1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ancient Celtic Christians--Baptist Cousins?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael Wrenn, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Leslie Hardinge, in his book "The Celtic Church in Britain", says that the early Celtic Christians practiced believer's baptism by immersion and blessing of children. They were also similar in other ways to Baptists/Anabaptists. They did believe in apostolic succession, but there is, after all, a successionist theory among Baptists, too, although not defined in quite the same way.

Here is the website of a church that is seeking to be a reorganization of the ancient Celtic Church and its distinctive doctrines and practices--before it became the victim of Roman Catholicism: http://www.celticsynod.org

I posted this here because I'd like to know what Baptists think of this. Would you consider the ancient Celtic Church to be a cousin to the Baptists, spiritually kin--perhaps even Baptists with another name, and with apostolic succession? [​IMG]

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Any opinions on this?

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very interesting Web site. Still, I'm not sure what the factual basis behind this is. I've run across other sites that stress the bifurcation between Celtic and Roman Christianity, but I can't say I've been convinced. Looks like Irish Landmarkism to me, at least without further research.

4. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Michael

Some Primitive Baptists believe our succession comes through these Celtic churches in Wales and the Welsh Marches of Western England.

I, however, am not convinced of the scholarship of such a notion, and won't denigrate or support it.

Jeff.

5. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Michael,

I would say they were spiritual cousins to Baptist (similar to the Waldenses, Anabaptists) though I believe they did hold to a Episcopal style of government I believe. It is worth studying and very interesting.

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Kiffin,

I concur--with both of your statements.