1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An honest question about tradition

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by NateT, Aug 26, 2003.

1. MikeS

MikeS New Member

It sounds as though to have confidence in one's faith one must then be a Greek and Hebrew scholar. That's asking a lot! Or one must believe other scholars, but then there's that problem that other people, even scholars, are teaching multiple "truths."

Of course, one logical solution would be a supernatural organism established by Christ Himself which alone teaches the truth without error.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What I am interested in, is what is "tradition" in the catholic church? Is it only the tradition of the apostles? Or is it broader, is it the tradition of the Catholic Church since its inception?

Practices, doctrines and teachings that have "evolved over the centuries" into the errors we see today. Much like we find of the One True Hebrew Nation CHURCH traditions in Mark 7.

As Christ says of the ONE TRUE CHURCH of His day "In vain do they worship Me teaching for Doctrine the commandments of MEN". Mark 7.

In Christ,

Bob

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Mike S,

You said, 'It sounds as though to have confidence in one's faith one must then be a Greek and Hebrew scholar. That's asking a lot!

Ray is saying, 'Mike, those are two great thoughts and sentences that you wrote above. When you and my eternal salvation is a stake, it's not too great an undertaking. We can always get a Greek Commentary as to what the scholar states and check it against someone who knows how to review the Greek. I'm not saying that Greek scholars twist the Greek, but rather sometimes when they find something that disagrees with their pet doctrines, they try to wiggle their way around the exacting Greek words of truth. Scholars jot down exactly what the Greek says. It is our concern to put the whole context of the Scripture together.

We trust the Holy Spirit to teach us correctly, comparing Scripture with Scripture, by looking up the word pictures of each phrase, and by checking out the grammar involved. Also, we can check against what other theologians say about the same given text. By doing this we begin to understand what Jesus meant when He said, 'He will teach us 'all' truth.' [John 14:27]

Another great principle that you probably know is that God forbids us to receive another other alleged truth that cannot be found in His Word of truth. Just before God's benediction on us as spoken through the words of the Apostle John, Jesus said, that we cannot add to or detract from the Words of God. [Revelation 22:18-19]

4. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Bob Ryan,

I read Mark chapter seven and your point is well taken. I think if we are not careful we can so involved with our local church traditions that we forget what this is all about, namely, loving Jesus and telling other people about how He has changed our lives because He died for us on the Cross.

Rules tie us to church laws and manuals, but knowing His love keeps our minds and hearts in the mode of thankfulness for so great salvation.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good point Ray.

As Christ says in Mark 7 "neglecting the commandments of God you hold to the traditions of men" and then He gives the example of gifts to the church. Making out your will and giving your possessions to the church.

Obviously the church leaders of the ONE TRUE CHURCH started by God at Sinai - did not "think" that such a tradition was opposed to God's Word.

Christ did not say "you THINK your laws and traditions are opposed to God's Word". He said that "THEY ARE" whether you think so or not.

And as you point out - the human tendancy is to look to one's own traditions and faith sytem - and peers - to determine "proof" of doctrinal correctness.

Christ showed that EVEN in the case of the ONE TRUE CHURCH started by God at Sinai - you could not do that. You could not simply put your brain on the shelf and hope the leaders knew what they were doing.

Christ points out that you must go directly to God's Word and NOTHING should be accepted "from man" that contradicts it - numerous rationalizings of "very important" religious leaders not withstanding.

In Christ,

Bob

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's because their security was in the denomination, not God.

Context is everything.

I have seen too many who deal with the words much like trying to get a definition of butterfly by defining butter and fly. The definition of butterfly is not the composite of the definition of butter and fly.

I have found that a numbert of good lexicons that deal with the way words are used outside of the NT are very valuable. I like to try and use a number of lexicons that span a time that covers many different usages.