1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Another Jesus...or An idol of the Imagination?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Have you ever noticed how some people profess a love for "Jesus" and they seem quite sincere.
    As you discuss life they surprisingly will sometimes make statements or suggest ideas that deny what they professed.
    Statements such as my jesus will not send anyone to hell.
    Or their testimony is about something they have done,rather than being descriptive of the salvation by grace that the bible describes.
    This indicates a Jesus who they are in love with who is not the Jesus revealed by special revelation found in scripture.
    They have fallen in love with an idol of their imagination.
    How would you, or how have you tried to offer correction?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For many people, their Jesus is the One they wish Him to be, not what He is actually!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What would you say is the main cause of such a belief?

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about a Jesus who was crucified on a different day or different year? What difference does that make?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Either still be lost in their sins, or else having a really defective view on who God is, and the true Gospel message!

• Like Like x 1
  6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Anything less than 100% Jesus Christ is an imitator... Brother Glen:)

I might add this and relating to your question Iconoclast and as long as I've been here, I don't know!

Galatians 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

#6 tyndale1946, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was not thinking as much about speculations as to the birthday to the date of the crucifixion of the real Jesus speaking more about people who say they love Jesus but then they describe a Jesus who is different from the one revealed in the scriptures

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    many times people want the Jesus that loves all, b ut not Him as the Judge, or only way to salvation and God!

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From time to time you read or hear a person say, I could never worship God if He does what you say He will.
    What they are objecting to is something revealed in scripture but they cannot believe it, or are not willing to submit to God or His word.
    lk19;
    12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.

13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.

14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.

They had their own ideas of who God was and would not submit to the true God.

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God did not take kindly to such things at all as seen here in EZK8

Ezekiel 8 King James Version (KJV)
    8 And it came to pass in the sixth year, in the sixth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I sat in mine house, and the elders of Judah sat before me, that the hand of the Lord God fell there upon me.

2 Then I beheld, and lo a likeness as the appearance of fire: from the appearance of his loins even downward, fire; and from his loins even upward, as the appearance of brightness, as the colour of amber.

3 And he put forth the form of an hand, and took me by a lock of mine head; and the spirit lifted me up between the earth and the heaven, and brought me in the visions of God to Jerusalem, to the door of the inner gate that looketh toward the north; where was the seat of the image of jealousy, which provoketh to jealousy.

4 And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel was there, according to the vision that I saw in the plain.

5 Then said he unto me, Son of man, lift up thine eyes now the way toward the north. So I lifted up mine eyes the way toward the north, and behold northward at the gate of the altar this image of jealousy in the entry.

6 He said furthermore unto me, Son of man, seest thou what they do? even the great abominations that the house of Israel committeth here, that I should go far off from my sanctuary? but turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations.

7 And he brought me to the door of the court; and when I looked, behold a hole in the wall.

8 Then said he unto me, Son of man, dig now in the wall: and when I had digged in the wall, behold a door.

9 And he said unto me, Go in, and behold the wicked abominations that they do here.

10 So I went in and saw; and behold every form of creeping things, and abominable beasts, and all the idols of the house of Israel, pourtrayed upon the wall round about.

11 And there stood before them seventy men of the ancients of the house of Israel, and in the midst of them stood Jaazaniah the son of Shaphan, with every man his censer in his hand; and a thick cloud of incense went up.

12 Then said he unto me, Son of man, hast thou seen what the ancients of the house of Israel do in the dark, every man in the chambers of his imagery? for they say, the Lord seeth us not; the Lord hath forsaken the earth.

13 He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.

14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the Lord's house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.

15 Then said he unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations than these.

16 And he brought me into the inner court of the Lord's house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the Lord, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the Lord, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.

17 Then he said unto me,

Hast thou seen this, O son of man? Is it a light thing to the house of Judah that they commit the abominations which they commit here?

for they have filled the land with violence, and have returned to provoke me to anger: and, lo, they put the branch to their nose.

18 Therefore will I also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: and though they cry in mine ears with a loud voice, yet will I not hear them.

+
    religious people turning from the true God to Idols

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you saying that it has to be the Jesus fully revealed with every Divine attribute in place,at full strength and undiminished?
    If that is so then it would be helpful to study out each and every attribute in some detail,so we do not create an idol of the mind that we control rather than submit to.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From Isa41 to Isa46 the focus is on the true and living God, who is omnipotent.
    It is the God of the first Exodus who is going to provide a second Exodus, a new one is promised.
    Those who have drifted into apostasy and seek idols are warned their is no other God.
    Isaiah bears witness against those who in any way deny the absolute sovereignty of God.
    He is not giving instructions about idolatry, he is informing them it is a dead end. God will accomplish His eternal decree.
    Those who describe a God who is not absolutely Sovereign over salvation are warned in these sections. Anything else is eisegisis

13. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    we've got two Jesus's. One who died for the sins of some and Another Jesus who died for everyone ?

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One Jesus who loved the church and gave himself..for it.

One Jesus who died a Covenant death,that saves everyone who it was designed to save.mt1:21

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

No...one Jesus who died for the Church.the elect Sheep,They will all be saved by this Covenant death

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or a Jesus that died for the world .As the scriptures clearly say .
    Mat 13 .
    Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.
    He buys the WHOLE field .

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus owns the rights to all flesh; the gospel goes into all the world but here is the result;
    17 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

18. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    praise God there's more than one verse about what Jesus did by the gospel .

• Like Like x 1
  19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, but the Jesus of the bible did this;

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh,
    that he should give eternal life
    to as many as thou hast given him.

Not one verse will teach anything different than this.They will add to this, highlight this truth.We are told who the Covenant children are;

2 Saying, I will declare thy name unto
    my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.

13 And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.

14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

20. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    You calvinsts and your confusion with the old testament and the new . I notice you mainly quote the verses before the cross. Its like the cross is not really significant to you ??