1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An honest look at "free-will" #1: Gen.3:4-6

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by canadyjd, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I purpose to thouroughly debate one passage of scripture at a time, to this end. What does the passage say to us about the notion of "free-will" in men? Let's begin with Genesis 3:4-6

"And the serpent said to the woman, 'You surely shall not die! (5) For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil' (6)When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desireable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate."

Is it not clear that the deception/lie of Satan here was that mankind would be capable of using their own human will or "free-will" to make choices of good and evil, just like God does? That must mean they would always be able to choose the good over the evil, just like God does?

Doesn't that make the concept of "free-will" choices in men (always choosing the good instead of evil) a deception from Satan; according to this passage?

peace to you:praying:

2. Arminius

Arminius New Member

No. I have many commentaries from all sides and have yet to see your "points" in their exegesis. What it does show is that Eve was able to disobey a direct command from God under the most favorable of circumstances. It actually argues against OSAS, for Eve had no sin nature, yet she and Adam sinned and died that day--spiritually. There is no help for a Calvinist here, but the exact opposite! Adam and Eve acted apart from the stated will of their Creator in Paradise, without a sin nature driving them! Calvinists are so comical. Talk about striking out! Keep posting passages, it gets worse for Calvinism the further into THE BOOK we go.

3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, I want to take an honest look at the passages. You did not do that. You simply stated you haven't seen anyone else exegete the passages that way, make a comment about eternal security (not the question) and then attack Calvinists. :sleep:

If that's how you want to respond, please don't respond. I want to take an honest look at scripture, not be bored to death.

4. Arminius

Arminius New Member

You asked questions from a Calvinistic presupposition. Do you not think we don't see that? There is nothing in that passage that supports Calvinism, and plenty that goes against it, as I pointed out. And there really isn't that much to discuss, as it is plain and straighforward. Adam and Eve disobeyed God in paradise with no sin-nature to blame. It is clear then, that mankind was in fact created with the ability to choose to obey God or the Devil, and when our first parents obeyed Satan, our Lord did not destroy them, but reconciled Himself to them, and revealed the plan for the coming Redeemer-Gen 3:15.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    IF the truth is mankind did NOT have the freedom of Free Will to openly rebel against God if they so chose -- since God CREATED mankind sinless THEN we would have the Calvinist Bible saying...

"And the Serpent came to Eve saying you can not choose anything BUT obedience to your creator since you were made by HIM without Free will".

On the other hand - if we have the Calvinist argument that God was making Eve Sin -- then the serpent would say "Eve it matters not what you want or how much you claim to know what God told you not to do - you are going to sin anyway for God is on my side this day CAUSING you to sin. you have no choice".

But in fact NEITHER Calvinist scenario is true - so what we have is an ARMINIAN scenario where the free will being is being ARGUED into taking an action that they KNOW to be wrong and are at first Rejecting.

It is compelling argument ALONE - debate and emperical data given as EVIDENCE that is convincing Eve to CHOOSE.

That is pure arminianism.

In Christ,

Bob

6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't presume to put me in a box, sir.

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist

11. beloved57

beloved57 Member

I disagree, if adam adam and eve where sinless, how did they bring forth the fruit of sin ? The bible teaches against that !

Matt 7

18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

The scripture says they were good, yeah very good, but no where does it say sinless !

12. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

First of all, I take very little of Genesis literally, and the same for the story of Adam and Eve. But, here's my view in a concise form.

God put Adam and Eve in the garden with this huge tree in the center of it. So, this tree is here and you can't ignore it. Likewise, God put the tree there for Adam and Eve to eat off it. It's the same with a child. You tell a 2-year-old not to touch something, they're going to touch it out of curiosity.

But again, I'm a staunch supporter of evolution, and I feel sure "Adam and Eve" is merely a metaphor of sorts.

13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not addressing the points and are arguing things way off topic. I am not asking you about your views on evolution. There is another thread for that.

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You wouldn't address my points on this in the other thread, why are you bringing it up here? Please go away.

15. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

There isn't a thread open about evolution that I've seen, but besides that. My point Canady is that the story of Adam and Eve is NOT REAL.

16. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you won't waste your time posting in a thread that is of no interest to you, right?

17. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

No, I'd like for you to explain why you take it literally.

18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should open a new thread; "why do you believe Genesis, literally", or some such thing. I promise to come and post:type:

19. Rew_10

Rew_10 New Member

Sounds like a plan:thumbs:

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is the "Details" of the Genesis account that are denied by atheist evolutionists and are embraced in God's Ten Commandments as well as in the Gospel and also in the Psalms.

The details of creating directly by speaking "God spoke and it WAS".

The details of 7 actual days "For in SIX days the Lord... and RESTED the Seventh day... therefore SIX days YOU are to Labor and do all your work but THE Seventh day IS the Sabbath"... Exodus 20:8-11

The Details of "God creating them male and female" from the very beginning.

the DETAIL that Eve was first deceived and then Adam

The DETAIL that from ONE man and the sin of ONE man cam ALL condemnation on all humanity.

The very details themselves are what we find affirmed in the rest of scripture -

Hence - we "believe" that the "ACCOUNT" Gen2:4 is a trustworthy "account".

If you want to debate that point - then it would be good to start that as it's own thread. For the C/A purspose of this thread we pretty much have to all agree to trust in the reliability of the DETAILS of the "account" given in Genesis as the starting point.

In Christ,

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.