1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amillenialism or Historic Premillenialism

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael D. Edwards, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Chris,

I have a Reformed Baptist friend who absolutely denies any real, literal, Kingdom Age on the earth when Christ will rule over His theocracy. He like ‘ . . . B.B. Warfield embraced the Romish idea, common to all who defend the amillennial theory.' [Lewis Sperry Chafer Systematic Theology, Vol. 4 p. 281].

Chafer as well as myself understand that Calvinism was fathered originally by Augustine, the great saint of the Roman Catholic Church. Calvinism was handed down to Protestants at the time of Protestant Reformation, first through Martin Luther.

My understanding of those who believe in Amillennialism believe that we could well be in this spiritual kingdom on the earth. They believe that those who are won to Christ now are somehow in this spiritual kingdom--the non-literal millennium. I believe this is the view of Mr. Camping. I could be wrong.

The Theory of Whitby. This conception was originated by Daniel Whitby {1638-1725}, an English theologian whose belief has never recovered from a Socinian charge. Whitby contended that the millennium is yet future, but will be set up in the earth by present gospel agencies. Thus he became the originator of what is know as post-millennialism--that is, the belief that the second advent (Second Coming) is to follow the setting up of a man-made millennium. This theory appealed to theologians and until recent years has been promulgated in theologies and sermons. That the theory of Whitby is dead by now cannot be denied. [ . . .Chafer Systematic Theology Vol. 4 p. 28l].

The Amillennialists that I know would never agree with Christ literally sitting in His Millennial Temple in Jerusalem in the future, after the catching away of the saints to Heaven, and before the Second Coming of Christ to destroy the wicked.

Christ will rule in a theocracy on the earth in the future, before the New Heaven and the New Earth are established. [Micah 5:2] ‘ . . .Who is to be Ruler in Israel . . .' [Zechariah 14:1-21 especially vs. 9, 17. ‘ . . . that whosoever will not come up of all the families of the earth unto JERUSALEM to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.' No where under the former covenant or during this covenant age, does the Lord require that we or nations travel to Jerusalem to worship Him. {I would have to go by ship because I hate flying}. From the true Genesis account until now there never has been this decree from the Lord to travel to the capital of Israel to worship Him. This will dawn in the future. Perhaps some might have forgotten that Jesus still is ‘ . . . the Lion of the Tribe of Judah, the Root of David . . . ‘ At the appropriate time this will be the elected place for the Lord to receive our veneration and adoration.

Respectfully,

"Ray"

2. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Temple ]

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Chris,
    I have a Reformed Baptist friend who absolutely denies any real, literal, Kingdom Age on the earth when Christ will rule over His theocracy. He like ‘ . . . B.B. Warfield embraced the Romish idea, common to all who defend the amillennial theory.' [Lewis Sperry Chafer Systematic Theology, Vol. 4 p. 281].

My understanding of those who believe in Amillennialism believe that we could well be in this spiritual kingdom on the earth. They believe that those who are won to Christ now are somehow in this spiritual kingdom--the non-literal millennium. I believe this is the view of Mr. Camping. I could be wrong.

The Theory of Whitby. This conception was originated by Daniel Whitby {1638-1725}, an English theologian whose belief has never recovered from a Socinian charge. Whitby contended that the millennium is yet future, but will be set up in the earth by present gospel agencies. Thus he became the originator of what is know as post-millennialism--that is, the belief that the second advent (Second Coming) is to follow the setting up of a man-made millennium. This theory appealed to theologians and until recent years has been promulgated in theologies and sermons. That the theory of Whitby is dead by now cannot be denied. [ . . .Chafer Systematic Theology Vol. 4 p. 28l].

The Amillennialists that I know would never agree with Christ literally sitting in His Millennial Temple in Jerusalem in the future, after the catching away of the saints to Heaven, and before the Second Coming of Christ to destroy the wicked.

Christ will rule in a theocracy on the earth in the future, before the New Heaven and the New Earth are established. [Micah 5:2] ‘ . . .Who is to be Ruler in Israel . . .' [Zechariah 14:1-21 especially vs. 9, 17. ‘ . . . that whosoever will not come up of all the families of the earth unto JERUSALEM to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.' No where under the former covenant or during this covenant age, does the Lord require that we or nations travel to Jerusalem to worship Him. {I would have to go by ship because I hate flying}. From the true Genesis account until now there never has been this decree from the Lord to travel to the capital of Israel to worship Him. This will dawn in the future. Perhaps some might have forgotten that Jesus still is ‘ . . . the Lion of the Tribe of Judah, the Root of David . . . ‘ At the appropriate time this will be the elected place for the Lord to receive our veneration and adoration.

Respectfully,

"Ray"

4. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Michael,

Yes, Dr. Van Impe may not try to be a showman on television, it just appears that way. I guess he is really enthused over what he believes. He always has his 'ear to the rail' as to anything that he might include in his thoughts on eschatology. In our area of the country they call him 'the walking Bible.'

"Ray"