1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another question for anti-Calvinists

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by whetstone, Apr 6, 2005.

1. icthus

icthus New Member

Whetstone, are you suggesting that we do not make any response to the Gospel, but that God takes it upon Himself to save anyone, regardless whether that person is willing or not?. Sure it is a "joint effort". God the Holy Spirit convictsm, and then we respond with either a yes or no. Scripture clearly says that we can resist the Holy Spirit.

2. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Margo.
    Please consider the fact that just because one is not a Calvinist that they then must be Arminian. Speaking for myself, I am a 0-point Calvinist that believes in the eternal security of the saints.

3. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Amen, and thanks Mike.

4. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

If one can have faith in ANYTHING!
    One can likewise have faith in God!

Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Read the word, or hear it preached, and you become obligated to make a decision regarding what you've read and or heard. If you believe what you have read or heard, you must take it on faith, because you have no way of proving it!

5. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

I did answer your question.

Faith is a gift from God (Eph. 2:8). But God expects us when hearing the Gospel and the Word of God to consider the source and choose to believe. A good example of this can be found in Mark 9:24 where the man said that he had faith, but he needed Christ to increase his faith. He chose to believe Him.

I would suspect that you don't have a testimony similar to this make-believe fellow:

'One day I was heading to the local bar to have a few beers and try to pick up some babe, when out of the blue I got saved and was filled with the Holy Spirit.'

I would suspect that you heard the Gospel by the Word of God and chose to believe what you heard. Then God gave you a true saving faith when He filled you with His Spirit (Rom. 8:14-16) just like any other Christian (Rom. 1:16, 10:17).

I would like to know if any Calvinist here got saved "out of the blue" similar to my fake scenario? If not, then your doctrine on election is bunk.