1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Angels and CoHabiting with Mankind?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisnumbersdisconnected

[​IMG]
    As as already been pointed out, "giants" is a terrible translation. The word is a derivative of the Hebrew naphal which means "to fall upon." It is a term of uncertain meaning, but likely suggests the idea of strength and prowess. It is used in Numbers 13:33 of certain inhabitants of Canaan whom the Israelite spies encountered in their survey of the land. The context indicates that they and the Anak among them were merely "men of great stature" (v. 32). They were not the progeny of angels.
    One, angels are spirits. Jesus points out, in proving Himself to be flesh after the Resurrection, " ... a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have" (Luke 24:39). It is obviously impossible for a being of flesh and being of spirit to make physical contact. The thought is ludicrous.
    As the inspired word of God speaking to Moses, the accounts are only as inaccurate as our loss of knowledge regarding the meaning of some words used to described a long-extinct lineage of man makes them. There is nothing supernatural or magical about the Anak or their relatives, the Nephilim. They were men. Period.

2. beameup

beameup Member

Jude 6 - And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation [oiketerion], he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

II Corinthians 5:2 - For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house [oiketerion] which is from heaven:

The glorified body is what we receive. The glorified body is what the angels that sinned gave up.
    Could this mean that angels have DNA? I think so.

I might add that some feel that demons are the disembodied spirits of the nephilim.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2 Peter 2:4 - For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell [Tartarus],
    and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; [released during the Great Tribulation?]
    Revelation 9:2-3 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit,
    as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.
    And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.

#42 beameup, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
  3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

1. I would like one person to show me anywhere in the Bible where a "son of God" is a demon or anything less than one in union with God.

2. Humans are a unique "kind", a one and only. Reproduction only occurs within each kind according to the Bible.

3. Why would a demon obey Gods institution of marriage?

#43 webdog, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
  4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I agree with CTB here---angels are not flesh and blood as humans are---for them to procreate with humans and produce offspring would require that the angels have the same DNA composition as humans, have the same required chromosomes and the same reproductive organs as humans

There are folks on the BB who would disagree with me and CTB---but the issue is not a hill I need to die on---although you won't be able to convince me that it is possible for angels and humans to have sexual relations and procreate

:type::type:

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

And I agree with Webdog, also!!

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thing is, the Bible never says that angels are sexless. It does refer to the angels IN HEAVEN as not marrying or giving in marriage. Those angels that left their first estate are no longer "in heaven."

While angels are spiritual beings, they can and have taken on fleshly forms while on earth. Whenever that happened, they appeared as males. Remember when they came to Lot, they were as men. Same thing when they appeared to Abram and Daniel, Mary, etc. Abram even had food for them. Speaking of angels eating, manna is called the food of angels in scripture.

The idea of "strange flesh" is still around today with books like "Twilight" where human women are lured into romance with a non-human, or part-human, creature. There have been stories of secret experiments to make "super humans" for military purposes, and stories of "aliens" abducting people to study their reproductive aspects. So that brings the question, did Christ die for hybrids? If Satan can corrupt the seed of man, can man be saved? And how does all this play into the mark of the beast later on? Will those with the mark be marked genetically?

Is it just silly science fiction? Maybe, maybe not. It is certainly worth pondering.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why wouldn't a demon disobey God, or since when did demons start obeying God? That's a good one! :laugh:
    I wish all the demons would obey God. What a peaceful world it would be.
    While you are at it, tell the devil to obey God as well. That would be a neat trick. Does he obey you? j/k.

Both angels and demons take on bodies just like men.
    Take angels for example.
    Three "men" came to see Abraham. One of those "persons" was the Lord himself (a theophany) who stayed back and communed with Abraham. Abraham pleaded for the lives of his Lot and the other possible relatives that he would have in Sodom.

Meanwhile two angels proceeded to Sodom. They looked and acted just like men. The men of Sodom wanted to "sodomize" them. Why? They looked like men, and they couldn't tell the difference except that they were good men. They didn't know at that time that they were angels.
    Lot could tell. Either the angels revealed themselves to Lot as such, or Lot had enough spiritual discernment to recognize them as angels. The latter is more likely.
    As the men pounded on the door demanding these "virgin" men (as they would probably see it), eventually the angels used their supernatural power and blinded them.

They did have human bodies. How did they function? We are not told.
    We know that in heaven there is no marriage. But that says nothing about "on earth."
    If they had supernatural powers and bodies capable of procreation, then what kind of offspring would they have?

