1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another "internet connection problem" question

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by HeDied4U, Jan 18, 2010.

1. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As some of you may remember, a couple of months ago, I posted about my desktop no longer being able to connect to the internet. Everything else on it works just fine, except no connection.

Well, due to a lack of funds, I haven't been able to get it fixed, but I got to thinking if there might perhaps be an alternative to the problem.

I've been using either the computers at work to connect, or my netbook to connect at home via my wireless router. Being wireless at home got me to thinking (and here is where my question comes in).....is there any type on modem / adapter / or whatever that I could connect to an available USB port on my desktop to connect to the net via my wireless router (with a somewhat reasonable price)?

I've done a web search, but the results were kind of inconclusive. I was wondering if anyone here has either heard of and/or used such technology, if it even exists that is?

Any info anyone can provide, whether good or bad, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks is advance.

Adam

:)

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, both wired and wireless. I am not saying the below will work for your situation but illustrated availability.

They make a usb wireless: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ords=usb+wireless&searchbtn.x=0&searchbtn.y=0

They make a usb wired: (numbers 3-4 maybe more further down) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...words=usb+network&searchbtn.x=0&searchbtn.y=0

I will snoop your previous thread after I get a couple things done and see if I can get more specific, my memory is about one thread long - the one I'm on :tongue3:

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reread the original thread.

Some new thoughts:

1. Have you plugged in the netbook where your desktop is? That would tell you positive that it is your desktop if the netbook works. If the netbook does not work then it is the other direction. You might need to shut the wireless off on the netbook to avoid it getting confused. My guess the netbook will work from what you have found already.

2. Do not know what OS you are using but in Control Panel/add remove on the left there is a place for add/remove windows items. Click on it and snoop and be sure that the networking stuff is installed. It might have gotten uninstalled somehow.

3. In Control Panel there should be something about networking. Snoop around and see if you can find a listing of items that are installed, there will be a little window that has three or four items. One will progably be tcp/ip. List what you have in a post and one of us can check to see if you have all that you should have.

In XP (Vista will be similar I think) mine shows the following, and I do not know what should be there, maybe someone else can tell you. Go to Control Panel/Network Connections/ and right click Local Area Connection and choose properties. Mine has the following. Client for Microsoft Networks;; Wireless intermediate driver, file and printer sharing for microsoft networks; QoS packet scheduler and Internet Protocal (TCP/IP)

4. Tell us what OS you have on the desktop.

5. I doubt you have but do you have a pcmcia card slot on your machine? It is a long narrow slot maybe 1/8 inch thick and 3-4 inches long. They also make cards to hook to a network that fit in those slots. (Usually only on laptops.)