1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another Question for Calvinists

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by drfuss, Aug 22, 2006.

1. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Hello again drfuss. The creative tension I was speaking of is the fact that whosoever will believe is taught in the Bible. God's unconditional election is also taught in the Bible. I think where hypercalvinism comes in, it tries to do away with the whosoever which is clearly taught. We have to believe and teach both. Most calvinist I know would believe that whosoever is true. They would simply say that the whosoever are the elect. No one who believes with their hearts are denied salvation... that is clearly taught. I believe all of Romans 10 and all the rest of the Bible. It is when we believe and teach one to the exclusion of the other that we get outside the doctrinal barrier which then becomes unbiblical. When we try to explain away the truths of the Bible with philosophy... we get into trouble. I loved the class on "Philosophy of Religion" although many of my pastor classmates hated it. I love to look into the deep things of God and deep knowledge which God has given us. Its when we as theologians try to go beyond the truth of the Gospel we get in trouble. How do we cause the deep truths of the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man come together? I don't think we ever will. These things have been debated since Paul brought this deep doctrine to us. I think they will continue to be debated until Jesus comes back. I just hope we can love one another and be as one as He and the Father are one. I think this creative tension keeps our iron sharp and we help keep each other in check. Without this we may become universalist or hypercalvinist and see no need for missions. This is exactly what happend to the General Baptist and the Particular Baptist in England. Grace and peace

2. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Very good. I believe we are talking about the same creative tension except saying it differently. To me, praying for our loved ones is related to "the whosoever will believe" taught in the scriptures. Since this is new to me, I don't always use the accepted theological terms.

Thanks again.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why would it be justice for all men to go to hell? Is it because they are held accountable for their actions? If election is done so arbitrarily, there cannot be justice for those in hell. WE are held accountable for our actions...unless you are "elect"?

4. whatever

whatever New Member

We've all sinned and come short of God's glory, right? Of course it would be just for all of us to go to hell.

And no one said that election is done arbitrarily. God doesn't say that He chose arbitrarily so if we said that then we would be saying too much.

And we are accountable for our actions. The only way out would be for someone to take our punishment for us. Because our condemnation would be just our salvation would be unjust apart from the death of Christ. "It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus."

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nobody has to say it's arbitrary...it is by definition of arbitrary.

6. whatever

whatever New Member

Actually Paul said it was "according to the purpose of his will" - are you saying that the purpose of God's will is arbitrary?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It would be if it went against the requirements He set forth in Scripture.

8. whatever

whatever New Member

The purpose of God's will is to save His people. How does that go against the requirements He set forth in Scripture?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

2Pe 3:9 The Lord does not delay His promise, as some understand delay, but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish, but all to come to repentance.

10. whatever

whatever New Member

So because of 2 Peter 3:9, Ephesians 1:6 doesn't count, or it doesn't mean what it plainly says, or what?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If it contradicts, something doesn't count...either your exegesis of 2 Peter or that of Ephesians 1:6 (which by the way says "in the Beloved"...in Christ...faith...belief).

12. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Piper makes it clear....if one would read this in context

(2 Peter 3:1-10)

13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

If you read it in context, it all FITS.

Anyone can pick and choose a verse here and there. Context RULES....not one verse

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think Anthony Badger makes it even clearer...

15. whatever

whatever New Member

Sorry, meant 1:5. Otherwise, nevermind and have a good evening.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's OK. At any rate "in Christ" is found about a dozen times in the first 14 verses, anyway.

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

???

this says nothing about 2 pet 3.

you keep changing verses on me. :)

18. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

indeed...but as shown before the passages means election. :)

according to the good pleasure of his will

You will always find this when it speaks of election. Some people hate that....for they do not want God having His way. They want their own way.