1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another thread about women. . .

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by abcgrad94, May 10, 2010.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those of you who believe women should not work outside the home, run for political office, vote, or should not treat male patients (if a female doctor), I pose these questions:

Would you go out to eat and have a woman serve you, cook your food, or wash your dishes? After all, she may have abandoned her husband, children, and home to go to work.

Do you frequent gas stations where women work outside the home as cashiers?

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Well done. This is the natural progression of the thought. It's a lose/lose situation.

First, women should not be working out of the home, although many of these folks would draw the line somewhere, like not wanting their wives seeing a male doctor.

Then again, if a woman is single and in the workforce, especially in a more highly specialized field like medicine, many would say that she has her priorities out of whack and should be more family-oriented.

We also forget, no matter where we stand on gender issues, that there are women who MUST work to support their family, be it because of tragedy, abandonment, job loss, or extreme financial distress.

The extreme hypocrisy and criticism against women in the workforce is greatly disturbing to me.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe some of us around here could just cut to the chase and admit they view women as inferior beings. Might save some time to know that they believe these women are unclean and unworthy.

Of course another logical end to the belief that we are talking about means that women shouldn't make clothes, dress children, or drive cars since they could cause someone to stumble or because of their inability to realize their divinely created place of being shoeless, confectionery experts, who are baby making factories...to the glory of God. ;)

4. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Wow. Good post.

I don't think these folks realize that their position places women in an inferior place. They hide behind contrived biblical arguments when, in reality, nothing is farther from the biblical ideal than the idea of barefoot and pregnant wives being their godly role.

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Personally, I don't understand people who are still living in the 19th century or earlier. Times have changed drastically; one-income families can barely survive; some husbands are not (or aren't able) providing for their families; and women often NEED to work to survive or to support their children from a broken marriage.

I am barely getting by on my one income (retirement), and I don't understand how an entire family can get by without a second income with the prices of everything skyrocketing faster than the raises in pay.

We need women doctors for women who are not comfortable going to a male doctor, and for men who would prefer a woman's hands on their body to a male's. I've been to massage therapists (both male and female), and I prefer the women therapists.

People need to join the 21st century and let the modern day women be all that they can be (to coin a phrase from the marines) instead of trying to keep them "barefoot and pregnant" and at home "where they're supposed to be", according to the old-fashioned and out-dated thinking of many.

Actually, there is no such thing any more as a "man's job", although there are jobs better suited for a man, and there is no such thing any more as a woman's job, although most men might be too proud to do certain jobs and consider them to be "women's work".

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm just pointing out that if one has a conviction, they should be consistent. You cannot be dogmatic if you just pick and choose. You are either consistent across the board or else you are a pick-and-choose hypocrite.

If you don't vote for women or refuse to have a lady doctor or lawyer because they are out of God's will for being in the workplace, why eat at a restaurant staffed with women? Why send your kids to school to be taught by women teachers? Why call 911 if a woman is the operator?

If something is a sin, it's a sin all the time. It doesn't stop being a sin when it's convenient for you. That's my point.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not voting for women is not the same as anything else in your list. There is a distinct difference.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It is just weird equating women seeing men doctors to any of these other things. The issue is not even in the same ballpark. And in fact more than a little creepy.

#8 Revmitchell, May 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
  9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't vote for women because of the "men are the head of the home and church" belief, I can agree with you. But when people want to use the excuse of "women should stay home" I don't see a difference. To reject one and use another one's service seems hypocritical to me.

10. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Their posts exhibit the obscenely ridiculous measures that people will resort to when someone disagrees with their perfect and pristine will and view for the lives of others. They get so offended because there are others that do not agree with their idea of a perfect world. They are not satisfied to live and let live. They want to find fault or some flaw in others convictions to satisfy their own self righteous point of view. Enough of these hypothetical threads! Is that the only argument that liberal, equal rights, left wingers can make these days? Pathetic. :BangHead:

11. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a liberal, equal rights, left winger and this is not a hypothetical thread. I'm asking a simple question: are you consistent in your convictions or do you pick and choose?

