1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured An Experience With Tongues

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rodneyo777, Jun 15, 2015.

1. rodneyo777

rodneyo777 Member

It's Paul's question not mine, and I would suggest we all look at ourselves, including me.

My honest response to his attack, which you must think legitimate, based upon your response, is the best thing you could do for someone who names the name of Christ.

Possibly you think if I'm in error, you should not point it out with brotherly love.

What if Matt is lacking, should he not look into his own heart and seek God.

Maybe people are much more comfortable attacking than they are at subjecting themselves to God's Spirit as we are directed in Colossians 3.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

In this post you have questioned Matt's salvation which is against the rules. You seem doubtful that he is saved.
    In another post you resent his motives.
    Now the question becomes one of your own integrity:

What is your motive for being here?

3. rodneyo777

rodneyo777 Member

Brothers. I am sorry I broke your rules. I didn't mean to, so I apologize to you, and to Matt.

I really have no idea if he is in Christ or not, nor does he know the same of me.

That really wasn't my goal, but we should be brothers and act like brothers, and motive is a very important issue with people, because that gets to the heart of the matter. God always sees the heart.

When it comes to my motive, I have 3...

1). For this forum: I was hoping that I could bounce some things off you brothers and get some friendly opinions, since you folks are very knowledgeable about the scriptures and I am not. Most importantly I am not a teacher, and yet believe God has shared His heart with me. So to safe guard myself, from teaching or sharing something false I hope to hear others give not a snide remark, but to really share the wealth of their knowledge, being that they have had opportunities to learn, that I have never had, and probably never will have.

2). This one is a little closer to the heart and more personal. I know that in every church, in every denomination, and even in the highways and byways of life, there are people who are truly the ecklesia, and they are hearing the same things, as God reveals truth to them. They may not be communicating it, but they are nevertheless listening, watching, and waiting to find that place, that group, of which they belong. I want to share my heart with those people.

3). For those who don't know Christ yet, I always desire to share what God has done, and is doing for me, and in my life. Possibly they will ask God to work in their lives to, thru what I share. Many groups of people will not identify with doctrine, and some will. To some it's a testimony that appeals to them. I hope to share with both.

4. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually had that happen to me on a religious forum, unbelievers accused me of plagiarism for quoting my own gospel tract from another website..

5. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am skeptical that your experience was from God for the following reasons:

http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/tongues_were_a_sign.html

particularly this part:

"“For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: YET THEY WOULD NOT HEAR. But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; THAT THEY MIGHT GO, AND FALL BACKWARD, AND BE BROKEN, AND SNARED, AND TAKEN” (Isaiah 28:11-13).

Isaiah not only prophesied that God would give the sign of tongues to Israel but he also prophesied that Israel would reject it and be judged, which is exactly what happened.

In 1 Corinthians 13 Paul taught the church at Corinth that the gift of tongues would cease:

“Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away” (1 Cor. 13:8-10).

This passage is talking about the revelatory gifts of prophecy, tongues, and knowledge. It is not knowledge itself that will cease; it is the gift of knowledge. It is not tongues that will cease; it is the gift of tongues.

When will these gifts cease? The passage indicates that they will cease in two stages. The gift of tongues is treated separately from the gifts of prophecy and knowledge. The gift of tongues is mentioned in verse 8 and then is not mentioned again, whereas the gifts of prophecy and knowledge are mentioned again in verses 9-10. I believe that this teaches that the gift of tongues would cease of its own accord prior to the cessation of the other two gifts. We can see this in the book of Acts. The final time that we see tongues speaking is in Acts 19. By that point in church history there was no question that God was calling the Gentiles by the gospel. That matter had been made crystal clear.

Once a sign has been fulfilled it is foolish to continue with it. If I were to tell someone who is meeting me at the airport that he will know me because I will be wearing a red hat, the red hat is the sign. Once we meet and he recognizes me by the sign of the hat the need for the sign has ceased. If I were to continue to wear a red hat for the rest of my life, that would be foolish.

Thus the gift of tongues ceased even before the events recorded in the book of Acts concluded, but the gifts of prophecy and knowledge continued to operate until “that which is perfect is come,” which was the completed canon of Scripture. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says the Scripture is able to make the man of God “perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” The gifts of prophecy and knowledge were used by the prophets and apostles for the completion of Scripture and then they vanished away. The final book of Scripture to be written was Revelation. John wrote it in his extreme old age in about A.D. 96 on the Isle of Patmos, and it concluded with a solemn divine warning not to add to or to take away from “the words of the prophecy of this book” (Rev. 22:18-19). This applies not only to the book of Revelation itself but also to the entire Book of which Revelation forms the final chapter."

6. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

I take it that rodneyo was praying in tongues by himself, and was overheard. Two distinct operations of tongues with two distinct purposes is what was described. Praying in the Spirit turned into a witness with interpretation. Both meet the description Paul gives and provided edification.