1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

American people: "Throw the bums out!"

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Oct 4, 2013.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

I say, "YES! Throw 'em all out. Elect fiscal conservatives, put the career politicians out of work, let them know 'We're mad as hell, and we're not gonna take it anymore!' "

Seriously, this sentiment will either die of natural causes over the holidays and accompanying Congressional recess, or it will snowball into a movement to take back the government and make it, as Abe Lincoln famously said, " ... of the people, for the people, by the people.". I'm hoping for the latter. Then we can elect Ben Carson to run it all in 2016.

#1 thisnumbersdisconnected, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2013
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a student of history & you know what is glaringly obvious....we say we modeled our government like the ancient Romans....with a senate & a congress but we stopped short in emulating them in other ways.

1. the position of Roman Consul (Pre Empire)A consul served in the highest elected political office of the Roman Republic.

Each year, two consuls were elected together, to serve for a one-year term. Each consul was given veto power over his colleague and the officials would alternate each month.

Note: you can get rid of tyrants easy that way

2. Roman Censor-The censor was an officer in ancient Rome who was responsible for maintaining the census, supervising public morality, and overseeing certain aspects of the government's finances.

The censors' regulation of public morality is the origin of the modern meaning of the words "censor" and "censorship."

Note: If you were to read Early Roman History (prior to Empire) men like Cato the Elder were chosen to function in the position of Censor & they were good at what they did.

For example: Cato had Scipio Africanus exiled (the General who vanquished Hannibal thus saving Rome) for various misappropriations. And I quote Cato, "The laws against embezzlement should be no respecters of persons." Think long & hard on that when you reflect on BO & his administration & how they operate.

And this man always advocated a Roman political policy of justice & nonintervention (except when he felt another country could pose a real threat to his country....Like Carthage). Lets question Syria & Libya

My point is that if we citizens of the USA had structured those posts into our own political system, perhaps we would not be going through this pain now.

#2 Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 4, 2013
  3. thisnumbersdisconnected

1. Then how did Nero, Caligula, etc. happen?

2. That puts too much power in the hands of one man. The "check-and-balance" we have between the legislative branch and the executive branch is absent in the Roman model. If they decided to cooperate and not overrule one another, they would become dictators, just as did the emperors named above.

I think I'll stick with what we've got. It's a better system.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said, this was the ruling principles of Rome prior to Julius Ceasar & his ussuring in the Empire. Then you had Despots & Dictators running things & those principals went out the door.
    Obviously your not versed in Early Roman Civilization. In it there was complete checks & balances with two Councel, a Senate, Quiaestorship, Tribunes (representing the Plebians) Aediles, Praetors, Censors & again the office of Consul.

Any self respecting Roman, Patrician and Pleb, would shutter to mention Dictatorship/ Empire. That was detestable (in the early days) .... but you rarely hear about that Rome, rather you hear about a corrupt & decadent later Rome (which with time they became)

I wonder what history will say about the USA....will they give credit to a people that overthrew tyranny, created a Constitution, fought Nazi's & Fascists.....or the dross we have become.....with this BO creep.
    Yea, just look at it! :laugh:

#4 Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 4, 2013
  5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

We are really not that far apart. Our differences focus on individuals such as Mitch McConnell and Speaker Boehner. These types are providing the leadership in Congress that is about as clear as mud.

The anger by the American people towards Congress as a whole transcends political ideals. The figure of approval hovers around 10%. Regardless of what you or I think about spending, Obamacare, or a balanced budget, these are the reasons that the public is so angry:

All of Congress was elected to do a job, govern the country in a proper and smooth manner. That means passing budgets and appropriation bills on time. It means seeking out the other side and coming up with governable solutions. It does not mean acting like three year olds throwing a tantrum.

Congress is charged to govern by the Constitution. Neither side gives the Constitution one consideration.

Congress's motivation is suppose to be to serve the American people. Instead, their motivation is the next election, padding their bank accounts, and increasing their power.

Congress's job according to the Constitution is to legislate laws. It is not to take pseudo stands at election time as our moral compass. Abortion, gay rights, and family values are not under the jurisdiction of the federal government. It would be one thing if individual Congressmen on the Republican side actually cared about these issues, but they do not. They care about being reelected. They talk about the evils of abortion to pander for votes. It is just another tool towards another term. Issues like this should come from the heart of the American people. If any government enforcement is needed, it should be local or state. Lets get real, the character of the average Congressman or Senator telling the average, honest, hard working American how to live their lives?

Congressmen have more days a year off than they work. When they are in session, they do not govern, they flap their jaws on CSpan. They play political games. The whole group of them border on treason. Everyone of them should be thrown out in 2014.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will be voting against all incumbents for national office for the next 10 years. We need wholesale change in DC. He Union is at stake.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

I tend to agree, PIJ, though I whole-heartedly support the Republican efforts to force the Great Pretender to compromise, as presidents, real or otherwise, have always done. Had they grown a backbone four years ago, we wouldn't be in this mess now.