1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another Degree Mill

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Dec 29, 2008.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The vast majority of students who graduate from seminaries and then pastor find themselves working a regular job to unforeseen problems. I pastored a church that I never expected to see so close to paganism and eventually they asked me to leave. So now I teach at a university and find my self reaching students instead.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm reading Dr. Mohler's He Is Not Silent: Preaching In A Postmodern World ( I plan to do a review on my blog when I'm done).

At any rate, he makes the point that it is not so much about academics but faithfulness to preaching the Word of God.

I think church leaders and local churches need the message of this book.

And local churches need to be able to listen. That's one of the problems for preachers.

#42 TCGreek, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2009
  3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is much more than faithfulness to the preaching of the Word but rather obedience to the Word.

When I was in seminary and shortly thereafter I asked some of those who were denominational leaders about how they made disciples. The conversation was usually very short and they walked away. I came to the conclusion that I met very few who could me a decent answer indicating that they have actually made disciples.

There are very few people who are making disciples. Yet they continue to proclaim various ideologies. People can listen to great preaching year after year and get filled up with intellectual knowledge while being encouraged and yet newer be shown how to make disciples.

4. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

when I left the Marine Corps in 2003 to pursue the ministry full time, it amazed me what trouble I had securing a pastorate, even with much lay ministry expereince preaching & teaching, a clear calling, and strong reputation, without having the Master of Divinity. It was really surprising to me as I had known wonderful pastors with little more than certificates in biblical studies or a B.A. in Ministry. It has been well said that, "when everybody is somebody then nobody is anybody."

Are we all busy pursuing degrees to be better teachers or to meet the status quo of an educationally inflated church culture? I love education but the truth is that an overabundance of theology applied to quickly has the power to steer us off course to being puffed up with knowledge and pride rather than guiding us to humble acceptance of our need for God in the ministry.

Good thougths, Jim.

#44 PilgrimPastor, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

We've had our problems with Almeda where I work too.

I know of some non-doe-accredited denominational seminaries that have higher academic standards than accredited ones. But the unaccredited ones usually have a narrower purpose and therefore less breadth in their curriculum.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Too many church folks are not obedient and do not recognize a pastor who is. When they find one who is they are scared because he will call them to be accountable to what scripture teaches. When that happens it is amazing how many will give an incredible number of excuses. Those who are alive are ready to do ministry or at least be helped along the way and encourged in their Christian life.

Too many gurus are developing programs to get more nickels and noses rather than obedient reproducing disciples.

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I went to JVI's web site and learned nothing. Turns out I have a book of his , a commentary on Revelation . The small biographical area in the back cover is only generic in nature and would lead one to believe JVI has 14 honorary doctorates. So who knows what for sure?

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

From the extensive research I have done in looking into Unacreddited Distance Bible Colleges / Universities / Seminaries, I would suggest that they are among the very best available in that group of schools. Respected by many.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I understand they could get accredited but refuse to. Some event in the past makes them see the accreditation process as corrupting.

11. Swordfinn

Swordfinn New Member

I did graduate studies at Pensacola Christian College(unaccredited) I would not call PCC a diploma mill just because it doesn't have accreditation. There are many good Bible colleges and seminaries that are not accredited for various reasons.
    Some of the better ones are:
    California Graduate School of Theology, Bethany Divinity College & Seminary,
    Louisiana Baptist University, Pensacola Christian College, Columbia Evangelical Seminary, Trinity Southwestern University.Georgia Christian University and University of Fort Lauderdale.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What makes them a good nonaccredited school?

13. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I love education but the truth is that an overabundance of theology applied to quickly has the power to steer us off course to being puffed up with knowledge and pride rather than guiding us to humble acceptance of our need for God in the ministry.

--------

Perhaps so. yet IMO God has provided the written Word to guide us in beliefs and practice, and Theology is to based on that Word. I trust Biblical Theology more than I trust what I may suppose is God's direct communication to me.

As for the virtue of unaccredited Christian higher education, I think that in many cases this needs to measured by the the spiritual ,academic , and teaching qualifications of the professors, the rigor of the entry requisites and expectations, and the utility of the outcomes in terms of skills & learnings, transfer of credits, admittance to higher programs in accredited schools and to ministry oppotunities.

#53 UZThD, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2009
  14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

True education comes through knowing and serving God not just intellectual knowledge. One cannot know God apart from obedience.

15. UZThD

UZThD New Member

---------

knowing Scripture is required to obey

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The demons believe and shudder. certainly they are not obedient.

James 1:5, "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him."

Having a perfect knowledge of scripture does not ensure a complete knowledge of God.

17. UZThD

UZThD New Member

--------

Well, I hope we can agree to disagree.

18. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

But having no knowledge guarantees disobedience..

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

"Training in righteousness" means "learning to be obedient". A wise preacher once said "God's word will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from God's word".

If someone asked God for knowledge, but was not studying His Holy word, He would probably say "Why don't you try looking in My book?"

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Our churches are filled with truly devoted followers of Jesus Christ who've never been to seminary or Bible college.

What we need to be truly devoted to Jesus Christ is simple enough for anyone to get it.

We don't need seminary or Bible college for the simple, plain teachings of Scripture.

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

But you will know God's Word in direct correlation to the amount of effort you put into it's study. Those who go the extra mile of devoting years of their life to seminary, will on average, know scripture better.