1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

answering fools

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Rakka Rage, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Rakka Rage

Rakka Rage New Member

Prov.26
    [4] Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    [5] Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

so whats the verdict? should we answer fools or not?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Answer a fool, but do so with wisdom, and not with foolishness.

3. russell55

russell55 New Member

You don't want to leave someone spouting foolishness completely unanswered, because he'll interpret your silence as an endorsement of his foolish ideas. At the same time, you don't want to stoop to his same level when you are answering--you don't want to get in a tit-for-tat verbal wrestling match with someone spouting foolish ideas, because it'll make him think his ideas are more reasonable than they are.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN!! Just read some of the KJV-MV, CALVINISTIC-ARMENIAN, or YOUNG EARTH-OLD EARTH threads to get 1st hand knowledge of this concept!! (There are others, but these seem to draw the more assinine logic than most!) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

But, which side of each is the foolish one? I know but, I am not going to answer...or shoud I?

Never argue with a fool, he just might be doing the same thing. ;) :cool:

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, Artimaeus, you have spoken with much wisdom here. When I first read your quip, I thought that it was humerous. The more I thought about it though, the more it seemed that this just may be what God sees.

Some of the posts here have sounded like my 7 year old G-daughter, who can really get off on a tangent when she's proved wrong on something, and has no logical replies.

I just wonder how many of mine have appeared to others in this vein? I know that too many times I let pride sneak in and forego the Christian love we are to have for each other.

It's no wonder the world discounts Christianity if/when they see the pettiness that is too often prevalent in many of these threads. :confused:

Thanks, Artimaeus, I'm going to try to be a little more careful from now on!!! [​IMG]

7. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Thanks, just-want-peace, the "beam in the eye" thing is my reminder to not be so harse. Now, if I could just remember it more often.

8. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Taken together, these verses teach the appropriate way to answer a fool (unbeliever who rejects truth). He should not be answered with agreement to his own ideas and presuppositions, or he will think he is right, but rather he should be rebuked on the basis of his folly and shown the truth so he sees how foolish he is.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In one of the lesser known modern versions we see this translation:

10. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Rakka Rage asked:

should we answer fools or not?

Yes, if the circumstances warrant it.
    And no, if the circumstances warrant it.

For example, if you have someone in your congregation who has a reputation for making novel or out-to-lunch comments about your sermons after the service. You know this person is argumentative and you don't want to get into a food fight. So it would be appropriate to brush him off with a noncommittal, "So nice to hear your views on this subject," and go on to the next person.

On the other hand, suppose you have to deal with skeptic who is, in your estimation, a smart-aleck. In his swaggering, self-confident way, he asks you one of those supposed "Christian-stumping" questions that has been debated and dealt with throughout Church history. "Oh dear," you might say, with sarcasm evident, "I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to start all over again."

Unless you make the error of assuming the Proverbs are case law, it's not an either/or situation. Proverbs are aphorisms - nuggets of truth or wisdom that are generally applicable.

[ July 02, 2003, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Ransom ]