1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another perspective....

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Dale-c, Aug 1, 2010.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Sorry my brother, but your opinion is not authority enough for me.

2. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Is it an opinion, to say that Christians need a final written authority in their life?

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Yes unless you can prove it Scripturally, and since you alread admitted that you cannot, you do not have a "Final Authority" to stand on.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Unless you can back it up with God's word, yes it is an opinion based on your own reasoning.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

So, no apology for calling a brother a liar and Satan. I forgive you though.

I have used the KJV, NKJV, NIV, and NASB to lead people to a saving faith in Christ Jesus. In VBS I have seen children come to know Christ and we used the HCSB version. There was no confusion on anyone's part. They fully understood their need for Christ. Your argument and need for one version is not sound. Confusion is only sewn when someone insists on one version only.

6. stilllearning

Your right; The Scripture nowhere tells us which version to use, but this statement......
    “Christians need a final written authority in their life?”

Does have Scriptural support.......
    2 Timothy 3:16-17
    V.16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    V.17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I agree with that statement 100%. Your opinion has nothing to do with that Bible truth.

#27 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
  8. stilllearning

Hello sag38

I thought this was settled, between us.

I had suggested that you had lied about things I said:
    You came back and apologized for misrepresenting my statements;
    Then I came back and said thanks.

I apologize for calling you a liar.
    --------------------------------------------------
    You also said......
    That is great.
    I have never said that people can’t get saved from any of these English translations.

All I am saying is, for the Bible to be “the final written authority in your life”, you need to use only “one” Bible, that is that authority.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

You still have nothing more than your opinion for that quote. It is therefore meaningless to (and has no bearing upon) anyone except you.

Not to mention, your view would preclude the usage of the Greek and Hebrew text which underlie the Bible translations.

#29 Mexdeaf, Aug 2, 2010
  10. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Yes, you said it was "on the authority of the Holy Spirit." I think, however, this is what the Bible would call speculations. THe Bible says:

"nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith. 5 The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith"

I personally believe the KJV is a speculation and not helpful to the church.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This is absolutely your opinion. It does not have the weight of scripture to back it up.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

How did He tell you this?

On another slant of this topic. Let's say, that, like John of Japan you were serving God in another country. You are still an English speaker but have had to learn another language to minister there.

Where would your absolute final authority be? Would it be in the KJT of the scriptures, or that local language's Bible? They are not going to agree 100%. Which would be your final authority and what would you tell the people you were ministering to?

#32 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 2, 2010
  13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

You are absolutely correct stilllearning! We only need one Bible. I have different English translations of this one Bible. (ESV, NASB, NKJV, KJV, NIV, HCSB). God only wrote one Bible. How blessed are we to have it translated into our language.

14. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    stilllearning;1577144]Hi Dale-c

Your point, hits on the point that I have always been trying to make.

“One version onlyism”(as you put it), is vitally important, because a Christian needs a FINAL AUTHORITY in their life.
    Without that, their faith is baseless.

And we have it...GOD'S WRITTEN WORD, every valid translation.

Of all the English Bibles available today, the KJB, is the only one, that even comes close to being a Bible we can trust with our life.

A completely UNPROVABLE statement, which is totally WRONG.

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And we DO have one "Bible", in several valid translations. So do the French, Germans, etc. You cannot prove otherwise.

16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still learning:Let me restate my answer to your questions: Last night it was late and I was tired.

Ruiz, you asked......

Quote:
    “Can you show your presuppositions from the Bible?”

And C4K, you asked........

Quote:
    “On whose authority can you make such a claim?”

No, I can not show you any Scripture to support what I have said, but I said it “on the authority” of the Holy Spirit.

So you have a hotline to the HS that no other Christian has? I doubt it.

The HOLY SPIRIT is NOT gonna go outside the bounds of Scripture, and KJVO is NOT found in Scripture. Therefore, if ya have whatcha believe is a "Spiritual message", I suggest you "test the spirits". (John 4:1)

I say that because, for the last two years that I have been here, reading what all the Spirit filled Christians on this site have said, I have only heard one English version being suggested, as worthy of being used exclusively.(The KJB)

Yes, and the "exclusive use" idea is patently FALSE.

In fact, on many occasions, it has been clearly stated, that none of all the other MV’s, are to be considered God’s preserved Word.

In fact, that's a big fat lie on eacha those occasions.

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, the Four Gospels, as found in the KJV or any other one version, each say different things in their narrations of the same events. According to your "take" of the "final written authority" thingie, only ONE can be correct! WHICH ONE???????????????????????????

18. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And no version nor translation is mentioned in any of these verses, which are found in every valid version.

The final written authority is any valid Bible version, old or newer. You cannot prove differently.

I have a fast red car.
    I have a red fast car.
    My car is red and fast.
    My car is fast and red.
    I have a car which can go fast when I drive it, & is colored red.
    I have a car which is colored red & can go fast when I drive it.

Which is correct? Howdya KNOW it is??????????

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had asked the very same question of Winman just the other day. It's a tough one for them.