1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured An Answer to a Question

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robt.k.fall, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Hmmm, makahiya117 is banned on 10/2 and coincidentally prophet joins the next day.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you actually read her book? It's laughably bad. Full of errors, shoddy research, outright lies. If her degree is equal to her book it should have come in a box of Crackerjacks.

So sales of a book is a benchmark of quality? Aim higher, man

3. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

My only 'aim' is to point out that an institution with a grad. that authors a well selling book in their field, and decides to ride the success bandwagon with that surgir, by giving them an honorary doctorate, is not similiar to someone trying to pawn off an illegal fraudulent feed to the Brooklyn Bridge.
    I could care less about the book, I tried to read it, and put it away as a reference. And I don't care for conspiracy theory nut lady theologians. In fact, I was lamenting that the College blackballed It's then faculty member (the exposed pervert heretic Jack Schaap being the College admin. responsible), William P.Grady, who actually published a worthy tome.

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

Same argument, same wording, even. Not so amazing, eh?

5. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

None of the below is germane to my OP. The OP sought to explain how KJVOism became widely (but falsely) identified in with the IFB movement.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I have a deed to the Washington Monument. Good tourist income, freshly repaired. Since you seem to be an eager prospective buyer, maybe I'll toss in a letter of marque permitting you to attack & seize any Somali pirate ships you see & confiscate any valuables you may find on them.

MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE RANCH...

"Honorary" doctorate degrees do NOT include a download of knowledge of the subject for which such a "degree" is awarded. So GAR spent seven years making her book? It took her imagination THAT LONG to get into gear!

Not to mention the gact that she confused Brooke Fenton Westcott, the Scriptural manuscript researcher, with William Wynn Westcott, the founder of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, an occultic society. The two Westcotts weren't related, nor did they know each other. And I don't believe the 'confusion' was accidental.

Not to mention her deliberate misquotes of other authors. those misquotes are PROVEN, as several of those authors are still living, and all the works from which she misquoted are readily available.

If YOU wanna put stock in such an author, and you find out she aint all she was cracked up to be, don't blame Desenex.

7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, few IFBs are actually KJVO. Recently, at one of their conferences, they rejected KJVO, saying there's no one English Bible translation, nor any translation in any other current language that can be held as the ONLY 100%-correct and pure word of God.

However, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. And several IFB pastors and preachers squeaked the KJVO myth so loudly that mucho 'grease' came their way. many of those pastors sought to create their own little church community in the same manner as some well-known cults do. Before long, other tenets of legalism set in, such as seen in some pentecostal or holiness congregations. Unfortunately, some of those churches have slipped into "sanctification by works" without realizing it. The KJV Bible has become a holy relic to them insteada an excellent translation of God's word to man. Also, unfortunately, those pastors have been so successful that it's hard to lead any of their members outta the KJVO quicksand pit.

People on the outside of such churches see they claim to be IBF and so associate KJVO with IBF.

We see very few pastors of other denoms preaching the KJVO myth, so it remains largely identified with IFBs. How often do you see a non-IBF sanctuary with "King-James-Bible-Only" or similar upon the shingle in fronta the building?

However, let us remember that KJVOs and KJVO churches are only a small fraction of IBF churches and members, althouth many IBF preachers generally preach from the KJV. I'm an IBF, and I hardly believe anyone who knows me would call me KJVO except in jest. Same for my church; the NKJV is the generally used BV in it.

Our best course is to keep exposing the falsehood of the KJVO myth, while reminding people that the KJV is still an excellent English Bible translation. Let the HOLY SPIRIT lead each of us to the Bible version(s) HE would have us use.

8. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

Are you agreeing with me? As I did write "widely (but falsely) identified". My bold in the quote.

9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm agreeing mostly, but the association between the KJVO myth and IBF will remain in many peoples' minds for a long time, unless the org of IBFs takes bold and widely-publicized steps to refute it.

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Therein lies a problem. There is no one authoratative org of IFBs.

11. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to BaptistBoard, prophet joined in May 2010 - long before makahiya117 joined.

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Yawnnnnnnn!

Same ole same ole right here on the BB translations forum. Edification is nearly a lost gift/art in our day. That's also why I haven't been here in weeks.....it got to where it was depressing instead of edifying (and yes...I admit my own shared guilt in this matter). I still love my KJV and will continue to do so. Just passing through...heading back out now!

