1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another #1 falls.

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by webdog, Nov 10, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The crazy 2007 college football season continues :eek: :tear:

If OSU was going to lose, I wish they would have lost earlier in the season. Two teams can each lose one game, but the team that loses earlier in the season can still move up the polls to play for the national championship. I'm sick of the college football format. How in the world can we train our future world leaders and rocket scientists at these schools, but cannot come up with a viable playoff format? :confused:

#1 webdog, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2007
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There could easily be a playoff. The other divisions have playoffs. However, the big conferences like the current system and the way that the money is divided up.

There would be more money if a playoff system was put into place but the big conferences are satisfied with the status quo.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Consider yourself fortunate. Ohio State would have been murdered by Oregon, LSU, or Oklahoma in the BCS title game.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah...because they are all powerhouses... :rolleyes:

You mean the LSU team that lost to a Kentucky team... that got blown out by Mississippi State?

You mean the Oklahoma team that lost to 5 - 6 Colorado?

The only one I may agree with you would be Oregon, as they lost to #6 Cal., but I highly doubt OSU would have been "murdered" by them.

A six week layoff can swing any game in any direction.

#4 webdog, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2007
  5. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oregon has a weak schedule for a couple weeks, but this raises them to #1 probably. They are something. GO DUCKS

6. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

You have to consider WVU in the mix as well. They only lost one game and have soundly beaten everyone else, except for Louisville this week. I think WVU could beat OSU, KU, Oregon, etc. The Big East gets no respect.

Yes, I am being partial to the Mountaineers.

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SEC is a murderer's row. You never know what's going to happen. As for the Big 10 (11), when your 2nd place team in the conference lost to Appalachian State, you know that your conference isn't the best in the land.

We can talk about the individual losses, but I have one question--which team of substance has Ohio State defeated?

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think WVU could hang with all of the other major contenders. We should have a playoff because this season is going to leave a lot of deserving teams without a shot at the mythical national championship.

9. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

I agree with you.

There was in the works to have a +1 game according to Beno Cook. The PAC 10 and the BIG 10 are the ones holding this up. There should be a 8 to 10 team playoff. That won't happen because of money.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If LSU and Oregon win out I think they will make it to the BCS Championship Game.

11. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Geaux....wait for it...Tigers!
    Although it is times like this weekend that makes things a bit rocky in the Daniel household since my wife is from Ohio and thinks i should at least give the Buckeyes a little credit (and i don't!).

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I disagree. I don't think the conferences like knowing they're leaving money on the table. They want their cake and want to eat it too, and just haven't figured out the best way to do it.

And the conferences secretly hate the status quo. Of the major conferences, only two can realistically hope to have a NC player despite the records and resumes of the other conference champs. That deprives the other big conferences of more money and tv exposure. The nanosecond the money is right (for the greedy Univ presidents who want the bowls and the playoff, and both could work, btw), we'll have a playoff. Slive has floated many trial ballons in the SEC, and you know he can't be the only one thinking about it. He is just (so far) the only one with the guts to do it publicly.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The BCS conferences rack up huge money from the BCS bowl games. Any playoff system will have to ensure them that much money or more. They are not going to go along with a system that benefits the non-BCS conferences.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yes, the BCS conferences do get good money from the BCS games. However, the non-BCS conferences get their slice if their teams qualify (as Boise St did last year) and would in a playoff. There would be no automatic for them in a playoff just as there is no automatic for them now. And right now only two conferences can have more than one slice of the pie (with more than one BCS entrant). A playoff could guarantee more conferences multiple entrants, and thus more money.

I cannot fathom a playoff garnering less dollars than the current system. I know that the sponsorship rights are one issue, but there are ways to do that. And remember, you don't have to give up the bowls for the playoffs.

Remember that when the money is right, we'll have a playoff. Not a moment before.

My sympathies for Saturday, Ken. In Knoxville, we're still trying to figure out who stole our orange jerseys and played good defense Saturday :)

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No need. It may help us to rid our football program of Houston Nutt.

16. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be a great early Thanksgiving for Nutt to get "Croomed" this weekend.