1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another question for Catholics...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JohnDeereFan, Jan 14, 2010.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, we went to the local Baptist church for believer's baptisms. As for the membership, I can't recall. But yes, it was a different Presbyterian church and that's why we stayed. It fought much of the bad stuff that was going on in the PCUSA at the time including the Reimagining Conference stuff. It was one of two Presbyterian churches on Long Island that was Biblically sound.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One question. Since all members were joining by way of believer's baptism - why were they going to a local Baptist church for water baptism? Why wouldn't that kind of Presbyterian church have its own baptismal font - since that is the only way to join as a believer?

Just curious.

in Christ,

Bob

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No - I don't remember what the requirement for membership was since honestly I was young when I joined and I had been baptized at that point (I do remember them asking about it, though). But even if everyone was baptized there, I don't think they would have put one in because of the cost (it was not a rich church by any stretch of the imagination) and the structure of the church. But realize it's been years since we've been out of there so I don't remember a lot. :) It was a church that was dying so there were definitely not a lot of members joining (actually, by the time we left, the church was about 1/4 of the size as when I joined). We did the baptisms at the Baptist church about 4x a year.