1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Answer To Alcoholic Beverages

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by His Blood Spoke My Name, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It was just an example. Of course they could boil water. I do not advocate the drinking of alcohol and I do not condemn those who do drink it. My point was to show that it had a purpose in ancient times besides just getting drunk and that the word wine really meant wine, as in Paul telling Timothy to drink a little wine for his stomach.

2. His Blood Spoke My Name

The New Testament Greek, not Strongs Greek, does not say 'paroinos'

#62 His Blood Spoke My Name, Jun 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  3. His Blood Spoke My Name

Then it should be in the rules that not even parts of screen names should be used, else how are the members to know?

I have found other threads that have parts of members screen names in thread titles here on the BB that have not been changed.

If the rule applies to one, it should apply to all.

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Amen. As I've said elsewhere, they even mixed water and wine to dilute the alcohol and also kill bacteria in the water.

But I'll echo the sentiment that drunkenness is absolutely wrong, and I do not want any new Christians to mistake my views on wine as condoning drunkenness. No way.

5. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I'd like to explain an impression I received from some of the earlier threads.

Let's say that I believe that the wine Jesus drank was alcoholic. The day I am in front of Jesus Christ, does anyone believe that Jesus will look to me and say, "I never knew you" because I thought he drank alcoholic wine and not nonalcoholic wine? I believe Jesus, have faith in His life, death, ressurrection, understand that He is God in the flesh, etc. I have a continual, daily walk with Him, try and live as He did, yet believe that He probably took some drinks of alcoholic wine. Does this mean that I know a "different" Jesus?? That was my impression I received, which if true, think is absolutely rediculous. Just thought I'd throw that thought out there to be corrected if it needs to be.

Was my impression wrong?

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

That's right. I just saw a thread that had an "r" AND an "l" in it...2 letters from "rbell!" Obviously a double standard.

:saint: Now I'm just cutting up...but it ain't no big thing HBSMN. Let it go.

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I think your impression was right. I think some people were saying exactly that - that if you believe Jesus drank wine (real wine, not grape juice), then you believe in a different Jesus than they do, and are not saved. The most amazing thing about that view is that it has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not YOU drink wine. Just believing Jesus drank wine means you're not saved.

I can think of few views on soteriology that are more ridiculous. I especially think any believer up until the mid-1800s (definitely the reformers) would have a good belly-laugh over that one.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

That is why we have a "report post" button which I used to report your title to the moderator.

I would love to see where partial screen names were permitted to stand if you can find them.

9. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

What does 1 Tim 3:3 say then in the "New Testament Greek?" What is the word translated wine?

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't know if this is an open quesiton or for HB. It is a compound word, so it isn't a separate word for wine. The word for wine is "oinos". The Greek word for "given to wine" or "drunken" is "paroinos". The latter (paroinos) is the word in 1 Timothy 3:3.

11. His Blood Spoke My Name

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (Matthew 7:22-23)

dan, These people thought they were doing the work of the Lord. They apparently thought they had a relationship with Him and He with them.

I certainly believe that many will believe in a false christ and will serve him thinking he is the real Christ.

If I told someone that I was dane and gave your address, but gave a description of what I looked like, do you think the person would know you if they came to your address? would you knnow them?

Paul thought he was doing the Lord's work in persecuting Christians. Yet, Paul did not know Christ until he met Him on that Damascus road.

We must know the Christ of the Bible.

12. His Blood Spoke My Name

Look in the prayer request section first, C4K. granny, Brother Bob is mentioned, that is a full screen name BTW.

And I know that some will say that is the prayer request page and they should stay. But rules are rules.

And I am sure there are more in that thread and others. With only a little searching i found those.

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

From the TBV (Totally Bogus Version)

Luke 23:43 Jesus answered him, "First, let me give you this 100-page theology test. The first question is, 'Do you believe I ever drank real wine?' If you pass it, I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise. Ready? Do not turn the page until told to do so. Okay, start."

14. His Blood Spoke My Name

Let us now examine the words translated “not given to wine.” The Greek is me paroinon; from me, (not) and para, (at, by, near, with) and oinos, wine. Thus we have the command not to be at or near intoxicating or alcoholic wine. Since we have already seen that the word translated “vigilant” to mean abstain, the construction of this inspired passage deserves a clearer explanation. Dr Patton gives us a very interesting insight into the drink issue in 1 Timothy 3:2,3 (above):

Notice the careful steps of the progress. He must be neephalion, abstinent, sober in body, that he may be sophrona, sound in mind, that his influence may be unimpaired, meeparoinon, not with or near wine. We find in this passage no countenance for moderate use of intoxicating wine, but the reverse, the obligation to abstain totally.

Exerpt from 'Wine in the Bible and the Scriptural Case for Total Abstinence" by Leighton G. Campbell.

15. dan e.

dan e. New Member

That in no way answers my question. No need to give me the typical scenarios and illustrations to interpret that verse. My question was clear. Answer clearly please.

16. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing that I really admire about my pastor is:

BALANCE

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

It seems he is now applying the same rules to the BB rules.
    It seems he needed a special revelation from an admin to know that not using screen names includes abbreviated and partial names??

IT is consistent with the interpretation he uses for the Bible.
    Since it does actually say alcoholic wine, it must not be right?

Next time you go somewhere in you car, better make sure you refer to it as your "motorized automobile" otherwise someone might think you are using your horse and buggy! :)

Or how about this one:

Are you reading this on your ELECTRIC computer?

Does [HBSMN] put non dairy milk on his cereal?

[Moderator's Warning: This is the second time I have had to edit one of your posts for misrepresenting a fellow poster's screen name (same person both times). BB Administrator, Dr. Bob, warned you about this and you claimed to have made a mistake. This is your final warning. If you continue to violate BB posting rules 3 and 4 by misrepresenting ot mischaracterizing this poster's screen name your BB membership status will be brought before the BB Administrative Council.]

#77 Dale-c, Jun 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Balance is awfully nice.

19. His Blood Spoke My Name

The answer is clear, dan. The Scripture professes that many will think they know Christ that do not know Him at all.

20. dan e.

dan e. New Member

So let me get this straight...you are equating the context and meaning of that verse, people blindly thinking they are doing the work of God, with someone who thinks that Jesus took a drink of alcoholic wine??

You are discounting evidence of a person's faith, their confessions, works, attitudes, behaviors, etc. because they believe that alcohol is not inherently evil or wrong?

Am I right? If I'm wrong, let me know. Again, YOU were not very clear. I think the Bible is clear. So let me know if I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.