1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ananais and Sapphira...lost?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Oct 23, 2006.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Which promise? The promise that if we keep His commandments, we'll be raised up on the last day? Oh wait, thats not a promise He made. Is it?

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

That's the simplicity that is in Christ??? It's a far cry from
    Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

3. Blammo

Blammo New Member

This is a very well worded post by a calvinist who has been educated to the point of confusion.

This type of discussion is most interesting to me, but, unless someone can present a clear, understandable, scriptural case for SOMETHING, I will stick with this:

1 Corinthians 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Brother Bob, I never said anything about you misquoting anything, I don't think. Let me check! Nope, it's not there. In fact, I did not recently say anything about anyone misquoting anything, as far as I can tell.
    And I could not have "misquoted yourself", for as far as I can tell, I made no quotes, other than the 'made up phrase' about "helpin' God out". I did cite some "quotes" I've heard over the years, that I referred to as "'religious speak'". Perhaps I did use, in a less than clear way, a collective "WE" (for the church, as a whole) near the beginning of the post. If that confused you ar anyone else, I apologize.

So, if you please, would you explain to me how I could have possibly misquoted myself? :confused: And I'm not trying to play 'dense' as another recently accused me of. Obviously, if I am, in fact, 'dense', it ain't 'cause I'm playing at it.
    As to your reference to Acts 11:48, I said something about the 'difference' between "grant" and "give" in post #273, the one just above your response. That might help explain what I was trying to get across.

Finally, I do not hesitate to call someone's hand when using 'church speak' or 'religious speak'. For I see less than no need to 'help God out' in His terminology, and wording. And I do call someone's hand on it. For example, when someone uses another oft repeated phrase of "really and truly saved", or "genuinely saved", I' will always ask if that is somehow different from "saved". One of those three word or words in quotation marks is found in Scripture; two are not. Wanna' guess which two aren't found there? How about another example or two? "Really and truly believe"; "genuinely believe"; "believe"; "believe not"- four phrases. Guess which two are never found in Scripture?

Ed

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No Ed; I think you had a typo or something in one of your posts. I only ask because you used my return posts in one of your to make a statement about misquotes and I don't care just wanted to know what I had misquoted.
    It is all just a misunderstanding, forgive?

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

If you request, I will 'forgive', even though there is really nothing to forgive.

And I wasn't 'resenting' anything you or anyone else may have said, save the use of 'church speak' by any and all. I do wish that stuff would go the way of Paul's epistle to the Laodecians, and be forever lost! I did have a typo in a post that I replied to Tom Butler, I think it was, on and did later correct it, when it was pointed out.

Ed

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Getting back to the original poster's question, it seems that by and large, the 'grace crowd' sees Ananias and Saphirra as saved individuals who lost their reward and/or were taken home by God for this; while the "Lordship salvation" group, the "Calvinist" gang, and the "Arminian" bunch all see them as either never saved, or they lost it somewhere along the line.
    For about the umpteenth time, there is no real difference in these last three positions. For the last three all have an effective modus operandi of 'saved and yet unsure'. :rolleyes:

Ed

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I don't understand why the C and A guys get into such heated arguments over whether you lost your salvation or you never had it to begin with.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well the A guys would like to feel that if they never had it then they would still have a chance to be saved. Where if they had tasted of the good fruits of the Lord and then were to fall there would be no other sacrifice made for them. So we like to say or hope they never had it to start with. I let the C answer for themselves.
    (disclaimer) I am speaking for myself and not all A's!!!!!

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Man, I can't even tell the difference anymore. I took you for a C! :laugh:

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No Way!!!!!!!!!! :)

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

All right, I have to tear myself away from the computer. Friday night we go street preaching in Ft Worth, or as some like to call it, yelling at sinners. God bless you guys, have a good weekend.

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Maybe I had you mixed up with BP\T for a minute, I would have figured it out eventually.

14. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I am a "C"
    I am a "C-H"
    I am a "C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N" . . . .

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Hey buddy, let me be the first to congrats on the 5K post club... :thumbsup:

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thanks, I feel sick :laugh: :laugh: :BangHead:

Hey, I hit the 5000 club.

#296 Brother Bob, Oct 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2006
  17. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

This is not a C&A issue, as much as this is a Lordship and Sufficiency of Christ issue. As much as I may believe in the doctrines of grace, I do not think it is fair that some of you here would try and dismiss my thoughts as merely Calvinistic. I am pretty sure there are some Arminians on here, look no further than Bro. Bob, who think very highly of the Lordship and Sufficiency of Christ.

My thoughts are based on a three fold structure.

God's unconditional act of redemption to establish the covenant relationship (the indicative provisions and promises of the covenant, given as an act of grace in the past)

which leads to

the covenantal stipulations or 'conditions' upon which the covenant relationship is maintained (the imperatives of the covenant to be kept in the present)

which leads to

the fulfillment of the covenant promises of the covenant (the consummation of the covenant promises or curses, to be imparted in the future)

God judges according to our works because the expression of our having been forgiven, justified, and sealed in the Spirit is the growing life of the obedience of faith that flows from the presence and power of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Our obedience demonstrates publicly the validity of God's justifying act and saving actions on our behalf. All this is from God. The fruit in our lives is the fruit of the Spirit.

18. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Our obedience only demonstrates that we are obedient.

Why do ya'll go mystical on obedience. God's for us, while we were yet sinners, is all the validity God's "justifying act" needs.

lacy

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If it were not for the obedience of one man we would all still be lost.

Rom 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

1Pe 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

1Sa 15:22 And Samuel said, Hath the LORD [as great] delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey [is] better than sacrifice, [and] to hearken than the fat of rams.