1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another use for duct tape

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Cutter, May 21, 2008.

1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Parents say students' hotel room doors were duct-taped shut

May 20, 2008

FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MILLBURY, Ohio -- Ohio parents are complaining to a school board that a chaperone sealed students in their hotel rooms with duct tape during a high school choir field trip to Chicago.

At a heated meeting Monday, Michelle Mata told the Lake Local school board in Millbury that the tactic panicked her son during a recent weekend trip.

Sylvia Keeler says she may file charges. Her son, Mark Hummel, says he worried he could be trapped in his room during a fire.

School board president Timothy Krugh told parents the tape was meant to keep students safe.

Schools Superintendent Jim Witt says the idea was to show if students violated curfew. He says the tape wouldn't have kept them from getting out in an emergency.
    Copyright 2008 Associated Press.

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

This here is common practice by our middle school on overnight trips where there won't be a parent to chaperone each room. The kids are told ahead of time that tape will be applied to the outside of the door and if it is missing when a chaperone walks by the room.......

Personally, I don't send my middleschoolers on trips of this nature. I know good and well that there would be a "volunteer" who would retape the rooms upon returning from whatever mischeif they had been up to AND concoct a believable reason for it to be off their own door. How do I know this? Well, I was a kid once!

Seeing as these were high schoolers, I don't see the point at the start with. Once the kids hit high school they are going to behave the way they want too. Don't take them on overnight trips if you aren't reasonably sure they will behave.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I would not let my child go on a trip where they are basically hostages and can not escape in an emergency. If need be, pay a chaperone.

4. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

If duct tape keeps you from opening a door, then you just don't want opened very bad.

5. Gayla

Gayla New Member

When I was a Jr in high school(in OK), we went to a Band contest in TN. The Assistant Band Director got plastered one night and was barfing off the balcony in his hotel room.

That was the biggest scandal of the trip.

This was also in 1980.