1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

anti-depessants

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Do you think it is wrong for a Christian to take Paxil or any other anti-depressant? Is depression a physical malady or is it a spiritual problem or both? Would taking Paxil be selling out to a secular world view or is it possible that an individual could have a chemical imbalance in the brain that could be corrected by a drug like paxil or zoloft? Can a Christian be constantly depressed?

2. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

No
    Usually Physical
    No
    Yes

3. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

I take paxil for Anxiety. I have a Chemical imbalance of (spelling here) Saratonin. If left untreated it can cause frontal lobe damage. It has to do with the "flight or fight mode" ..

As for depression. That CAN notice I said CAN be a chemical imbalance. Some think that it's a lack of faith, eh i'm not sold on that theroy I'm really not. I can tell you my life is better for having taken my Paxil.

4. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

[​IMG] Just like a guy to be Short, sweet and to the point .. nice jeff LOL

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

The chemical imbalance theory is just that.

6. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Good Evening to you too Daniel.

Theroy or no theroy my life has gotten better since I began taking them. As always we agree to disagree [​IMG]

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Oh no not again!
    Ok, you all know the drill.
    Anti-depressants to the left, pro-anti-depressants to the right.
    The undecided should leave now and fast or we cannot guarantee your safety.
    Hands in view at all times folks, keep it clean and no blows below the belt.
    Moderators will be available at all times to drag the injured off to the medical treatment center, aka the All Other Discussions Coffee House thread.
    Gina

8. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Lea, how ethical is it for a doctor to control other people's thoughts by using drugs? What makes him different than a drug pusher?

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) He/she has a medical degree. 2) It's legal.

Just for starts.

HankD

10. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

What I am basically asking is, is taking anti-depressants an admission that. "God, you are not working, I need a drug to make me better." Is taking paxil for depression the same as taking an aspirin for a headache?

11. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Ok Daniel let me give you my story and then you tell me.

let's go back 8 months ago. I wouldn't leave the house, I constantly cried and thought I wasa horrible mother and wife. I was axious, thinking that anyone would come and take my kids, that they could come and take everything I had. I couldn't sleep cause I was so worried. I had attacks that sent me to the floor in extreme pain. My life ........ was awful

Now let's talk about now. I'm confident in the mother and wife I am. I leave the house regularly. I attend church more than I ever have. I'm beginning to care about ME , taking care of my husband, kids , then myself while putting GOD first.

I am in therpy for Social Anxiety ( I can't stand large crowds but i'm doing better ). General Anxiety ( which has all but left me now thank the LORD) , and post tramatic stress disorder , from my teenage years.

Paxil does in NO way control my thoughts. Those are mine. What it does is calm the anxiety so I can concentrate on what is REALLY important and stop worring about the silly things.

UNLESS you have been there Daniel and needed the help please don't make snap decisions. I do not like taking drugs and hope one day with therapy and time and GOD's will I can go without them.

Now I have beared things in this post that is no one's business but mine, and the Lords. I did it for one reason. So maybe you would open your eyes and see the truth. Sometimes people need help. It's not lack of faith, it's a less than perfect body chemistry brought on by trama in my case, genetics in others, and a host of others reasons. I do ask if anyone responds to this post that they be kind.

I am just trying to help and I am not meaning to hurt anyone.

God Bless ,

Wendy Lea

12. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

I think so yes. It helps stop the pain.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any adversity in life can be answered "God, you are not working".

I personally don't see a big difference between medicines to help relief physical pain and those which help relieve emotional stress. If we all had perfect faith I suppose we wouldn't "need" either.

The biggest problem I see with this "pill-for-everything" afluent society we live in is that Christians will often go to the doctor first and then to God when the prognosis is really bad. In that, yes, we are lacking faith and trust. So what else is new?

After we have gone to God in prayer with no positive answer then human factors related to "instinct" and/or survival take over.

HankD

14. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Hmm...

Sitting here on Sunday morning not in church!!

