1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

annihilation of the body and spirit is Hell?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Bible Believing Bill, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Elder Marty

Elder Marty New Member

Yes, I believe each are literal, and that the punishment of the wicked is everlasting and the joys of the righteous are eternal. The puppy dog story is simply an illustration. Puppy dogs are annihilated, i.e. a childs puppy dog heaven. But people are not, thus no puppy dog hell. Sorry, I am just a country preacher, so these illustrations make sense to me.

[ August 16, 2002, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Elder Marty ]

2. Elder Marty

Elder Marty New Member

Wait, I hope that was typo. I don't believe in hell for God's children. I believe in a literal hell for those that are not God's children.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

How do you know?

4. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Warm Christian greetings!

I was very encouraged to read of the testimony of "Justified". Some years ago an evangelist came to our church. On the Sunday evening he preached one of the most powerful Gospel messages I have ever heard. He finished with an illustration that shook me, even though I am saved and have no fear of death. Several years before there had been a terrible fire on the Kings Cross underground (you call it "Subway") in London. During the course of this fire a lone woman tried desperately to warn people not to go up a particular escalator. She even tried to physically pull them back but they shrugged her off and went on to their doom. The evangelist (his name was Paul Hinton) went on to explain how this is like the evangelist warning people of the judgement to come.

By all means speak on the love of God and His kindness, but also bear in mind the need to warn people in accordance with Ezezkiel 33. People who deny a literal Hell are denying one of the very reasons why Christ died, they are watering down the Gospel, and their unbelief may give the unsaved a false hope.

Kind regards

Robert J Hutton

5. Sularis

Sularis Member

Elder Martyr - perhaps you meant something more like this

statement you'll agree with
    ------------------------------------------------
    There is a Physical Hell for mankind
    There is a Physical Heaven for mankind

There are not multiple heavens for unbelievers, or multiple hells for Christians

There is one Heaven, one Hell, for all mankind
    ----------------------------------------------

statement you may not
    Where we as individuals go; depends on the justice and mercy of God; as well whether or not we choose to accept the requirements God has put in place. (free "will")

6. Justified

Justified New Member

"Thank You" Brother! [​IMG]

I have to ask, is it my imagination or did Jesus teach more about Hell, then He did about Heaven? :confused:

"It is always better to stand up for conservatism, then to fall into liberalism" Justified Version ;)

7. Robert J Hutton

Reply to Justified:

I'm told that Jesus taught more about Hell than Heaven. I've never actually gone through and counted the references but have heard this said from reliable sources, independent of one another.

It only goes to show that His followers must be faithful in warning people and lovingly urging them to "flee from the wrath to come".

It also goes to show that so-called evangelicals who deny a literal eternal punishment are going against Christ Himself - may the Lord have mercy on them!

Kind regards

Robert J Hutton.

8. Optional

Optional New Member

Hi Robert.
    I wanted to check out your website, but it wouldn't come up. :(

9. Justified

Justified New Member

No fear of Eternal Damnation/ No need of Eternal Salvation! :eek: :D :cool:

"It is always better to stand up for conservatism, then to fall into liberalism" Justified Version ;)

10. Robert J Hutton

Reply to Optional:

I'm not too sure what's happened to my web site, leave it with me and I will make a few enquiries.

Kind regards

Robert J Hutton

11. Robert J Hutton

Reply to Justified:

You are correct to say that if people have no fear of eternal damnation it will lead to them having no need of eternal salvation.

Several years ago the Church of England brought out a report in which it denied eternal damnation. This was discussed on prime time radio "The world at 1" which always comes on at 1pm every weekday on Radio 4. The two protagonists in the discussion where a man called John Cheeseman (who is one of the few vicars in the C of E who believe the Bible and was defending the Biblical teaching on Hell) and another man, whose name I didn't catch, who clearly was not even saved. The interviewer actually gave the liberal chap a hard time and made the point that you (Justified) made in your post. He stated that if you tell people that there is no eternal Hell you not going to get anyone converted. I couldn't have put it better myself!

To teach annihilation is to do the Devil's work because it gives people false hopes.

Kind regards,

Robert J Hutton

12. Robert Nicholson

Robert Nicholson New Member

"In hell (hades) he lifted up his eyes being in torment" (Luke 16:23) I do not consider myself a "flamer" nor do I take delight in thinking of those who disobey the gospel will be lost forever, however, the Lord Jesus made it plain that we are either in a place of comfort and torment after we die.

The rich man in Luke 16 cried for mercy, there was none. He was denied a drop of water. He had a memory of his past decisions and a fear for his brothers still on earth.

Human language can never explain the glories of heaven for the believer or the awfulness of eternal separation from God for the unbeliever.

Robert