1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

And NOW for something completely ludicrous...

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Copper, May 27, 2005.

1. Copper

Copper Guest

Zondervan is at it again. These are the first 19 verses of Genesis from the "the word on the street." I think there is something exceptionally spiritual about that "WHAP." http://www.zondervanchurchsource.com/product.asp?ISBN=0310922674

Genesis / Stuff Starts Up

Something out of nothing (Genesis 1:1–2:3)

1–2 First off, nothing . . . but God. No light, no time, no substance, no matter. Second off, God says the word and WHAP! Stuff everywhere! The cosmos in chaos: no shape, no form, no function – just darkness . . . total. And floating above it all, God’s Holy Spirit, ready to play.

3–5 Day one: Then God’s voice booms out, “Lights!” and, from nowhere, light floods the skies and “night” is swept off the scene. God gives it the big thumbs up, calls it “day”.

6–8 Day two: God says, “I want a dome – call it ‘sky’ – right there between the waters above and below.” And it happens.

9–13 Day three: God says, “Too much water! We need something to walk on, a huge lump of it – call it ‘land’. Let the ‘sea’ lick its edges.” God smiles, says, “Now we’ve got us some definition. But it’s too plain! It needs colour! Vegetation! Loads of it. A million shades. Now!” And the earth goes wild with trees, bushes, plants, flowers and fungi. “Now give it a growth permit.” Seeds appear in every one. “Yesss!” says God.

14–19 Day four: “We need a schedule: let’s have a ‘sun’ for the day, a ‘moon’ for the night" I want ‘seasons’, ‘years’" and give us ‘stars’, masses of stars – think of a number, add a trillion, then times it by the number of trees and we’re getting there: we’re talking huge!” ...

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I kinda like it, from what I read on the site — if you acknowledge what the Christian Booksellers Convention said: "Purist alert: This is not THE Bible (capital B) … but it might just get you reaching for one."

But can't the Brits learn how to spell? But I won't let that unnecessarily colour my opinion ...

3. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

It seems to give the wrong image of God.

Let me re-word that: it seems to make God look different than I've come to consider him from reading THE Bible.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Boy, I have issues with this, especially the line above! "Ready to play?" It reminds me of some of the Eastern religions where they talk about playful gods and spirits:
    I was always hearing about the "playfulness" of the gods in Hinduism and Buddhism, such as Krishna playing with the milk maidens. It's a big theme. This statement about the HS "floating" and being ready to "play" is inaccurate, unscriptural and irreverent.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

"Too plain"! :eek: This is putting words in God's mouth, to say the least of what is wrong with it. When God made something it was "good," not too plain, according to His own word. This is almost a contradiction.

6. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Gotta rush right out and buy a copy...NOT! This is one "Bible version" that will never take up space on my bookshelf. Apparently there is no respect shown for God...What a waste!

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe anyone who can read & comprehend that "street version" could easily read & comprehend a REAL Bible.

I have an old book called "Hurlbut's Bible Stories", which narrates Biblical events in the form of short stories. it has a disclaimer in the front in which the author reminds us that this book is NOT a substitute for the Bible itself.

And one region's "street talk" is not another region's street talk. And during my police years, I found that street talkers almost always understand every word you say in proper English.

Seems this version is not a valid Bible at all.

8. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Hello to all,
    This is my first reply on the baptist board. I'm a baptist missionary raising support to go to Spain. This Word on the Street "Bible" is garbage.
    It really doesn't deserve comment. But, since I'm sending one this is it. The Genesis text that was referenced sounds like God is somekind of "Dude" who is made to sound like He is saying "Yo dude look what I did, check it out"! The phrase "too much water" makes it sound like God was going through some kind of trial and error sort of thing. I could take issue with Zondervan on alot of issues. One would be the fact they copyright the NIV. With big Z its all about the benjamins!
    Also, passing off paraphrases as translations is just outright dishonest in my opinion. Rick Warren in his book PDL says he likes to use several translations to give "fresh life" or something like that to passages of Scripture. Whatever. I just think he ought to make a distinction between paraphrases and translations.
    Joe on the street who has never picked up a Bible but has picked up the PDL might think the Message or Living Bible is God's word because Rick has declared it a translation in his book. Well, I'm rambling now. I will stop. This is my first post on any kind of message board. I've enjoyed the topics and comments that I have read so far on the site.