1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Anti-intellectualism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Jun 25, 2013.

?
  1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. PeterM

PeterM Member

Not sure if this fits in the "box"... but I've got people in the church I serve who have openly said to me that they don't "trust" people who have education (doctors and the like... including in the ministry context). As I explored that with them, I asked them what about their medical doctors. They said they liked their current doctor because he didn't wear a suit or tie. He wore jeans and maybe a nice collared shirt.

What I ultimately discovered was that it wasn't the "education" per se that caused them to mistrust, but the aloof appearance and attitude that they perceived. Having a vocabulary that included words with more than 3 syllables, dressing professionally, along with having a terminal degree all seemed to contribute to their thinking.

I have found this to be common, at least where I am.

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Background: Live in a rural country. Attend a church that's about 5 miles from the nearest small town. About 125 for Sunday worship. Pastime is to comment on how well crops are doing along the route to church.

Based on what I see:

Education and serious reasoning is NOT dismissed. That said, there's much concern over how education is being used today. The molding of society, via the government & special interests to conform to non-biblical viewpoints. God has been kicked out of the classroom in favor of tolerance, diversity, and everyone is a winner, regardless. In this context, sometimes think about who's hand is on the potter's wheel.

Glad you used the qualifier "serious" with reasoning. In both Sunday school and in Bible study sessions, much "serious" reasoning (discussion) of topics takes place. Many times the primary focus of the session is abandoned when something within that focus needs further "reasoning". Can't go directly from point A, through B, to C when B needs deeper study.

I have yet to hear a member of one of these study groups address other members in the same manner, often seen here, during these serious sessions. Same old catch words -- stupid, ignorant, dumb, crazy, liar, etc & etc. Regardless of the venue, addressing others with such terms fosters, IMO, an "Anti-intellectualism" state of mind in the listener, when coupled with another aspect of this topic.

When those speaking pull rank. ie "I'm better educated than you." Comes about in many different ways. Referencing degrees plastered on the wall. Coming across as bragging and boasting superiority instead of being a humble student of His word. Name dropping, whether current associations or historical "scholars" when done to elevate the speaker's status. Especially when "serious" reasoning on a subject is taking place.

I can't speak for anyone else. When this rural layman perceives that's taking place, the red flag of "intellectualism" coupled with "elitism" rears its ugly head. Why, you may ask. The answer is found in Proverbs 2:3-6, for example.

In closing, and in my opinion, for whatever, if anything it may be worth. Much of the basis of this topic would disappear if those giving and receiving "education and serious reasoning" would use both Proverbs 2:3-6 and 2 Tim 2:15 as their foundation.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Absolutely.

People in our culture want to feel- not think.

They want experience- not exposition.

Let's be honest about it- many people are dumb and don't care to change.

So they take the easy route around the effort of thinking and claim, "I don't have to study- GOD speaks to me."

Of course he doesn't, but they like to claim he does.

Until people are willing to admit they don't know much- they never will know much.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I concur!
    _______

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who's on the bookshelf? There are many who fundamentalists claim, but who would never self identify as fundamentalist.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I am not trying to pick out any particular group. That would be nothing but opinion.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see some folks cannot behave themselves.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regarding Christian Fundamentalism --it is not one monolithic entity. There are variations. There are indeed numerous Fundamentalists who perfectly fit the anti-intellectual category. But the teachers at Detroit Baptist and Dr.Mark Minnick can certainly not be so characterized,as well as many others in the Fundamentalist camp.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Insecurity concerning our beliefs breeds fear of those advocating an alternate view. Rather than vilify others as elitists or fundamentalists, or know it all blowhards, we need to study and come to the knowledge of the truth. Most misunderstand the verse that says knowledge puffs up, 1 Corinthians 8:1.

Years ago as a child, I filed into the school auditorium, along with most of the student body, there were perhaps 500 kids sitting before the stage curtain which was drawn. Every once in a while someone hidden behind the curtain would bump the curtain, and we would get ready, certain the show was about to begin. Then a voice, deep and powerful, said, "Are you ready?" A few responded yes, but most sat on their hands. After a pause, the voice repeated the question, "Are you ready?" Now we had the idea and we all screamed yes, and clapped our hands. More silence, Then the deep voice said, "Are you positive?" The audience exploded, yes we are positive. More silence. Then the voice said, "Only fools are positive?"

I was taken aback, I had gone along with the crowd and asserted something I did not understand. I had no idea at that age what positive meant.
    1 Corinthians 8:1. :)

#29 Van, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
  10. Herald

Herald New Member

I definitely see it. I see it in those who hold to a hyper-literalization of scripture. This approach to scripture closes down serious study and attempts to take the Bible at face value. That is an admirable idea, but it inevitably leads to some fanciful interpretations of scripture. For instance, when Jesus refers to Himself as the "bread of life" He is not saying He is actually a loaf of bread. It think this approach may be driven by a fear of not being like Rome.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    problem also is that i am not aware of a hyper literalist, as have always taken the bible to be seen at its plain and literal meaning intended, but also taking in account the genre, context, grammar, sentence construction etc!

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those truly intelligent, as opposed to simply "educated", can see the literalness as well as the deeper truths, being aware that there is no conflict 'tween the two.

13. Herald

Herald New Member

If true, then than that is not hyper-literalism. I was not accusing a specific person of hyper-literalism, just making the point that it does exist. I see it when people say, "See? It says it right here in the Bible!" without understanding context or the figure of speech employed. Sometimes a word means exactly what it means. Sometimes it is used for effect.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that is par to of the anti-intellectualism in some churches.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is also an anti-intellectualism that I have seen in some churches that despise their pastor to have any education. It is seen as a threat and prideful.

16. Herald

Herald New Member

I agree. The same people would vote out the Apostle Paul according to their logic.