If you're going to boycott one (married with children) woman for working outside the home, you should boycott them all. If you have a God given conviction, fine. Be consistent.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a problem with mothers who work outside of home because they want a career or just want a high standard of living. The truth is that it is difficult for many families to live on one income. Sometimes it is necessary and right. Other times it is not.

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I have yet to see a liberal post here.

14. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies.
    The heart of her husband safely trusts her; So he will have no lack of gain.
    She does him good and not evil all the days of her life.
    She seeks wool and flax, and willingly works with her hands.
    She is like the merchant ships, she brings her food from afar.
    She also rises while it is yet night, and provides food for her household, and a portion for her maidservants.
    She considers a field and buys it; from her profits she plants a vineyard.
    She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms.
    She perceives that her merchandise is good, and her lamp does not go out by night. Proverbs 31:10-17

This seems to me a woman who went outside the home as a business woman. A profitable business woman at that! And yet she maintains her duties to her husband and home. I can't see what the problem is?!

15. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I'm as old as most and older than some, I don't know of a time when women didn't work out side of the home. With that said most didn't until their children were in school and many it wasn't until they were in high school. After WWII many women had been working out side the home in plants and didn't want to go back to how it was. They wanted to have a child and then go back to work and let one of the grand mothers take care of the child so they could make more money and have a little more.

My mother worked at home and home schooled me in most subjects but took in washing and ironing and did a lot of baking for folks and was a very good seamstress, she worked very hard and long hours.

My wife stayed home till children were in high school, then worked out side if she wanted to, didn't have to.

I believe what a woman does or does not do is up to her and her husband, not me.

#15 Bob Alkire, May 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
  16. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without women working in the defense industry the US would have not won WW II.

17. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Maybe fathers shouldn't work outside the home since it takes them away from their families.

Seriously, there are many ways a family can accomplish putting food on the tables. Also, women need to have other aspects of personal calling/ministry than just raising children (which is important, but it's not the only thing). Same thing with dads. And that doesn't mean women have to work in order to do this. Growing up, I saw plenty of homeschooling moms that did a great job while following other endeavors for the sake of ministry or financial necessity.

Dads can do the same thing.

18. RAdam

RAdam New Member

People are letting their emotions get the best of them on these topics.

The bible says mothers were given the great responsibility of raising and teaching the kids. That doesn't mean the father isn't to raise and teach also, but the primary responsibility for that falls on mothers. That should be priority number 1 for them. If a mother can do that and work, fantastic. That's why a great job for mothers is teaching, they can have the same hours as their kids who are in school.

If a mother is being career minded and that is causing neglect to her responsibility to her kids, it is a problem.

I know a lot of mothers who can do both, and I see no problem with it.

19. Cutter

Cutter New Member

This is the same irrational argument made by the corporate mindset of our current educational institutions. They believe, and apparently you do too, that people are incapable of independent thought and lack the common sense to make decisions depending on a number of variables. See, in your world and by your reasoning schools have the weapons free zone not to prosecute the true perpetrators, but the kid that may bring a finger nail file or a pocket knife by mistake on campus, because after all, we must be consistent. We hear of outrages like this all of the time in the news because of people that share your same rigid standard. How about allowing someone to be able to think through different scenarios and situations and apply some common sense. Is that so difficult or is it easier to just say you're not consistent?

20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    RAdam, I am going to have to respectfully and humbly disagree with you here. When I read Deuteronomy 4 and 6, Ephesians 6, Proverbs 22, and Psalm 78, I see where the training, rearing, molding, and disciplining of the child is implicitly directed at both parents and in many cases explicitly directed at the father only.

I don't mean to take away from the mother's role, but we have to look at what the Bible really says.

This is just my opinion, but take it with a grain of salt. Going into the teaching profession because you want the same hours off as your children is one of the worst reasons that a woman can have for teaching.

A woman should go into the teaching profession because she is called by God. Having the same hours as your children is a side-benefit, not a reason to work.

I've seen these women over the past 27 years. They make terrible teachers. They will tell you to your face that they are only doing it to supplement their husbands' income and to be home with the kids. And because their hearts aren't in their work, their students suffer.

This is very, very true.

It's also true of fathers. Men who are so career minded that they neglect their wives and children are the root of problems also.