1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anointing with oil

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pastor_Bob, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. If someone had a bad case of hemorrhoids I would LOVE to anoint them with oil ON THE FOREHEAD!

Okay, a little extreme. And speaking of "extreme", Extreme Unction is a sacrament of the Catholic church in which a priest places oil on the forehead (and often eyelids, lips, ears) of a dying parishoner.

In my hospital sojourns, I have seen one use oil to make a sign of a cross on the forehead. Think that the modern "anointing with oil" is a throwback to that sacrament.

2. atestring

atestring New Member

I pray that your foot will be healed. I suffered with a heal spur for a long period of time and I know by experience that when our feet hurt our whold body suffers from it.
    May God Bless and keep You, and your foot.

3. atestring

atestring New Member

Only problem is doing it in church isn't biblical.
    Not certain is there a verse that tells us to lay hands on the sick and pray for healing?
    Isn't it better to pray for God's will for the person?
    </font>[/QUOTE]There is a verse. Mark 16:18

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we accept the last part (which is NOT in a church service, btw) of this passage, we'd better not ignore snakes and poison.

Right.

5. atestring

atestring New Member

If we accept the last part (which is NOT in a church service, btw) of this passage, we'd better not ignore snakes and poison.

Right.
    </font>[/QUOTE]This verse is open ended in the matter of wheither it is for a church service or not.
    There is nothing that says that it is or it isn't!!!

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. WHERE it happens is really irrelevant.

All or nothing. Ready for the poison? :rolleyes:

7. atestring

atestring New Member

I am no expert on snakes and personally I hate those slimy things.
    I would not lay hands on the sick unless they were sick and I would not pick up reptiles unless I had a reason to do so. If I had a reason to do so I would have to believe god , Take him at his word and leave the results to god. No different than laying hands on the sick. If I drank any deadly thing ( by mistake) I would take God at his word and leave the results to God.

I also would not get hung up on this verse and let the reptiles and poison keep me from laying hands on the sick or have someone lay hands on me if I were sick.
    BTW,
    How is your foot?

God Bless and Keep you,
    Atestring

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for asking. Simple answer is that the broken bone and torn tendons is slowly healing. I'm in a cast until Sept 4, minimum.

As for the neuropathy that is killing all nerve, it is mid calf (I can tell; I'm losing hair up my legs as the nerve damage expands. Pretty soon I'll look like a girlie man!!)

Have started therapy with anodyne - electric infared light waves that open up blood and nerve action up to 4000%. I have already found a great reduction in pain. PTL.

May opt to buy my own (through the wife's clinic) although it is $3k (that's 6 million Canadian :eek: ) if it shows promise.

I can also balance on one foot for 15 seconds and almost 7 seconds on the other. Hence they want me to WALK AGAIN!

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And as for the verses? Duh. Forgot to deal with the issues as I gave an organ recital!

I do not believe the ending of Mark in my KJV is correct. I did intense study in my post grad work on the "endings" of Mark. I was dumbfounded at the number and variety that seemed to add to the abrupt ending of Peter in his sermon.

I would close off Mark 16 after v 8. I have read 20 varieties of endings after that (from a sentence to 12 entire verses. There is NO agreement.

If I were reading the other Gospels and then Mark, I would feel like something was missing, too. Each group began adding their own, or building on other bits from other groups. Amazing to study.

While there are many small varieties in Greek texts, there are just a few words/spelling differences in Mark 16:1-9 in EVERY Greek text (take your choice).

But thousands of varieties in the next verses!

I will start a thread on this in the Versions forum. But think if you WANT to enter that place! "Abandon hope, all you who enter here"! (Dante) :eek:

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

In my baptist experience, we've done it but very rarely.

In my WoF experience, it was a big thing. I remember helping two girls in our church move in to an apartment together and the two of them running around the apartment pouring oil all over everything and "pleading the blood" over everything.

It was pretty goofy.

11. atestring

atestring New Member

I hope your foot continues to heal.
    I am glad that you havehad a reduction in pain.
    May you prosper and be in health even as your soul prospers.

12. atestring

atestring New Member

Maybe I have a problem in that I believe that the Word of God as I have always known it all of my life is inspired of God and that all of it is profitable for doctrine, reproof etc.
    If I cannot accept the verses of Mark 16 thaen maybe there are s0me other verses that I should not accept.
    Should I take a pair of Scissors and cut out Mark 16. I sure wouldn;t want a false Bible verse in My Bible.
    Please give me a list of other verses that I should cut out.
    I want to be correct.

God Bless your foot, anyway.