1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

AMISH and buggy tail lights

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Salty, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some time ago, I read an article where the Commonwealth of Penna, took the Amish to court over the fact that some refused to use tailights on their buggys :rolleyes: . Their reasoning was that they did not believe in bright lights.

Does anyone have any kind of update on this?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks, Salty :rolleyes:

2. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I thought it was over those triangle shaped reflectors attatched to the rear of the buggy.

3. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear Gershom,

You are correct in stating that the court case was over the large orange triangles being on the buggies.

The compromise was to allow for the use of reflecting tape to define the buggy's outline for visibilty instead of the triangles,thus not offending the beliefs of that particular sect of the Amish and satisfying road safety requirements.

The buggies of other Amish sects have battery powered headlights and taillights.

In Christ,

Dale

4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

And yet being originally from PA, and Lancaster County being my wife and I's favorite place to visit, have seen with my own eyes, the Amish farmers pulling gasoline powered tillers with a horse! :eek: Buy a John Deere silly! Also, tobacco is one of their favorite cash crops. :confused:

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This adds nothing to the conversation, but is Pennsylvia(SP) a commonwealth? I know Kentucky is and ther is one more, but it it Pennsylvia(SP)? I was thinking it was Maryland?

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Virginia is also a Commonwealth. But the real question is: what is the difference between a Commonwealth and a State? I do know know the answer. Hopefully someone else can fill us in.

SALTY

7. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

1 archaic : COMMONWEAL 2
    2 : a nation, state, or other political unit: as a : one founded on law and united by compact or tacit agreement of the people for the common good b : one in which supreme authority is vested in the people c : REPUBLIC
    3 capitalized a : the English state from the death of Charles I in 1649 to the Restoration in 1660 b : PROTECTORATE 1b
    4 : a state of the U.S. -- used officially of Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia
    5 capitalized : a federal union of constituent states -- used officially of Australia
    6 often capitalized : an association of self-governing autonomous states more or less loosely associated in a common allegiance (as to the British crown)
    7 often capitalized : a political unit having local autonomy but voluntarily united with the U.S. -- used officially of Puerto Rico and of the Northern Mariana Islands

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So why do those 4 political subdivisions call themselves commonwealths and not states?

9. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

Commonwealth comes to us by way of having once been colonized by England and having once been under their rule. It's just a blast from the past and a proud connection to distant ritualism (we like the English connection).

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great...what was the original topic?

11. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

Amish buggies. Tell them to GET A CAR! I hate horse poop.

12. wopik

wopik New Member

13. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, if that is not an example of Total Depravity, I don't know what is.

14. wopik

wopik New Member

Lancaster county, PA is the best place to see lots of Amish folks, specially riding down Rt. 30 around Gap on Sundays. The area around Cross Keys has a lot too.