Good angels, of course, would not do that. But if the "sons of god" are evil angels with bodies capable of procreation, then the offspring would indeed be evil. It is immediately after that union, that the Lord says:

Genesis 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
    5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
    6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
    7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

This very sin brought on the Flood.
    Adultery would not have brought such a judgment. Israel married the Moabites and there was a judgment but not a destruction of the world.

It is ridiculous to think that the descendants from Seth marrying the descendants from Cain would bring any judgment at all. Where is the evidence that this had not already happened years ago? We don't have all the genealogical records.
    Besides, technically we are all of one race--the Adamic race. Even a distant relative from Cain could have turned to the Lord. The entire concept smacks of racism.
    No, it was far greater than that. This involved evil of the worst sort--Satan himself. His demons in flesh intermarrying wicked women thus bringing the wrath of God.
    ...And there were giants in the earth--very wicked ones.

8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me thinks....

You're on to something BIG! :laugh::laugh:

9. CarlandBeth

CarlandBeth New Member

I agree

Really good points here!

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now it came to pass on the day when the sons of God came to present themselves before Jehovah, that Satan also came among them. Job 1:6

Again it came to pass on the day when the sons of God came to present themselves before Jehovah, that Satan came also among them to present himself before Jehovah. Job 2:1

When the morning stars sang together, And all the sons of God shouted for joy? Job 38:7

[add]

Contrast with:

1 Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah, namely, of Shem, Ham, and Japheth: and unto them were sons born after the flood.
    2 The sons of Japheth: Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.
    3 And the sons of Gomer: Ashkenaz, and Riphath, and Togarmah.
    4 And the sons of Javan: Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.
    5 Of these were the isles of the nations divided in their lands, every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.
    6 And the sons of Ham: Cush, and Mizraim, and Put, and Canaan.
    7 And the sons of Cush: Seba, and Havilah, and Sabtah, and Raamah, and Sabteca; and the sons of Raamah: Sheba, and Dedan....etc, Gen 10

#50 kyredneck, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
  11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would tend to agree with you here on how to view this entire issue, would also say that those angels probably needed to possess men bodies to get the required sperm to have offspring of women, but, and more importantly, no one has the definite answer here, and NOT something to divide upon!

12. KRJ

KRJ New Member

My first thought was that your emocon was sarcastic and dismissive out of prideful arrogance. Some people do things like that out of an emotional need to be right and to win arguments. But it's also true that some people just get a little carried away with passion for what they are sure is the truth.

Since I don't know you I need to choose to believe you did that with a charitable spirt, that your true motivation is simply rightly dividing the word of truth, and that no personal pride on your part or disrespect for me as a person was involved.

But only you and God know for sure.

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

Yes, as opposed to using unviable extrabiblical and false teachings such as referencing the Roman/Greek gods as "proof" of anything in God's word. Kind of like abcgrad did in her post.
    They are never referred to as any "gender" but men, however. All genitive pronouns identifying them are masculine. So how would you propose they reproduce?
    Can you provide evidence, please? God Himself had to be born of a woman in order to take on human flesh, and your statements suggests that angels have more power than God.
    They appeared to be men. Nothing indicates they actually took on flesh. Certainly, they "ate" as you say, but that isn't proof they were fleshly in nature. The angel Gabriel appeared to Daniel and Daniel knew he was an angel, so it is evident he did not have a human form.
    "Twilight" as evidence for "strange flesh"?? Really??? I've yet to see anyone answer Webdog's excellent post. DHK tried, but failed miserably, making the same mistakes you have made here. Perhaps you'd care to tackle it??

#53 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
  14. thisnumbersdisconnected

Yes, as opposed to using unviable extrabiblical and false teachings such as referencing the Roman/Greek gods as "proof" of anything in God's word.

15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will ask one more time. Was Jesus of Nazareth the offspring of Mary?

Was Jesus generated within the egg of Mary?

Yes or no will be fine or one can elaborate.

16. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    DHK did a great job answering those questions.

Why do you say the angel that appeared to Daniel did not have a human form? Simply because Daniel recognized him to be an angel? In Daniel 9:21 the angel is called "the man Gabriel." Daniel recognized him in the form of a man, not a spirit or a ghost.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joshua thought that he saw a man, who announced Himself as being Commander of the army of the Lord!

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit united within Mary God the Son, with sinless humanity!

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

you didn't read what I said. I said why would a demon OBEY Gods institution of marriage? Like a demon wouldn't just rape a woman...he had to take her hand in marriage?!? Ridiculous.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This clearly shows the separation between a demon and sons of God

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.