My wife had back surgery 2 days ago and needs me to stay around "on call".

Regarding the antidepressants...

No it's not a sin. And unlike some posters here I actually AM qualified to speak on this. Yes mental illness IS real and no it is not sinful for a Christian to take medication, provided that he/she attempts to deal with the problem in an appropriate Christian manner (prayer, counselling, AND perhaps medication).

Many others may say otherwise but the fact is most of them in truth have no idea what they are talking about.

Daniel, your "theory" on mind control is founded on a lack of understanding of neurobiology and what various drugs do (Paxil is neither habit forming nor mind controlling). You may mean well but you are speaking from a lack of knowledge.

15. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Gina,
    Your quote implies that this subject has been dicussed here before. Can you give me the link? I missed it. Thanks

16. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Charles, I have no use for theological liberals. You do not accept the inerrancy/inspiration of Scripture. Why would it surprise me that you turn to drugs first?

Lea, you must understand that personal stories have no weight in biblical interpretation. It is too easy to misunderstand even your own circumstances. Your story includes several things that perhaps you have not thought of before. Let me point them out for you:

1. I was axious..., I am in therpy for Social Anxiety..., General Anxiety...

2. What it does is calm the anxiety...

3. UNLESS you have been there Daniel...

4. It's not lack of faith...

Okay, now I will respond to your sayings:

1. This is a sin. No matter how you slice it, you are commanded by God to NOT be anxious. Now, would he command you to NOT do something that you are powerless to avoid? No.

Philippians 4:6 says, "Be anxious for nothing."

2. Um, this is what I said. It is a drug that controls you. How do you not see an ethical problem with this? You are trying to control sin by using a drug instead of repenting of the sin. You haven't changed the sin problem. You are just covering it up. So much for freedom in Christ.

3. Although often said by people, this idea isn't effective or biblical. You don't have to experience sin and/or the same problems that others do to still be able to know what should be done. By your reasoning, only those who have experienced rape, drunkeness, addictions, pedophilia, sexual promiscuity, etc., can minister to those same people.

4. Not always. Sometimes it is a lack of understanding. Those who believe the biblical revelation of man and his condition also recognize that God has given us all we need for life and godliness. Your anxiety is sin. God has already given you all you need. Your choice will be to understand what God said, or turn to those who do not understand the biblical revelation and will offer you drugs. Your choice.

17. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Hank, a medical degree makes it okay? I am sure you are aware that there are "doctors" with degrees practicing legal professions who are all to willing to diagnose people with the following "illnesses":

1. Serial murderers
    2. Serial rapists
    3. Pedophiles
    4. Drunkeness
    5. Obesity
    6. Abusers
    7. Theft
    8. etc

Yeah, I trust all degrees too.

18. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Daniel I am a sinner. I will ALWAYS be a sinner. I am trying to live my life the BEST I can. I am trying to DEAL and get this Anxiety out of my life. I don't want it, never did.

I cannot stop being a sinner, I can never be perfect. I can only try to get better.

And, that is exactly what i'm trying to do.

Thank you for your imput though.
    I know anxious and worriedness is a sin though, why do you think I want to get rid of it?

-shakes head and wanders off -

19. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Daniel David,

"Charles, I have no use for theological liberals. You do not accept the inerrancy/inspiration of Scripture. Why would it surprise me that you turn to drugs first?"

Neither do I, since I am not a theological liberal. A would best be described as between moderate and conservative by academic standards.

Recall I didn't say turn to drugs first. I did say that they are an option.

Once again, you argue from a LACK OF KNOWLEDGE. I have an MD ( and by the way I received the highest possible score on the board certification exam) and argue from the standpoint of HAVING knowledge.

The bible commands us also to lay hands on the sick - it doesn't say anything about hospitals or pills. I don't suppose you'd shun those if YOUR family were sick...

Still, I hope God will bless your ministry; and hopefully you will someday beome a little wiser regarding these issues - hopefully not by firsthand experience.