of that is a lie

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Q1 GDP is still kind of anemic but it's still double what was predicted:

GDP Grew Just 0.7 Percent In First Quarter Of 2017

much of this can't be credited nor blamed on Trump, it's too early to tell. About the specific sectors, I have heard "farming, fishing and hunting" took the big because of decreased immigration but that doesn't explain the increase in construction. Not disturbed at all by the decrease in insurance and finance, K Street has had its day in the sun but don't like the retail numbers - that's a tell that the economy is still sluggish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Somehow they neglected to mention that real estate/rental went DOWN by twice as much as mining went up (-40%). My takeaway from this chart is on balance the economy went down because of a sharp drop in real estate but there was a bright spot in mining which has been way down due to commodities going down.
    Also: "Among other industries that declined during the quarter, according to the BEA data, were agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (-39.8%); utilities (-6.4%); retail trade (-3.6%); and arts, entertainment, recreation, accommodation, and food services (-0.9%)."

So they didn't even put on the chart that agriculture also went DOWN 40%, utilities DOWN 9% and retail DOWN 3.6%."

9. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you NOT even know how to read a graph?:

https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/industry/gdpindustry/2017/pdf/gdpind117.pdf

Overall, real gross output increased in 15 of 22 industry groups.

The percentages of the sectors is going to fluctuate and will always total 100. Sheesh.

• Like Like x 2
  10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some only see that which supports the progressive left POV.

Not saying it's anyone's problem here but for some posters here at the BB the evidence is abundant.

HankD

11. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I won't accept your insults. You have no idea who I am and what I've done. Give it up. I'm not into trading insults because I have the ability to understand and deal with facts.

IMF slashes U.S. growth forecasts for 2017 and 2018

The IMF on Sunday lowered its economic growth forecasts for the United States to 2.1% for this year and the next, down from the 2.3% for 2017 and 2.5% for 2018 that it had predicted in April.

That's a far cry from the 4% growth President Trump promised on the campaign trail, and significantly lower than the 3% growth he has targeted since assuming office.

The global financial institution cited the "uncertainty" over the Trump administration's policies as the main reason for the downgrade.

#11 FollowTheWay, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  12. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think the gist of the article was to point up how mining is indeed making a modest comeback with the change in administrations and the reversal of many Obama era regulations.

Bear in mind that some have said of IMF forecasts - "Much taxpayer money can be saved if the monetary fund's staff was replaced with dart-throwing chimps." - Zerohedge

• Like Like x 1