1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An observation and a suggestion

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by ScottEmerson, Jun 16, 2003.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Bill... You continue to push our buttons and there comes a time when enough is enough. You want to discuss doctrine then by all means discuss doctrine. This is no place to vent your displeasure with the moderators this is a C/A Debate Forum and there comes a time when you need to back off and think.

You got a problem take it up with the webmaster as I told you we work for him. We do nothing without his say so and the brethren adminstrators who are under him... We are under them. I for one do not like your attitude... This is not the Brother Bill Board... This is the Baptist Board... This is not the Pastor Larry or Brother Glen Board either and we all have to pay attention to the rules... Especially moderators!

I for one think you need to get away from here for awhile and cool down and ponder the reason you are here in the first place. Are we not all brethren in the Lord?... This is not just for you it is for others who think this is some kind of christian playground... WWJD in a situation such as yours?... I may disagree with another brother or sister on here but I guarantee you I will show them some christian civility and brotherhood. If I don't and feel I've said something amiss I will apologize... I've done it before and I will do it again!... I represent my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ... I'm Glen to my friends... I'm Brother Glen to my church friends and those on the Baptist Board.

Brother Bill the Brother next to your name is not just hung on there for no reason at all... It stands for something... The same as Pastor Larry's
    name the Pastor stands for something. I think you need time to ponder exactly what significance Brother means next to your name... It really hurts me to say so but for the good of the C/A Debate Forum I see no other way... DO YOU?... I request a ten day suspension as I see no other way... Brother Glen [​IMG]

2. William C

William C New Member

1. I'm not the one who started this thread.
    2. I'm not the moderator who responded in this thread by attacking my actions.
    3. Do I not have the right to respond to a moderators direct accusation?
    4. It takes two to tango. I'm only responding to how I have been treated on this board.

I have now sent him 3 different notes and have not heard a response yet. I'm sure he is a busy man and I will patiently await his response. Until then I will defend myself when attacked.

I'm truly sorry if you think my attitude is wrong. I, however, don't think that I have acted out of line. I don't think this is my board, but I enjoy fair and honest debate and if I feel someone has violated that I will say so.

Larry rebuked ITNAC for his ignorance and misrepresentation of Calvinism and he was acting as a moderator when he did so. My question is simply this; who rebukes the Calvinists when they ignorantly misrepresent our views?

I'm not hot. I'm not upset at all. I'm sorry if my post sound as if I am. I'm very calm and I am looking at this situation very objectively. Larry made a mistake and I called him on it. He got upset and deleted me with a rebuke. I responded. That is it.

Please don't go there. I'm a brother, just like you. I have said nothing that contradicts our beliefs as brethern. Sometimes brothers disagree just like Paul and Silas. Larry and I disagreed. The difference is that Larry is a moderator and can delete me when he doesn't like what I have said. I'm simply questioning his authority to do so. I'm not trying to question Larry's salvation or even his spirituality. In fact, I don't doubt that Larry is a fine Pastor and an honorable Christian. I'm only questioning his bias as a moderator, so please refrain from trying to paint me as an unspiritual person because I happen to disagree with your fellow Calvinistic moderator. Thank you.

Really? Can you please show me what I have done that others have not also done in this thread? That is all I ask. If I have truly stepped over the line and the webmaster feels that I need a suspension, I will submit. I only ask to be heard and represented fairly. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Thank you for your time. And I pray that God blesses you this wonderful day. [​IMG]

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answered privately to avoid re-airing dirty laundry.

Yes I read it several times. I have no idea what might or might not have been done privately between the two but I do not disagree with Pastor Larry's evaluation of ITNAC's comments. That said, I have also interacted with this same person in the versions forum and recognize a pattern.

I also do not believe that the manner of his treatment was wrong... especially if he was given a private warning first. PL's comments became stronger as ITNAC persisted in his behavior.
    Can you link us to Ken's comments that you found offensive? Was there more than one offensive post? If not, maybe PL warned him before he went too far.

Not in my opinion and I doubt that PL is of that opinion either. As best as I remember, ITNAC didn't spend a whole lot of time developing or explaining his position. His thrust was to condemn the Calvinist position. His posts demonstrated that he did not understand the Calvinist perspective and while casting a number of stones he didn't seem to have substance to back up his charges.
    In an honest debate, there is room to misrepresent the other side's views by mistake on occasion. There is more than enough room to not see the quality of the other side's arguments. There is no room to habitually misrepresent the other side's view purposefully in order to weaken it even after being corrected.

You are more than welcome.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Larry encouraged ITNAC to learn about what his opponents believe so that he can accurately represent them. The general rule of thumb is this: Say only about your opponents what they would say about themselves.

You correct them just fine. As moderator I do not edit those comments that are misrepresentations. I do not believe I ever have. I encourage a different approach to facilitate the debate.

You are not objective in this matter Bill. You responded to what you felt was a personal slight. Secondly, you have not yet shown that I made a mistake. As I told you, I made a judgment call based on the info that was in front of me. That is all one can do. Second, I was not upset with you. You broke the rules by 1) making a direct personal attack and 2) publicly questioning the moderating. There is a proper channel of questioning that you should have used. Thirdly, you did not just "respond." You responded multiple times, re-editing the changes I had made, continuing to post on the topic in more than one thread, and continuing a series of PMs over the last day which I have dutifully answered at a great expense of my time. In other words, you did not just respond and that was it. You kept on and on, refusing to drop it and move on.

This should have been over yesterday morning at 10:00. Let's end it now, gentlemen (and ladies if you are here).

5. William C

William C New Member

That is just it! Where is the Arminian moderator to tell Calvinistic new comers that they are not accurately representing Arminians?

I can't correct them by saying, "As a moderator..." like you do. And who is going to "encourage a different approach to facilitate the debate" when a Calvinists makes uninformed accusations about Arminians?

I believe that is a reasonable question. Don't you?

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I have answered that. You cannot say "as a moderator" but you can say, "As a fellow poster." That will carry much weight, especially if you lead by example. My encouraging people ot learn and represent their opponents right doesn't carry a lot of weight. That should be obvious from the threads here that are full of it. But if we all insist on it, and if we all use the dictum to say only about your opponent what he would say about himself, then things will be better.

I will close this thread this evening. Enough has been said about this issue. Let's put it to bed.

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What it all boils down to is this... The administrators will look at and weigh the comments from the various parties... Who ever is guilty will be told so be they poster or moderator as none are above the rules... Moderators have rules too and we police our own even when you don't think we do!... The administrators will make the final decision via the webmasters rules for the BB... And their decision is final... This is a Christian Baptist Board... With the emphasis on Christianity... May we all learn how to behave ourselves especially on this forum... That being said... This discussion is now closed there is nothing more to say... And any thread that tries to restart this debate will be deleted and the poster dealt with!... Brother Glen Moderator Of The C/A Debate Forum

[ June 17, 2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]