1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another Fine GOP Example of Morality

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by saturneptune, Feb 10, 2011.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Why do we the people put up with a so called conservative, family values party when the result is the same time after time? When are we going to put two parties in power that believe in following the Constitution and serving the people? Here is another example of a self-indulgent, power hungry member of the Democrat/Republican establishment.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ort-claiming-sent-shirtless-photo-craigslist/

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose it should not, but it still does amaze me that people are smart enough to be elected and then act with such stupidity.

3. targus

targus New Member

Political parties with different names would not be changing the situation much if the same types of people run for office.

The change needs to be in who runs for office.

I can't help but wonder though how a voter was to know that Christopher Lee had this particular flaw in his personality.

Can you name any politician of any stripe that for sure will not behave in an inapporpriate manner in the future?

I sure don't have that sort of foreknowledge.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, I do not have that foreknowledge. Your logic of keeping the same two parties that produces people who do not want to serve the people or run this nation by the Constitution escapes me. Had this been a Democrat (which is just as bad), you would have been all up at arms about it. No, we do not have foreknowledge, but we do have brains that the Lord gave us. We can educate ourselves about the Constitution, past records of those we vote for, and make an intelligent decision. There will be no change in those who run for office until we stop electing establishment type people. I will bet there is enough record to do such since he is a two term congressman. Nothing is going to change until the myth about differences between Republicans and Democrats is smashed.

This must be the most wonderful time of year for you, its tax time.

5. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Yes, it is amazing...

But, then there is obama! :saint:

But, if a person does not have the moral convictions backed up by The Holy Spirit within, can we really expect any less from a mere unregenerate man.

(Not to say that plenty of "spiritual" types have fallen, too.)

6. targus

targus New Member

I don't know how you came to this conclusion based on my response.
    Again, I don't know how you came to this conclusion based on my response.
    Agreed for those candidates with a voting record - but what about those who are new to politics and have no such record. How do we sort those candidates out?
    I am not sure what in his voting record would have tipped voters off to his potential extra-marital activities.
    I agree - more emphasis needs to be placed on the individual candidate. Unfortunately they are not always forthcoming about who they really are.

I gave up the tax season rat race a number of years ago - now it's all auditing for me.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

There's probably one distinction worth noting:

There's unfortunately little behavioral difference IMHO between D's and R's in power.

The difference is that a predominantly D district embraces such behavior (otherwise, explain pedophile Barney Frank); while a predominantly R district demands resignation.

The difference: If your district is Democratic, you're "forgiven" and can be elected in perpetuity.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

>I can't help but wonder though how a voter was to know that Christopher Lee had this particular flaw in his personality.

Christians are supposed to know that every person has every sort of flaw in his personality. We call it "sin nature." Some hide their sin nature better than others.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Maybe you would know, maybe you would not. The point is that those who vote the Republican line based on the premise they are more Christ-like than Democrats. Some people vote for Republicans over and over with the same outcome.

10. targus

targus New Member

You need to read with more care.

I said "this particular flaw".

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

On THAT, we can agree. If someone's blindly voting solely on the suffix, bad form, IMO.

Having said that...there's really know way to know the heart of the individual voting. And, when you come down to it...I agree with billwald. Some folks, for a season, are extrordinarily good at covering up (no pun intended :D). Sometimes, they talk a great game, and we get sucked in. Sometimes, there really isn't any way for us to know.

But...as sin's appetite grows...the little void we try to fill becomes the void that consumes us. Just like the addict who quits his job to seek drugs full-time, we get careless, and/or irresponsible. And eventually, our sins take bloom in the open, and we're discovered.

Having said that, and having watch this guy try his first round of lies and denials before realizing the gig was up...betcha a Duncan Donut it wasn't his first trip around the "craigslist women seek men" block...

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taking what Rbell said a step further -

At least this Congressman had the humility (after being caught) at least to resign.

I am able to name several Dems who refused to resign after such an incident.
    I'm not saying there are none, but can anyone name a Dem who did resigned immediately in similar circumstances?

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Why such low standards? Neither side is worthy of our trust.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and I trust that is the reason he did resign - unlike others....

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'll agree that neither side (key word) is. A suffix doesn't redeem one.

However, I think it is worth noting (anecdotally and IMHO) that I'm more likely to find an "R" I can trust than a "D." That is to say, there are statistically more "R's" worthy of office than "D's."

Now...there are enough bad apples on both sides that I can't trust the suffix itself. However, the other can't be ignored.

And, I'll say one other thing: This guy ought to be finished in public service. But, as a Christian, I can still pray for him to be reconciled to God (repentance, and salvation, if he isn't saved), to his family, and to never repeat such a betrayal of sacred trust.

An admission of guilt MUST be a first step. We don't know his heart...this may just be an "admission I got caught." But, it may be a small step in a right direction.

For that, we can be grateful--not to redeem R's or restore this guy to public office...but as a person, father, husband, and American.

Wow. That was a flowery soliloquy ( :flower: :D ). Sorry, I'll be extra sarcastic next time to make up for it...

16. billwald

billwald New Member

>I said "this particular flaw".

Was Jesus tempted by that particular flaw? You never have been, not ever in your entire life been tempted by that particular flaw? (Not interested in females?)

Anyway, protestant Christianity does not admit that some flaws are more serious than others. At least our Catholic and Orthodox brothers have the common sense to recognize that some sins are felonies, other, misdemeanors.

17. targus

targus New Member

18. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

There is a big difference in smply being human, ie., accidentally seeing and being tempted, and being human acting sinfully on that temptation...

Not casting stones...
    [​IMG]

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Would you please explain how the Lord puts sin into catagories? If someone is depending on the "degree of sin" to make a difference in their eternal destiny, would you please explain how that works?

We as humans are experts at putting degrees on sin. As Baptists, we put drunkedness, adultery, and a collection of various vice sins on the top rung. Yet, we choose to ignore gossip and gluttony. No doubt we are experts at talking about someone buying lottery tickets or dancing as we stuff our guts at a church pot luck.

I am only aware of two instances in the Bible where a degree of sin is mentioned, and the final outcome is the same as any other sin, eternal seperation from God without faith in Christ. One is sexual sin, as Paul describes it as sinning against one's own body. The second would be blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, which is basically a sin of unbelief.

So please, explain whether all sins not being the same is a human or Godly mindset. While you are at it, would you please add a chart as to the serverity of sin, and explain the differernt consequences of each.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

People are sinners.

Political party doesn't matter one bit.

When it comes to sinning, no human being can be "trusted" not to.