1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Andy Stanley Trashes Expository Preaching; Calls it “Easy” and “Cheating”

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Revmitchell, May 11, 2015.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good job by Andy stirring the pot.

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

When I was in seminary I was taught by Dr. Luther Door (I am sure that I misspelled his last name) that expository preaching was the only acceptable method. In fact, he was very adamant about it. I didn't buy into it then and I don't now. With that said I have no problem with expository preaching. What I have a problem with is someone telling me how I am supposed to preach as if one method is superior to another. Personally, I prefer the eclectic method where a variety of methods are employed. More so, the best method is whatever suits a preacher's unique Holy Spirit gifting, talents, and the audience.

3. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Agreed! The way the Lord leads is the way in which a man should preach.

4. Br. Dan

Br. Dan Member

Andy's point is unfounded and is merely a baseless opinion, not constructed upon any research. A lazy preacher will be lazy no matter which style he uses. A diligent preacher will be diligent no matter which style he uses. Different situations and audiences may call for different styles. Different stages in the growth of Christians individually, and the Church corporately may call for different styles. In my opinion, the key is being faithful in prayer and sensitive to the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Any preacher who steams ahead in the direction "he" has chosen, without following the leadership of the Spirit, demonstrates laziness, no matter what his style tends to be.

I've preached every style of sermon there is, some styles I prefer more than others, I do not preach one style exclusively. It is not the style, but rather the lack preparation which determines the laziness of the preacher. I've preached verse-by-verse through a book, and it was very needful at the time. I've started a verse-by-verse, and was interrupted to preach several topics. Then came back to the verse-by-verse and there is no doubt the Spirit was in the guidance, as the sermon covered after coming back to the passage was right on target for the day. I've started a verse-by-verse, got interrupted and never made it back to it. I've taken one verse and preached an entire sermon. I've taken a topic and preached using multiple verses from different books. I've preached a passage and not the whole chapter, sometimes I've preached the whole chapter. I've preached using mainly illustrations, I've preached using no illustrations. I've preached using visual aides, I've preached walking all over the stage and among the audience, I've preached standing behind the pulpit the entire time, I've preached without the use of a pulpit. I've preached open air, on the streets, I've preached in a church, I've preached in a park, I've preached in a prison, I've preached to volunteers and first responders at a disaster site, I've preached at an outdoor honky tonk venue, I've preached in foreign countries in a foreign language; my style varies as much as the location, whatever is appropriate for the situation and the audience.

Andy may have a particular style that he uses and a particular audience that he preaches to, but to label another style that he does not like as being lazy, demonstrates a lack of charity and grace. Additionally he is placing bounds on the ability of God to use a man to reach an audience according to that man's talents and abilities.

5. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Andy Stanley is lost and without Christ. We need to pray for him

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why do you say that?

7. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His views on God, scripture, sin and salvation.

Just look it up

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well since you have cornered the market of who is and isn't lost, anyone else we should know about?

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you tell us, since you're the one making the judgment on his "lostness".

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Andy is not lost. Good grief

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have heard his views regarding all from his own mouth and he has orthodox, biblical beliefs on all 4.

12. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the article. Talk about straining at gnats...good grief. If that is the best you've got, you have failed miserably.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Looks like a good message addressing "religion" vs. Christ. I agree with most of what I read there (I did read quickly because I need to get off the computer to get ready for dinner) and I definitely want to hear what he says in context because I'm sure it will be good.

I watched one video of his and was GREATLY disagreeing with him until I heard it in context. Then I realized what he was saying and TOTALLY agreed with him. That is the key - context. In any message, we have to listen to context. Have you listened to his whole message that is being referred to in that link?