1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another Harold Camping vent

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by annsni, Jan 25, 2011.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He looks like a walking skeleton.

2. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Harold Camping is 89 years old.

In the late 1980s, I used to listen to his "Open Forum" program on my shortwave radio. This was before he started announcing the second-coming prophecies. At that time, I listened to his program from 9:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. after my children were in bed. I also used to listen to some other Christian programing on the WYFR airwaves. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I also enjoyed the traditional hymns broadcast over the station. I used to be quite an avid shortwave radio listener. I had a room set up with radio and antenna equipment. I called the room Bob's radio shack. I also had a shortwave radio in my truck. Now, those days are gone because of the Internet.

When the first prophecy book came out (1994), I read it. Harold Camping certainly knows Scripture. However, I did not make the leap he made to the dates for Christ's return. I also did not follow his call for an exodus from the churches. Soon after the 1994 date passed, I quit listening to "Open Forum."

If I remember correctly, in the 1980s, Harold Camping said his theological position was reformed. For those who are interested, here is a link to Family Radio's Audio Archives. And here is the WYFR radio program schedule for listening to their programs online.

I always thought a call-in radio program was good for Christian fellowship. Now-a-days, Internet online forums like Baptist Board fill that need.

...Bob

#22 BobinKy, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011
  3. Glen Seeker

Glen Seeker New Member

How many times must a prophet be wrong before his followers realize that he's a FALSE prophet?

4. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

BobinKy...

You sound like me when I was a kid back in the mid 70's. I had a "radio shack" down in the basement. I had 3 shortwave radios, all hooked to extensive antennas out in the back yard.

I also had a CB set up. A "Johnson Messanger 223 with a D-104 mike and an Ilegal linear amp. A big Polecat antenna on the roof. During certain times of the day I could "talk skip from Kentucky where I live all the way to California, and way up into Canada.

They dont have to be. :smilewinkgrin: I still have a Short Wave radio. Of course they are digital now. Go to Radio Shack and get one. :thumbs:

By the way, I still have one of the short wave recievers that I used back then in the 70's. I bought it for $50 from a Ham operator who befriended me. Its a "RCA" model "BC-348-C" "United States Army Signal Corps" reciever.

It came out of a WW II bomber

Run a google image search on that and some will come up.

Believe it or not, I was still using it as late as 1996. I moved then and lost the power supply that the Ham guy made for it.

OK. Back to your regularly schedued program. :type:

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was stationed in Germany, I used to listen to Family Radio on Short Wave

6. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Hey...

Here are some of my shortwave radios (Part 1)

[​IMG]

I got started when our church minister of music loaned me (kid of 14) a Hallicrafters SX-100. I returned it after a few months.

[​IMG]

But I was hooked and my parents bought me a Hallicrafters S-120 for Christmas. Nothing like the snap, crackle, and pop of tube radio. My night owl habits got their start with this radio.

[​IMG]

I also received a pair of old headphones. They cost $5.00.

[​IMG]

And, of course, I had the antenna setup outside my bedroom window.

[continued]

#26 BobinKy, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
  7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are FALSE sheep, that is why they follow a FALSE prophet. Either that, or the Lord Jesus Christ was simply blowing hot air when He said: My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27.

8. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Shortwave Radios (part 2)

Here is what it was like on the big Christmas day with the Hallicrafters S-120. This clip is not me, but could have been. Sorry, no sound on this clip, just vintage video.

Listening to a Hallicrafters S-120 late at night. This one has sound.

Then, after college and my first job, I went portable.

[​IMG]

Sony 2010, my first portable Shortwave radio. Alas, I loaned it to a friend. You know the rest.

[​IMG]

I still have this portable Grundig 400 YB. It went to France for a year with my son. I hounded him until he gave it back.

[​IMG]

I also picked up this Grundig portable designed by F. A. Porsche. Looks great, but weak on the receiving end.

[​IMG]

This Grundig Satellit 800 sits on the desk in my study along with a radio log, which I must confess does not see much use lately. Too much time on Baptist Board.

My favorite Christian shortwave station was HCJB broadcast in English aimed at Eastern North America from Quito, Ecuador. Here is what it use to be like listening to HCJB on shortwave. This broadcast is in Spanish, but you get the idea. Now, HCJB is no longer broadcast in English on Shortwave Radio.