Bro.Greg

13. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV-only advocates present no positive, edifying, consistent, sound, scriptural case for a KJV-only view.

14. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

And that is........

.....strictly your opinion...to which you are entitled. There has been much evidence presented (depending upon each side's prevailing bias) and this argument is as polarized (and always will be) as the pro-life/abortion debate ever was. The only difference is that most of the people involved with THIS debate actually/probably ARE really saved folks who have embraced one form of "scholarship" or another. Frankly, I've been here awhile now and I've seen NOTHING that would make me even consider changing the position I hold. Rather....I'm just about to the place where I don't even want to even talk about it anymore. I'm more interested in trying to discern what the Book actually says and how it applies to our lives so that we can, with whatever time we still have on this earth, in this fleshly
    existence, live in such a way as to bring honor and glory to God and our Saviour, the Lord Jesus......and....."finish well". That's all I wish to say for now. Rick...I don't disrespect you for you are a man with apparent considerable knowledge....but I do respectfully disagree with your conclusions.

Bro.Greg

#34 Gregory Perry Sr., Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2013
  15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believe that one can attempt to prove either that the TR is the best Greek text , or that the Kjv is the preferred version, but thre is NO way to even attempt to prove that the KJV is ONLY version to use from God to us!

16. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With which of my conclusions do you disagree? Do you perhaps make wrong assumptions about what my conclusions actually are?

Do you disagree with my acceptance of all that the Scriptures state and teach about themselves?

Do you disagree with my conclusion that a consistent and scriptural view of preservation would be true both before and after 1611?

Do you disagree with my conclusion that a consistent and scriptural view of Bible translation would be true both before and after 1611?

Do you disagree with my scripturally based conclusion that the word of God is not bound or limited to the textual criticism decisions and translation decisions of any one exclusive group of scholars or critics?

Do you disagree with my conclusion that a consistent and scriptural view of Bible translation would be true for all believers regardless of the language that they speak and not just for those who speak English?

Do you disagree with my scripturally based conclusion that the foundation or source for all translations [the preserved Scriptures in the original languages] has greater authority than the derived authority of any translation or translations made from underlying original language texts?

Do you disagree with my scripturally based conclusion that the showing of partiality to any one exclusive group of scholars would be wrong?

Do you disagree with my scripturally based conclusion that use of unrighteous divers measures [double standards] in evaluating the original language manuscript evidence or in evaluating or trying translations would be wrong?

17. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you disagree with my conclusion that the KJV is the word of God in English in the same way or in the same sense that the pre-1611 English Bibles such as the Geneva Bible are and in the same way or in the same sense that later English Bibles such as the 1842 revision of the KJV by Baptists and the NKJV are?

18. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you DO have a right to be wrong. We have shown you the man-made, cultic, dishonest origin of the KJVO myth. We have proven its salient points wrong. We have repeatedly asked the KJVOs for PROOF FROM GOD that KJVO is legitimate, and have received no response. Thus, we can only conclude that KJVOs simply aren't interested in the truth about KJVO cuz they're too much in thrall to that myth to see it's bad.

19. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    * NEWSFLASH* KJVO-ISM IS DEAD!!

Oh, no!!!! Now what are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton (oops, I meant Logos and robycop) gonna do with their time!!??

Seriously...................I'm telling you it's sad!!! Logos and robycop are EVERYWHERE at almost every hour of the day, posting on forums all over the internet about KJVOism! Same old arguments for YEARS now. You guys SERIOUSLY need to "get a life". What would you do if KJVOism DID go away? You'd have NOTHING to post about! What a sad life you must have if this the way you spend your days (and it apparently is).

#39 Baptist4life, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well, guess what? Can't speak for Logos, of course, but I intend to go right on blasting the KJVO myth long as anyone publicly advocates it. Were it to actually be relegated to the closets of some dreamers and wishful thinkers, there are plenty of other false doctrines to attack, as well as the many pseudo/quasi-Christian cults. If out attax against the KJVO myth prods the consciences of you KJVOs-well, TUFF! Maybe y'all wil awaken to the falsehood of the whole KJVO thingie. if not, we hope to keep others from swallowing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.