1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anaheim Angels continually underestiamed?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Johnv, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't know why, but it seems to me that the Anaheim Angels have been continually underestimated. No one seriously thought they stood a chance of winning the 2002 World Series. The idea that they could possibly win the 2004 AL West title was laughable to many. It currently seems that this same mentality still exists, as I hear comment after comment on sports talk shows dismissing any possibility that the Angels might have a change of winning the AL West title this year. This despite the fact that they've got a .570 (5th highest team in MLB) average, and are 2 games ahead of Oakland in their division.

Is it because they're a smallball team, not known for tond of home runs? Is it because, when compared to teams like the A's and Yankees, they're seen as simple underdogs? Is it perhaps because they don't have any players with drug abuse, legal, or wifebeating problems that are so regular in the news?

I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

2. OCC

OCC Guest

It's probably the fact that they are out west...they don't get the media attention that the eastern teams do. Or it could just be because they don't even know what city they are in. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?

They are a very good team though...saw them beat my Tigers here back in May.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Is baseball still going on.... [​IMG]

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

One would think so, but media attention is given to the Dodgers, A's, and Giants frequently. They're all in the same regions timewise.

Amusingly, while I dislike the recent name change, and while it's likely that the name change will be tossed after a court hearing this November, the name change brought more, not less, attention to Anaheim.

5. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Sometimes when you fly under the radar you can sneak up on opponents. I believe they'll make AL finals.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there a "liberal bias" in sports writers, too? A lot of the small town and conservative town teams seem to get less press.

But they also have less people. Los Angeles county is 10 million and Orange is 3 million.

And won't even compare Kansas City with New York City!!