1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Andy Stanley Trashes Expository Preaching; Calls it “Easy” and “Cheating”

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Revmitchell, May 11, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of that is false. All preaching styles can be that. None of them have to be. Exegesis and delivery are important components here being ignored due to people's personal bias. I use several styles frequently none of them exclusively.

People who talk like this either do not know what they are talking about or have an agenda.

#21 Revmitchell, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  2. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where people ever got the idea that expository is only verse by verse. That is false. All sermon styles can and should be done expository.

3. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was me and it was 7 years from when he started to when he finished but there were breaks in there as well. So it was not 350 weeks straight.

My husband and I have talked about this some. My previous pastor was very much a focus on the tree in the forest and our pastor now is very much a forest for the tree guy, and I think both have value. There is diving in and preaching through Ps. 23 for 6 weeks and then there is stepping back and looking at the big picture, and they both have value.

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I preach I am not leaving it to the listener "to come to his or her own conclusions". I want them to come to the biblical conclusion that I am making in my sermon. That is why preaching is so serious. The preacher is saying, "thus says the LORD!" There should be no equivocating from the pulpit. A preacher who is not well-studied, and with a firm opinion of the text, has no business preaching.

As far as expository vs. inductive; an effective sermon is both. A good preacher should be able to take one verse, or a series of verses, and preach them contextually and thematically. There is an art to preaching. The ability to proclaim truth in such a way as to convey, not only its meaning, but to motivate (through the agency of the Holy Spirit) listeners to action, is not a simple task. Some self-proclaimed prophets treat it as such, but that is the difference between those who are called to preaching ministry and those who are not.

5. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me give further clarification to what I mean by expository (deductive) and inductive sermons.

An example of an expository (deductive) sermon would be:
    Text: Proverbs 3:5
    Proposition (main idea): Believers should put there whole trust in God.
    Support (points):
    A. God knows what's best.
    B. God can't fail.
    C. There's no one better to put your trust in.

An example of an inductive sermon would be:
    Text: Gen. ch. 16 & 21
    Outline:
    A. Sarai's choice to give Haggai to Abraham showed a lack of trust in God to bless her own womb.
    B. To make matters worst, Abrams choice to cooperate showed a lack of trust in God's timing to bring forth a son from Sarai.
    C. However, God remains faithful even when we aren't.
    D. The birth of Isaac shows the trustworthiness of God's promise.
    Conclusion (proposition): So we should place all of our trust in God.

Rough example of course :D but I hope this clarifies the difference.

Both have a main idea (proposition). An expository sermon begins with the main idea and the points come out of the main idea. In an inductive sermon, the points lead to the main idea. Both are effective and can making preaching week by week even fresher.

For a more in depth explanation check out Haddon Robinson's "Biblical Preaching".

#25 robustheologian, May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just want to say something to the example of gossip not being addressed if you are preaching through a book.

Is preaching the only way to address an issue? If gossip is truly an issue in the church, then I think that the overall health of the church is in question. It's not one message on gossip that will stop the gossip but a general teaching of the leadership on sin, holiness, love, etc. These are all things that should be preached on regularly. If there is one or two people dealing the gossip then it is best to address it individually. And even when we have a larger issue in the church that must be addressed from the pulpit, it is not that hard to pull back and pull out a specific topical sermon for a week and just say "This is something that I feel needs to be addressed. We will be getting back to Ecclesiastes next week." We did this numerous times and the one that stands out in my head the most is the 3 weeks after 9/11. I think we were in Romans at the time (my pastor would preach through a book over a number of years) and he specifically took those three weeks to address the idea of "bad things happening to good people."

So I definitely don't think that we can say "preaching through a book will not allow us to address the issues in the church."

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Andy Stanley is right, it is cheating. Expository preachers are relying on the work of Another instead using their own ideas.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not know what expository preaching is.

#28 Revmitchell, May 12, 2015
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you say that? You don't even know what I believe defines expository preaching. I had always believed it was explaining Scripture. Expository means to explain....to expound on a topic. Expository preaching should mean to explain the Word of God. What is your definition (if I recall we attended the same seminary....perhaps different profs had different definitions)?

#29 JonC, May 12, 2015
  10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All sermon styles explain scripture when done correctly. This idea that any sermon style out there "relying on the work of Another instead using their own ideas" is absurd and offensive if I understand your words correctly. Who is this "other" you are speaking of?

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was speaking of relying on the Word of God rather than our own ideas and agendas. This "other" that I speak of is God.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see, it would have been better to say that in the original comment.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

I did, only apparently not clearly enough. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

14. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Well stated. Any human being is going to form their own opinion of what a text means. You need only look at the raging Cal vs Arm debate or the eschatological debates to see that. But preaching should lead to the conclusion God has established, sort of like the writer in Ecclesiastes said "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter."

I've personally never considered preaching an art, but I can see where you are coming from. Like Paul's exhortation to Timothy to be instant in season and out of season, and to be ready at all times to give account for the faith. I've always been a believer in letting the Lord lead on where I should preach. Then again, I don't come out of a church that does sermon series. We do study through entire books in our Wednesday night Bible study, but that's more of a class than preaching. The Sunday morning services have never featured a series.

Around here those folks carry the label of "Mama called and Daddy sent" preachers, instead of "called of God. Some people don't understand just how difficult it can be to get up and preach. Sometimes you can stand up and fall almost immediately into God's hands. Other times it feels like you have to strive for the Spirit for a bit.

15. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is why I said:

16. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

Minor point - fact check, Northpoint Church is in Alpharetta, Georgia.

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fact check? It's the 'Pulpit and Pen' blog.

18. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

Sorry, I was referring to the OP, which refers to Andy Stanley as a "Texas Pastor", Northpoint is based in Alpharetta, Ga., I was not referring to Ed's blog. Ed is currently based in Nashville himself. We need to be careful in our assertions, it doesn't take many factual errors to hurt someone's credibility.

19. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was JD Hall's 'Pulpit & Pen' interwebsite that made the error. The OP was just quoting from that trashy outfit.

It is confusing because RevM. does not use quotation marks; he'll just copy and paste and then tack on the link at the very end.