1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Andersonville Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by jtown5, May 19, 2006.

1. jtown5

jtown5 New Member

:confused: :confused: I am an Andersonville student. I have heard everything one might think of about my school. I boast in the fact that the Lord led me to this school. Although you may not be partial to the school as far as its rigor have you ever stopped to thank God that there is a school out here that is building confidence in ministers that may not have ever believed they could earn any degree. This degree means alot to my family and to me. I don't want to offend anyone. However I do know that Andersonville has been a blessing to me and has inspired me to perform to the best of my ability in Christ. God bless brethren, and let us be mindful of the different tools God uses to equip his man and consider Andersonville's ministry to preachers/Pastors across this nation.

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

With all due respect, how do you know God led you to Anderson? With all the legitimate, rigorous higher education institutions in the country, I see no need for someone to go to Andersonville other than to gain a diploma with less-demanding study. It may increase one's self-esteem, but is self-esteem what theological education is for?

I intend no ill will and honor your desire for theological training. I am simply trying to be honest. To me, gaining a degree from Andersonville is like showing off cubic zirconia in the place of a real diamond.

Blessings,
    Bill

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    jtown5:

==In general I am not a fan of Andersonville. The reason is that there are so many distance programs out there today there is no reason for Christians to attend schools that "may" limit their future educational/career options. However if you believe the Lord has lead you to Andersonville, for whatever purpose, then you should obey the Lord. However I would ask why you have not considered an accredited program of study? Luther Rice? Southern Evangelical? Liberty? Etc??

==I am sure it does. However in the world of education "confidence" and personal meaning don't go far. People need degrees that can transfer to other schools and that allows them to go on to the next degree level (MA to PhD). Unaccredited degrees, Christian or not, can't provide that. No matter how good their programs are.

==Let's not push aside the "real" concern many (myself included) have about unaccredited distance learning.

Martin.

4. jtown5

jtown5 New Member

I believe that God works in stages. I believe that God also knows why he has variance. I would agree brethren, whole heartedly that a degree from Andersonville could not hold its own amongst the more prominent seminaries. I agree also that it is possibly less demanding. I think that if a mans motive is only to find someone to validate him with a degree and he wants to use that to compare himself to someone else, that is foolish and sinful and not God led. I, however, attended Andersonville already validated by God Himself who has counted me faithful placing me into the ministry. I attended not to hold a light to Andersonville degrees and feel like it is as tried as Moody, Dallas Baptist, Liberty, etc... In reality an Andersonville degree to some is like having a certificate for a year long workshop. However, when attended with these understandings one will not boast in the degree or the school only in the fact that God is building that individual to their full potential. I would have never found the Baptist Board if it were not for my research of Andersonville. Now I have a place where I can go and find safety through the multitude of counsel available here. I am encouraged and inspired to take my studies to the next level and begin studies at an accredited seminary with the basics I recieved from andersonville as my base. God Bless you Brethren for your honesty and for taking time out to reply

5. Broadus

Broadus Member

jtown,

I wish you well with your studies. What is your level of study at Andersonville? Do you already have a bachelor's degree? The reason I ask is that I am concerned that if you are pursuing a bachelor's degree at Andersonville you will have a difficult, if not impossible, time finding an accredited seminary which will accept the Andersonville undergrad degree.

I appreciate your spirit. Please let me emphasize that no one wishes you ill for studying through Andersonville. We would, though, like to save you time and money.

Blessings,
    Bill

6. jtown5

jtown5 New Member

Thank you, I am doing the undergrad degree. I only have five courses left. I would be excited to know of any school who would accept the courses. However, I am willing to begin again.
    God Bless

7. Broadus

Broadus Member

FWIW, I did an MDiv which, when I completed it, considered it to be weak and failed to equip me academically to be the minister I believed God would have me be. So, I did a completely new MDiv at a fully-accredited seminary and have never regretted it.

May God bless your efforts and guide your steps.

Blessings,
    Bill

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    jtown5,

Sadly, you will probably have a hard time getting accredited schools to acknowledge your undergraduate work/degree from Andersonville. Not that you wasted your time, of course not. Anytime you are studying God's Word, and learning, that is time well spent. There are some good undergraduate programs that are offered online/distance learning. You can contact these schools and see if they will give you any credit for your previous education (Andersonville, anything else?)...

Libety University

Associate of Arts in Religion

Bachelor of Science in Religion

Luther Rice University

Bachelor of Arts in Religion

Moody Bible Institute

College Credit Degree Programs

Martin.

9. jtown5

jtown5 New Member

Thank you both. I am encouraged and I will definetly consider the schools suggested. Thank you also for your testimony.
    God Bless,
    Jtown5

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    jtown, I would suggest not taking the remaining five courses (to save you some money when you'll need to get an accredited bachelor's anyway).

11. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

I have an Associate of Biblical Studies from the School of Biblical and Theological Studies (unaccredited) and a Bachelor of Theology from Andersonville. I say go ahead and finish what you started and get your Bachelors degree. It will only be a waiste of time and money if you fail to follow through. However, I would also encourage you to get an accredited degree as well that may demand more of you intellectually. I went ahead, after my Bachelor of Theology with Andersonville, and got my Bachelor of Science in Religion through Liberty University's Distance Learning Program and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's demand also prepared me for the disciplines of Seminary. I'm currrenlty at the Baptist Missionary Theological Seminary in Jacksonville, Texas as an MDiv student.
    Finish the degree and honor God with the knowledge you have. But when and if you feel like your appetite has not been satisfied for study, then seek an accredited degree.

Phil310

12. Broadus

Broadus Member

Phil,

Did Liberty accept any credits from Andersonville? How did your Liberty work compare with Andersonville?

Bill

13. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

Bill,

At one point they were going to consider my undergrad with Andersonville for probational entrance into the MDiv program only. No other masters degree would have been an option. However, before the ball got rolling, I decided to go ahead and get an accredited Bachelor's degree in the event the Lord wanted me to teach in the future at an accredited institution.

I did first 48 hours of work with Jacksonville College in Jacksonville, Texas. Then transfered to Liberty and finished out my degree at Liberty. Never really got the chance to see if they would've done it.

Hope this helps. By the way...I've not regretted my work with Liberty. Learned alot and appreciated the expertise of the professors and the spiritual attitude in each lecture.

Phil310

14. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

To answer your question about how the work with Andersonville compared to Liberty. I felt that I was challenged more with Liberty than with Andersonville. I transfered most of my work in from J'ville College and SB&TS to Andersonville and only did 21 hours with them to complete my degree. So I base this on this experience.

15. Broadus

Broadus Member

Phil,
    Thanks for your input.
    Bill

16. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

17. GraceAlone

GraceAlone New Member

Being a bi-vocational pastor who already sacrifices his vacation time for church related business my time is truly at a premium. Andersonville helped me get some basics through their Theology course. After receiving my Bachelor's degree and a 2 year hiatus I applied for my master's work.
    The undergrad work may be a little light but from what I've seen of their grad-level courses they have stepped it up a HUGE notch. I'm looking forward to the challenge.
    May God bless you as you follow Him.

18. jtown5

jtown5 New Member

My plan

Thank you brethren, I am enrolling at Penn State University. I will be pursuing an Organizational Leadership degree. Andersonville courses encourage you to learn as much about human pyschology and sociology. This degree will aid in ministry and in income. I plan on going ahead and sticking with Andersonville for a Masters of Ministry and a D.M. however after this I will begin with another bachelors and so on and so forth in an accredited school. I know of a man who has three bachelor, three masters and two doctorate from accredited schools only. He is my life long study example.
    Blessings,
    Jtown5

19. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Andersonville

I did my undergraduate work at a state school in Arkansas - Bachelor of Music Ed. I began my Masters at Southeastern Seminary in Wake Forest, NC through the extension center in Augusta, GA. It closed a couple years later after I started. After finishing my M.Div. at another school, I met a pastor who got his Th.D. at Andersonville. The work seemed to be a little light, but I wanted some further theological ed. I could do at home in my own time. Andersonville had just went thorough some changes and the work load for the Th.D. increased greatly. So, I completed the Th.D. program at Andersonville.

Was it as tough as a D.Min. at Southeastern? No. Was if beneficial? You bet. Was it accredited? I really didn't care. It was good, conservative, theological education. It was just what I needed at the time. One more question: will it limit "future educational/career options"? I've always believed that God would move me where ever He wanted me - I don't believe it's a problem for Him.

#19 SBCPreacher, Jun 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2006
  20. jtown5

jtown5 New Member

Thanks SBCPREACHER

You know it is refreshing to be able to talk to others about my future. I have been in ministry for eight years now. I had a very radical conversion. I am amazed at the religious jargon that eminates out of the "Lords houses". The ministry makes the man not the man the ministry. The man makes the school, not the school the man. I believe that God raises great things from the least likely places. Can any good thing come from Nazareth? Can any good thing come from the slum? Can any fundamental teaching come from Andersonville? Can any minister learn as much are more from an unaccredited school? Can the lame walk? Can the blind, see? Can a woman touch His garment and be healed? Can men have faith in a man they have never seen and be willing to lay down their lives? Can a sinner be converted to Christ? In all these things the answer is yes. Emphatically, YES! I have committed my life to one purpose and one drive. That is top follow Christ whole heartedly. I was asked earlier "How did I know that it was God who told me to attend ATS". Well the answer is simple. When I heard His voice call me out of one lifestyle into another. When I witness acts done through myself that would for me be impossible but made possible by the faith he placed in me to follow His voice. I know His voice because I seek to know His voice. What He orders he will provide for Himself the means. I believe in the Lord of Schools the Author Himself. He is able to do miraculous things from the oddest places. I don't believe in ATS and its' qaulity. I believe in God and His ability to give me what I need for the ministry and purpose in which is placed in me. There is safety in a multitude of counsel. Sometimes I wonder if the scripture itself is enough. How many more counslers do we need.
    God bless the readers, here my heart,
    Blessings,
    Jtown5:thumbs: :Fish: :type: