1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anti-Semites & Christians

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, May 14, 2008.

1. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Why are there so many Christians, from the very early stages of the church who have or do hate the Jews? Why do they feel that as Christians, we have "replaced" the Jew as God's Chosen People? Why do they feel that the promises God made to them in the Old Testament no longer apply? If I am not mistaken, our God is the Same, Yesterday, Today, and Forever.

God is still using the Jews today and will use them during the last days, to show His grace and mercy upon the His Chosen People. Just because He is disciplining them doesn't mean they are no longer His people.

2. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

I don't understand why Christians hate ANYTHING/anyone except sin and evil. :tear:

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I really don't know any christians who hate jews.

4. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Take a look at the beginning of the church, as soon as it began spreading further from Israel, the hatred began against the Jews. Justin Martyr hated the Jews, Martin Luther hated the Jews.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I still don't know any christians who hate jews.

6. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Hmmm...no reason to hate anyone,

however there are plenty of reasons that the OT may have just been one big, grand ol' picture of something else, that is JESUS. Which may be why many don't believe that God's chosen were literally a nation....but those found in Christ. That the nation of Israel was a picture.....and that true Israel are not based off of ethnicity....but by being grafted into the Vine.

I believe Paul spoke about that.

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I may have misunderstood you. In a way, I hope I have! Did you really mean that "belief that there is no longer a special place for natural Jews" is the same thing is "hatred for Jews"? It is quite possible to believe that there is no longer any special position for unconverted Jews, without hating Jews.

8. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

David,

I believe you worded my ideas pretty much the way I wanted to. I also don't understand the hatred side of things either. It appears that there was hate towards the Jews since the very beginnings.

9. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Paul also spoke about the place of the Jew throughout Romans. Referring to God still keeping them close to Him, because they are His people.

So the convenants of the OT were actually towards a group of people and not one nation? So the convenants that stated I will make you a great nation, was not literally a "nation"?

10. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Hmmm....good thoughts. Let me protect myself by saying I'm not sure about all the answers on this issue. But I lean towards the thinking that true Israel are those found in Christ, not by their ethnicity. I think the nation was a picture of the coming church, that the temple was a picture, the law was a picture, etc.

I don't think anyone "replaced" Israel. I think Israel has always been Israel! It has always been about those connected relationally with God...not those born of a certain ethnicity.

11. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I guess I'm saying that people can disagree with LaHaye-type thinking without being anti-semitic. I'm not at all anti-semitic.....but lean towards another way of interpreting some of these issues....although I'm still figuring things out.

I'll just say that the way Hanagraaf explains this in his book "The Apocolypse Code" makes a lot more biblical sense than the way LaHaye teaches it.

As I said, I'm figuring it out....but that doesn't mean I'm anti-semite (not saying you said I am)

12. seraphim79

seraphim79 New Member

I agree with Hopeful, as a Christian I do not hate anyone, Jesus loves all of His children and the best thing i can do is love them all too. Not that I agree with everybody's religious choice or the way certain people live their lives. But I love them and will use my energy to pray for them, not hate them.

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

You are so right, DonnA

I would challenge any person to read the late, great Corrie ten Boom's "The Hiding Place"-----the ten Boom's Casper, Corrie, Betsie, Nollie, and Williem----risking their lives to save Jews-----never bowing to the welms of NAZI swine!!!

Lord, give us the same heart for all as You gave the ten Boom's for Your beloved Jew!!!!

14. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The early church did not hate the Jews so much as distance themself from them. As christianity spead it became more greek and greek ideology was brought into the church. Don't forget that there was a fear as well since the Jews persecuted christians as well as the romans.

15. paul876

paul876 New Member

The early christian empires did perscute Jews from time to time, such as the Roman empire and the Byzantine empire as well as the Holy Roman empire...which Hiltler wanted to restore the Holy Roman empire...as well as the Jews been kicked out of england ect

16. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

What is a Christian empire? Personally, I do not believe even the oft-used term "Christian country" to be biblically correct, let alone "Christian empire".

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul had to lay it on the line, as seen especially in Galatians (which many think is the first written of his epistles which are in the NT canon)-- the purpose of the gospel is not to make Jews out of gentiles; so don't worry about circumcision, festivals, et al. But he also had to lay it on the line in Romans-- God has not abandoned the Jews, and he himself is (not 'was') a Jew; but the gospel must be preached everywhere, and then Israel will be saved. And then in Revelation, Jesus called attention to the Nicolaitans, who he said "say they are Jews, but are of the synogogue of Satan." I have heard arguments that these N's were in fact Jews, meaning Judaizers of the new Christians, claiming they had to get circumcised, observe sabbaths, new moons, et al; but others who say they were 'fake' Jews, who abused the legal status of Judaism (it was recognized by Rome; Christianity was illegal) whose real purpose was to destroy the gospel... actually, either way, their purpose was to destroy the gospel.

So, with this biblical grounding, it was perhaps inevitable that many Christians would 'take their pick' of NT scriptures; and because of the human nature quality to despise those who are different-- as both the Jews and Romans had done to the Christians-- as the Christians gained in numbers and power, they turned this upon its head ["affirmative action"? or maybe just revenge] and claimed their own right to dominate.

IMO that's how it happened.

18. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Usually a hatred towards any other population stems from ignorance. The Jews are still God's chosen people, the apple of His eye, and they will be used again according to the Revelation. Many of them will convert during this time. But if they continue to reject Jesus, they will not enter heaven.

love,

Sopranette