And today HCJB Global continues to broadcast Christian music and Christian programs to international audiences around the world. Click on this link to hear some HCJB Global programming samples, scroll down for live-streaming radio stations.

Most of the time, I listen to the contemporary sound of positive, encouraging K-LOVE broadcast in FM.

But the HCJB Global link above reminds me of the world we live in and the need to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ.

...Bob

#28 BobinKy, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
  9. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

10. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Bobinky...

I remember HCJB very well. I used to send for QSL cards from stations all the time. Had a wall full of them. HCJB was by 1st QSL card that I recieved back.

Back then I was not a christian and couldnt have cared less about the gospel being on short wave, but now I love it when I am turning the dial and hear the gosple being sent out all over the world.

Makes me think of the scripture that tells us the gospel with be sent to all the nations, and then the end will come.

We are there! Short wave broadcasters are doing it! In all languages.

Sometimes I'll come upon a station that is broadcasting in a language I cant understand, but then I will hear the word "Christo" or something like that, and I will know.

Its another station broadcasting to another nation!

AiC

11. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

Do you actually believe that praying for the death of someone with whom you disagree is Christ like? Shouldn't we be praying for this individual's salvation? :confused:

12. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

I think we should be praying for his conversion but at the same time praying that the Lord would expose him as a false teacher and to protect God's people from him and bring his ministry to confusion and silence.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sorry but a man who is leading SOOOO many away from the truth needs to be removed from that ability in whatever way it can be. I had been praying that the radio stations would be disabled or all of the Family Radio materials would no longer function but when he stated that he is the only one with this revelation and he is the only one who believes the Bible, I went loco. This man is beyond dangerous and I know that God has removed dangerous people in the past. It's time for this time to go - in some form or fashion. If it means that he has to die, so be it.

14. WestminsterMan

Praying for the failure of his organization is one thing - praying to Almighty God for his death is another. We are called to love our enemies - not to pray for their corporeal demise. God is in charge of every situation and this one is no different. His ways are as far above our ways as the heavens are above the Earth. Why not leave it in His hands? I’m not trying to tell you what to do; however, I do worry about your spiritual well being because of this. Don’t you fear the spiritual repercussions from such prayers?
    Peace.
    WM

15. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Paul claims to be an example for Christians to follow and in regard to those who preached another gospel he had the following to say:

"let them be accursed" - Gal. 1:8-9

"Ga 5:12 I would they were even cut off which trouble you."

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No I don't. I don't know if he's saved but he DOES claim to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for his salvation and I believe that he does love the Lord. In that case, it's best for him to die. He has eternal salvation and he will not be leading anyone away from Christ. There was a man who called into his radio program so afraid of the judgment that he is considering killing himself and his family because of the teachings of this man. If Harold Camping were to die, he could no longer spread this heresy that he preaches. However, I'm sure his radio program would continue so I more pray that all of Mr. Camping's ministry collapses in such an obvious way that all those who follow him will leave that teaching.

I'm sorry you don't like this idea but it's a Biblical one as Dr. Walter has pointed out. If he is unsaved then I pray more than anything for his salvation but I know he had a vital and vibrant ministry and taught the Word without fail. Unfortunately, that is now being buried by this false teaching and it needs to stop.

17. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22)

...Bob

#37 BobinKy, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
  18. WestminsterMan

Read the whole thing...
    8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

That would be God's job to curse them - the verse says nothing about praying for the death of anyone. In contrast, Jesus said that we should love our enemies.

Luke 6:27-36

27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Clearly, Paul is condeming the error of the Judaizers (circumcision). Don't you find it ironic that Paul uses the word apokoptō in a condemnation of circumcision?

From G575 and G2875; to amputate; reflexively (by irony) to mutilate (the privy parts): - cut off. Compare G2699. (Strongs Greek)

He is certainly NOT praying for their death nor is he espousing that practice - and nothing you have provided here proves otherwise.

Peace
    WM

19. WestminsterMan

It most certainly is NOT a Biblical idea as taught in the New Testament. See post #38. .

Peace.
    WM

20. WestminsterMan

I see. Don't you find that position somewhat presumptuous - meaning that you are presuming to know the mind of God with that statement? I would think that God knows when it is best for anyone to die...not you nor I.
    Peace.
    WM