1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Answer to Bishop Wright, Postmodernist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Feb 15, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Good observation on Wright's view of Fundamentalism, for it is not the same as what Baptists term Fundamentalism.

2. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is his definition of fundamentalism. I missed that. Or is it too long to summarize?

Tell me if I understand what he's saying in the quote in the OP. He's saying that the social/idiological polarity between fundamentalism and securlarism will breakdown in postmodern culture. He sees this as a good thing because both philosophies are back into corners where irrational argumentation can thrive. There needs to be engagement, as opposed to polarity.

Am I on track?

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

From Wright:

and both are well capable of being deconstructed within postmodernity (thank goodness)

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Well, in his classic little work Fundamentalism and the Word of God, theologian and biblical scholar, JI Packer says that the term was coined after the 1st WW and attached to a group of protestant evangelicals who banded together to defend the faith against liberals.

2. In his book Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church, DA Carson says,

"Fundamentalism, in both its best and worst forms, was a response to the kind of unbelief that denied the deity of Christ, the virgin birth, and so on. (p. 160).

3. Correct. Remember Postmodernism challenges the idea of absolutes and so on.

"There needs to be engagement, as opposed to polarity." Well put. :thumbs:

4. That's what guys like Brian McLaren are trying to do. I read his book The Church on the Otherside. It's basically how to do church in a postmodern world.

Good ideas, but we differ theologically and how we should do church in the postmodern world.

***Edited

#44 TCGreek, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Brian McLaren denies a literal hell he is outside of Christianity.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well, Mclaren is another animal. He's the postmodern poster child.

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was actually referring to your cut and paste from his beliefs on Biblical authority.